Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tokyo Game Show 2011

Concept »

The Tokyo Game Show 2011 takes place in the Makuhari Messes from the 15th-18th of September. The show's theme is 'GAME - Dancing Your Heart'.

TGS Spills More Details on PlayStation Suite

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

The idea of PlayStation games showing up on places other than Sony-developed dedicated handheld devices sounded interesting until the company showed off Cool Boarders with a monstrous amount of on-screen buttons plastered all over the screen. Yuck.

The concept remains a good one, however, and at Tokyo Game Show this week, Sony issued more details on its multi-platform PlayStation Suite.

PlayStation Suite is a development platform that will, in theory, allow companies to produce software that can roll out on Vita and PlayStation Certified devices, which as this point is limited to Android.

Right now the only devices under the PlayStation Certified umbrella are made by Sony, and include the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Sony Tablet S and Sony Tablet P. There have been no announcements about other companies getting behind the PlayStation Certified initiative.

If all goes according to plan, it could enhance the content available to users exponentially, as creators putting out software for Android-based devices could easily bring their wares over the PlayStation Store. Sony plans to update the PlayStation Store sometime next spring to accomodate the expansion.

The SDK For the PlayStation Suite will be available starting in November.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

The idea of PlayStation games showing up on places other than Sony-developed dedicated handheld devices sounded interesting until the company showed off Cool Boarders with a monstrous amount of on-screen buttons plastered all over the screen. Yuck.

The concept remains a good one, however, and at Tokyo Game Show this week, Sony issued more details on its multi-platform PlayStation Suite.

PlayStation Suite is a development platform that will, in theory, allow companies to produce software that can roll out on Vita and PlayStation Certified devices, which as this point is limited to Android.

Right now the only devices under the PlayStation Certified umbrella are made by Sony, and include the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Sony Tablet S and Sony Tablet P. There have been no announcements about other companies getting behind the PlayStation Certified initiative.

If all goes according to plan, it could enhance the content available to users exponentially, as creators putting out software for Android-based devices could easily bring their wares over the PlayStation Store. Sony plans to update the PlayStation Store sometime next spring to accomodate the expansion.

The SDK For the PlayStation Suite will be available starting in November.

MrQuizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MrQuizmo

Weird stuff.

Edit: Seriously, Sony is betting on spreading portable stuff across as many platforms as possible. But they'd have to make something I'd want to play first.

But hey, I'll give it a shot.

Sticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sticks

Interesting

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Mistzero

so apps for vita?

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By piropeople13

Well, it can't be a bad idea. It would let vita be a good alternative to people who already have a phone either without physical buttons or a cheap one. Also a good game console for kids when their parents don't want them hogging the tv.

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kasswara

This has potential, I'll wait and see to judge it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By tourgen

an open SDK you can use to build games for Vita?  Well that's probably really good news for Vita.  It might have a shot.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MisterMouse

All depends if developers are willing to make games for it... simple as that.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh this is kind of cool.  I hope it works

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Meh

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coakroach

I couldnt focus enough to read the article since once I read COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL BOOOOOARDERS! HERE WE GO!

Wait whats going on here?

LevelEight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LevelEight

Anyone here who's played a game on Xperia Play and knows how the physical buttons feel like?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Shakezula84
    @LevelEight I played the Verizon Xperia Play at my local Super Walmart and the buttons felt great.

Sadly everyone must be playing it. The touch pads were broken.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By MeatSim

I guess will see in time how this stuff turns out.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Shakezula84

Wasn't the minis program meant to bring cell phone games to the PSP? I'm not opposed to this at all. Cell phones have some great games and the hope is the PlayStation Suite will bring more hardcore games to cell phones. I just get the feeling I'm not gonna see the games I want released on the PlayStation Suite (like Game Dev Story 2). Well see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.