Oh God the Memories (Now on Steam)

#1 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

This game only came out last year, but seeing it on steam made all the memories of playing this game flood back to me. Thanks to Alex's review back in November this game joined the pantheon of games that have almost made me sob like a bitch. I don't think I'll actually play it again because it's long, the game play is basically nonexistent, and when it's all over with the story is relativity simple to understand, and remember, but I definitely recommend that anyone who missed this amazing story check it out on steam right now.

#2 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1320 posts) -

I heard some rather nondescript things when it came out, had some vague interest but moved on without bothering. Seeing it on Steam made me try the one hour trial and damn if it didn't pull my heartstrings. I was literally tearing up and struggling to keep it together. Kind of crazy - and I didn't even feel very bad about it since it didn't seem disgustingly sentimental or very emotionally manipulative which tends to tick me off very quickly usually. That being said the gameplay is an excuse to push the plot forward and is at it's best when it doesn't get in the way, the retro graphics don't fit very well - at least they're not my type of thing - but I can live with that. The music is outstanding and the second big plus other than the plot. It's surprisingly funny in parts which gives some respite from the tough shit on occasion. I'm really considering buying it on Steam while it has the release discount. But it definitely is one of those non-games that might actually suffer from trying to be a game in the long run. If the minimalist gameplay elements outstay their welcome that is. It's worth a look either way.

#3 Posted by Zaccheus (1809 posts) -

Whoever you are, wherever you live, whatever you do, hear these words: Play. This. Game.

#4 Posted by AssInAss (2786 posts) -

Bought it from their website first, just need to get around to it. Right now going through Closure.

#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

Oh wow, it's on Steam now? Guess I now have no excuse to not get to it.

#6 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'm still not getting it. I don't want to feel like shit and cry my life. :( Don't judge meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#7 Posted by Zaccheus (1809 posts) -

@Klei said:

I'm still not getting it. I don't want to feel like shit and cry my life. :( Don't judge meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's not depressing, it's beautiful. At least for me. I mean it is bittersweet for sure, but I also found it very life-affirming. You seem like a sensitive person and I'm sure you'd love it. Don't play The Walking Dead thought, that is depressing. :>

#8 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

Ok you guys fine I'll get it.

#9 Posted by matti00 (675 posts) -

Shit, I bought it from their website a few days ago for £1 extra. I'm about half way through at the moment and enjoying it so far, it's legitimately funny. Just waiting for it to destroy my feelings.

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5989 posts) -

@Klei said:

I'm still not getting it. I don't want to feel like shit and cry my life. :( Don't judge meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

There there

I never actually played this game, I just listened to the music and some spoilercast. Seemed kinda messed up.
#11 Posted by Sgtpierceface (661 posts) -

I just needed to write this down somewhere. For a while now, I've always heard or read people say that they cry at the end of a game. I still have no idea how somebody could cry during Bastion or Red Dead Redemption. I can certainly understand the emotions of the moment, but I suppose I've never felt connected enough to the characters or story. This game has finally had that impact on me. I just finished it and I cried more than I've ever cried before at anything. This is the most beautiful game that I've ever had the fortune of playing, and if anybody reading this hasn't played it, do so now.

#12 Posted by Schmidtfire (7 posts) -

The scenes at the cinema and the carnival while both "stargazed"... How I cried!

Some sentences brutally got to me. Like "Don't you want to watch the movie together anymore?" Jaysus......

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.