Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tokyo Game Show 2013

Concept »

The Tokyo Game Show 2013 was held at the Makuhari Messe Convention Center from the 19th-22nd of September. A total of 962 products were exhibited at TGS 2013.

TGS 2013 - What News/Games Excite You?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
    • Deep Down continues to look amazing to me. Dark Souls with procedurally generated levels and monsters with randomized attributes and looks? It's giving off a Dead Space-like survival horror vibe too, projected HUD and precision strategic dismemberment controls included. Procedurally generated survival horror games might be what it takes to reinvigorate the genre. So Deep Down is kind of a online-centric dark fantasy survival horror action RPG with procedurally generated levels and monsters with randomized attributes and looks? Talk about ambitious!
    • Monster Hunter Frontier G for Vita (though I still don't quite get what Frontier G is supposed to be, it looks rather different from oldschool Monster Hunter games in the PS3 trailers). MMOish somehow.
    • Gravity Rush 2. The first one kinda felt like Mirror's Edge to me, in the sense that while it's already really cool and unique, there's infinitely more potential still left to be tapped into. It might be in development for PS3 or PS4 from the looks of it. That brief in-engine snippet looks almost too good for a Vita game (or am I just playing too many PSP games on it these days, and forgot how powerful the Vita really is?).
    • Metal Gear Solid V (the Ground Zeroes persenation) keeps amazing me. It seems like Kojima & Co. spent a lot of time playing and studying contemporary games, and bringing all the good stuff into MGS, whilst staying true to the franchise. A MGS game with great playability in proper openish world levels? Yes please! I feel like this kind of openess to Western influences by a Japanese developer is unprecedented. At least without feeling forced and wrong somehow.

What news/games from TGS 2013 do excite you?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MiniPato

Deep Down looks like it could be really awesome. I just hope there's more dungeon types than claustrophobic corridors. But everything about it looks super promising. The spear gameplay does look reminiscent of RE4/Dead Space. It's pretty cool that you can stab an enemy in the leg to cause them to stagger and kneel. Seems like there's other weapon types like sword and shield as well. I hope there's a good variety of weapon types like maybe daggers and bows and they all play differently and cater to different styles. Like Monster Hunter weapon classes. Spell effects look powerful and awesome like the whirlwind, fireballs, rock shields, and of course the time freeze. If it's gonna be an multiplayer online only game, I would hope you can go through all the dungeons with multiple people and not just the big boss fights like the dragon. But yeah, everything I've seen of it so far has me excited for it. It looks good and is at 60 fps as well.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

Deep Down had a really great showing and I think the 4 player co-op dragon fight demonstration definitely turned a few heads. If they can nail the procedural generation and create more varied tile set environments I think the game could be really fun. I know the online only part of Deep Down is sure to turn some people away but it has the advantage of being an evolving product for Capcom. This will allow them to easily update existing content with more varied environments which could lead into different combat scenarios. I'm hoping next time to see perhaps a more open environment or one with more branching corridors.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word on next gen plans for Dark Souls 2 from TGS?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

BF4 is the only game in really excited about right now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The new thing that SUDA51 showed Lilly Bergamo. Shit looks amazing even if all we got was a 40 second teaser

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By artelinarose

Metal Gear Solid 5 looks iiiincredible. I'm interested in seeing some proper footage of Deep Down. I want to know how that game ACTUALLY plays so I will watch that presentation when I get home. Gravity Rush 2! I still need to finish the first one(or actually just play more than the hour and a half that i have...) but it seems like a game that a sequel doesn't seem out of place for as far as how much it could be iterated on goes.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No news on persona 5? :'( I'll see myself out

seriously though deep down looks really really good.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

@seppli said:
    • Monster Hunter Frontier G for Vita (though I still don't quite get what Frontier G is supposed to be, it looks rather different from oldschool Monster Hunter games in the PS3 trailers). MMOish somehow.

Frontier was originally released for PC six years ago and later on 360. It's only an MMO in that it has large lobbies, but still feels justified in charging a subscription fee anyways (of course so did Tri in Japan). It has received regular content updates since its release and the G version actually came out earlier this year. What made it "news" is the fact that it's also coming to PS3, Vita, and WiiU. It's considered to be a spin-off by Monster Hunter fans. It is also regarded as a sort of kiss-of-death for a console. Once a console gets Frontier, you know it will never see a core-series Monster Hunter game again.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli

@seppli said:

Frontier was originally released for PC six years ago and later on 360. It's only an MMO in that it has large lobbies, but still feels justified in charging a subscription fee anyways (of course so did Tri in Japan). It has received regular content updates since its release and the G version actually came out earlier this year. What made it "news" is the fact that it's also coming to PS3, Vita, and WiiU. It's considered to be a spin-off by Monster Hunter fans. It is also regarded as a sort of kiss-of-death for a console. Once a console gets Frontier, you know it will never see a core-series Monster Hunter game again.

Ugh. So likely no Monster Hunter 4 for Vita? That'd be a shame.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@seppli said:

@starvinggamer said:

@seppli said:

Ugh. So likely no Monster Hunter 4 for Vita? That'd be a shame.

Well, the kiss-of-death thing is just a belief held by fans, not an official Capcom policy or anything. That said, I'm not holding my breath.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not like we'll get any of them anyway.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sadly I didn't see a whole lot of news come out of this TGS, which is a shame because I expected this to be a big year for them. All I can think of were the Lily Bergamo and Gravity Rush 2 teasers, along with a handful of demos.

Smashlampjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Jeff and the crew goto TGS this year? I know they we're talking about it on the bombcast just wondering if they will ever go back there...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli

I think if they'd go, it'd be on their own dime these days. And if they'd go on their own dime, they'd not go to cover TGS, but to raid the place. Like Vikings man!

It's been many years, I believe. I'm not even sure if they ever went under GiantBomb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.