SouthPeak Details New TNA Wrestling Game

Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
Expect to see this dude in it. 
SouthPeak Interactive recently let people know that it had acquired the rights to the TNA wrestling license. The license was previously held by Midway, which as you probably know, was split up a few different ways earlier this year. While the studio responsible for the first TNA game was picked up by THQ, SouthPeak not only picked up the license, but also the portable version of Midway's game.

As such, TNA iMPACT!: Cross the Line will be coming to PSP and DS in the first quarter of next year. Though the press release doesn't go into too much detail about the actual game, Cross the Line sounds like a portable version of the game Midway released on consoles last year. At the very least, the story will be the same, focusing on the character Suicide, who loses his memory after a brutal beating, wakes up in Mexico, and must start fighting his way back to the top.

This also means that the rosters will probably be out-of-date on both games. Sure enough, the game's official page makes mention of "destroying Booker T," who left the company earlier this year.

The PSP version of Cross the Line is in the works at Point of View, while DoubleTap Games is handling the DS version. Both versions are set for release in the first quarter of next year. While you wait for that, here are some shots of the PSP version.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
Expect to see this dude in it. 
SouthPeak Interactive recently let people know that it had acquired the rights to the TNA wrestling license. The license was previously held by Midway, which as you probably know, was split up a few different ways earlier this year. While the studio responsible for the first TNA game was picked up by THQ, SouthPeak not only picked up the license, but also the portable version of Midway's game.

As such, TNA iMPACT!: Cross the Line will be coming to PSP and DS in the first quarter of next year. Though the press release doesn't go into too much detail about the actual game, Cross the Line sounds like a portable version of the game Midway released on consoles last year. At the very least, the story will be the same, focusing on the character Suicide, who loses his memory after a brutal beating, wakes up in Mexico, and must start fighting his way back to the top.

This also means that the rosters will probably be out-of-date on both games. Sure enough, the game's official page makes mention of "destroying Booker T," who left the company earlier this year.

The PSP version of Cross the Line is in the works at Point of View, while DoubleTap Games is handling the DS version. Both versions are set for release in the first quarter of next year. While you wait for that, here are some shots of the PSP version.
Staff
#2 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Looks a bit like the SNES/GEN Super WrestleMania games.

#3 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

They really need to go to SPIKE games with TNA, the guys who made No Mercy and Fire Pro, and you could have a quality game. 

Plus they could say TNA impact on Spike made by Spike

#4 Posted by papercut (3499 posts) -
@thecleric said:
" They really need to go to SPIKE games with TNA, the guys who made No Mercy and Fire Pro, and you could have a quality game.  Plus they could say TNA impact on Spike made by Spike "
i see what you did there
#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

i loved the TNA first game, but eh.. i'd like a new game, thank you very much. 

#6 Posted by IceOrb (182 posts) -
@thecleric: No Mercy was made by Team Aki which has now moved on to making such great titles as Magamania Fashion Girls Mode and Ready 2 Rumble Revolution. 

Now what they SHOULD do is release WWF No Mercy on XBLA and PSN. That'd be fucking sweet.
#7 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

For a sec i read somethin like SouthPark TnA O.O
#8 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Doesn't look so hot, to be honest.

#9 Posted by Stargate174 (173 posts) -

They should make a X360 or PC version, PC would be better and make mods. In addition Hulk Hogan and a bunch of other people are in TNA so why not add them to the game. I'm sure it will sell a lot of units.

#10 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2501 posts) -

Looks sub-par...

#11 Posted by Vance_Helsing (215 posts) -

Looks port-y. 

Too bad that this isn't shaping up to be a true sequel to the first game- that one had a ton of potential. All it needed was some updated rosters, more moves & a better create-a-wrestler mode, and it could've easily taken out any of Yuke's Smackdown games in a head-to-head comparison.

#12 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

Looks just like WWF Attitude to me, without the differences in wrestlers and the ring of course.

#13 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Meh. Tecmo Wrestling on PSP on the other hand would interest me.

#14 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

I think that we need an over the top arcade type wrestling game to inject some life back into fake wrestling. It's hard for me to get excited for it anymore when real MMA has way better characters in it and they are themselves, not some persona. Also, it's a lot more fun to watch.

#15 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

I thought it said SouthPark.. I am decidedly less interested now.

#16 Posted by MeatSim (10855 posts) -

Seems at home with all the other mediocre stuff SouthPeak develops and publishes.

#17 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

Already got the 360 and iPhone games, might give this a shot.

#18 Posted by slayerofheroes (214 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:
" I thought it said SouthPark.. I am decidedly less interested now. "
Ha! So did I. The story sounds ridiculously stupid.
#19 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

Southpeak and another TNA game, theres absolutely no good that will come out of this.  

#20 Edited by Milkman (16798 posts) -

" At the very least, the story will be the same, focusing on the character Suicide, who loses his memory after a brutal beating, wakes up in Mexico, and must start fighting his way back to the top. "

Wait, what? That actually happened in the first game?

#21 Posted by SgtReznor (210 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" For a sec i read somethin like SouthPark TnA O.O "
thank god I wasn't the only person!

I read it and thought "oh sweet, a South Park wrestling game! That'd be freaking swee-- oh wait. damn"
#22 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" " At the very least, the story will be the same, focusing on the character Suicide, who loses his memory after a brutal beating, wakes up in Mexico, and must start fighting his way back to the top. "  Wait, what? That actually happened in the first game? "
It was an awful storyline. Yes, it really happened. Unfortunately.
#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm not excited.

#24 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:
"I thought it said SouthPark.. I am decidedly less interested now. "

same... hehe
#25 Posted by MasterChiefLopez (42 posts) -

AJ STYLES!!!  YAY!!  He is the best wrestler ever.  I hope Southpeak makes a 360/ps3 version soon!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.