Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tokyo Game Show

Concept »

Tokyo Game Show or TGS is an annual video game convention held in Chiba, Japan. It is considered a major industry event with considerable media coverage and industry attendance.

Any of you going to the Tokyo Game Show this year?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

Any of you fellow Giant Bombers are going? I really want to, but my friend doesn't have $1500 to spare this september. If I go to Japan, it'll be for at least two weeks since it'll gonna be my first time and I want to experience as much as possible.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Man I should honestly go. All the Japanese babes that'll be there... We'll see. Probably not but here's to hoping!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AuthenticM

Damn, this sucks. A ticket plane along with an 8-day stay in a four-star hotel came just under $1500 on Expedia.ca. My parents were willing to pay half the price, since they agreed it would be something worthwhile to experience, but my friend can't find the money. It feels as if a golden opportunity has just been thrown away. I'm sad. :(

DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DrewInJapan

I haven't yet decided if I'm going or not. I've been in Japan just about 5 years and only gone twice. The last time I went was in 2006. 2005 was great as it was my first chance to get hands on with the 360, which wasn't coming out for a few more months. I went in 2006 because a co-worker wanted to go and didn't want to go by herself. The last two years I skipped because there really wasn't anything I felt a strong desire to make the trip for. Now that I live on the other side of Tokyo from Chiba (where TGS is held), it's a minimum 90-minute train ride with at least 3 transfers.

For those of you considering it, is there anything at the show you're excited about this year, or is it just the idea of TGS itself?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

No, but I am doing PAX, which is just as good because you get to hang with fellow gamers

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AuthenticM
    @DrewInJapan said:
    Now that I live on the other side of Tokyo from Chiba (where TGS is held), it's a minimum 90-minute train ride with at least 3 transfers. For those of you considering it, is there anything at the show you're excited about this year, or is it just the idea of TGS itself? "
    Wow, you're telling me it takes 90 minutes to get from one side of Tokyo to the other by train? We're far from the Montreal subway system I'm accustomed to.
    DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrewInJapan
    @AuthenticM said:
    @DrewInJapan said:
    Now that I live on the other side of Tokyo from Chiba (where TGS is held), it's a minimum 90-minute train ride with at least 3 transfers. For those of you considering it, is there anything at the show you're excited about this year, or is it just the idea of TGS itself? "
    Wow, you're telling me it takes 90 minutes to get from one side of Tokyo to the other by train? We're far from the Montreal subway system I'm accustomed to.
    It depends on where you are and where you're trying to get to. Tokyo Game Show is not in Tokyo itself (and hasn't been for some time now). It takes me about 25 minutes to so to get to Tokyo from Yokohama, then I've got to cross all of Tokyo, and THEN head out into Chiba (the prefecture east of Tokyo) to get to Makuhari Messe, which is the convention center where TGS is held.

Also the 23-wards of Tokyo (what most people think of when they think of Tokyo) cover about 620 square kilometers. Montreal is about 365. Bit of a size difference there.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By captain_clayman

i'm not made of money

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'd rather go to PAX. I just don't like the idea of all the games and trailers being in another language and having to deal with translation and all that stuff.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AuthenticM
    @DrewInJapan said:
    " @AuthenticM said:
    @DrewInJapan said:
    It depends on where you are and where you're trying to get to. Tokyo Game Show is not in Tokyo itself (and hasn't been for some time now). It takes me about 25 minutes to so to get to Tokyo from Yokohama, then I've got to cross all of Tokyo, and THEN head out into Chiba (the prefecture east of Tokyo) to get to Makuhari Messe, which is the convention center where TGS is held.Also the 23-wards of Tokyo (what most people think of when they think of Tokyo) cover about 620 square kilometers. Montreal is about 365. Bit of a size difference there. "
    I've got a question for you: would a tourist like me, who don't speak Japanese at all, be really handicapped ? I mean, I'd be going over there on vacation, sightseeing and stuff. Is English enough for this? I'm sure they hire bilingual people over there for airports, hotels and stuff, no?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Message KaosAngel, he is a Giantbomber and lives in Tokyo, maybe he can help you out in someway.

DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrewInJapan
    @AuthenticM said:
    I've got a question for you: would a tourist like me, who don't speak Japanese at all, be really handicapped ? I mean, I'd be going over there on vacation, sightseeing and stuff. Is English enough for this? I'm sure they hire bilingual people over there for airports, hotels and stuff, no? "
    If you're only coming to Tokyo (and its immediate surrounding areas), a lack of Japanese will not be a problem. All the subways have multilingual signs and the ticket machines have an English option. The airports and major hotels generally have multilingual staff, and some of the larger shops around Tokyo will as well. I've been here almost 5 years and am far from fluent, and have very little problems. If you were going somewhere out in the countryside, the language barrier would be much ore significant.

Also, if you're coming over on a budget, consider staying at a ryokan instead of a hotel. It's a mix between a traditional Japanese inn and a youth hostel. I stayed at the Taito Ryokan on my first trip to Tokyo in 2003 and it was very convenient. You may also want to check out Asakusa Smile or Khaosan Oringinal. I've never stayed at either of thost, but lived in the neighborhood where they are for 2 years.

If you have the means and opportunity, I'd suggest making the trip. Tokyo is an amazing city, and worth seeing. It doesn't define Japan though, and is in fact quite different from the rest of the country. I know it's hard to "see it all" on a short trip, so decide what you most want to see before you come over, and plan around that.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AuthenticM

@DrewInJapan
    Thanks a lot for your advice. If my friend can manage to find the money, we're definitely going. I calculated that it'll cost me $300 more if I chose the 4-star hotel over Taito Ryokan. Since my mom is paying a part of the trip for me, we'll go for the hotel this time. Know anything about Prince Hotels? I spotted the Tokyo Prince Hotel, which seems quite convenient. Do you know any restaurants, vistae, places or other stuff that you would recommend to western tourists who want to experience Japan as much as possible in 7 days? I would greatly appreciate further advice.

DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrewInJapan

The Prince hotels have a pretty good reputation, though I've never been in one. You may want to consider staying in Shinjuku if you can find a place there at a decent price. When my parents came to Japan last year they stayed at the Shinjuku Washington Hotel. Shinjuku is wonderfully convenient, as most of the major train lines pass through Shinjuku Station. (This also makes the station very large, busy and potentially confusing.) 

If you want a good view of the city there's the Tokyo Metropolitan Gov't Building in Shinjuku which has a great view of the city. You really get a feel for just how far the sprawl extends from up there. Shinjuku also has tons of good shopping (both games and otherwise) and some decent arcades. Akihabara is also easy to get to from there. Just hop on the Chuo line and you're set.

Other stuff to see in Tokyo. If you want a bit of history and lots of touristy shopping, check out Asakusa. Sensoji Temple and Kaminarimon (an old gate with a massive lantern in the middle) are must-sees in that area. (Disclaimer - I lived in that area for 2 years and am very partial to it.)

What kinds of stuff are you interested in? Give me some ideas and I can give you better pointers on things you might like to see.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By demonbear

I'd rather visit Giantbomb Headquarters and go grab a beer with Dave afterwards. How much would that cost, i wonder...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM
    @DrewInJapan said:
    What kinds of stuff are you interested in? Give me some ideas and I can give you better pointers on things you might like to see.
    Food. I'm not going to travel 10 000km to eat hamburgers and lasagna (if they even know what this is). Do you know any restaurants/joints that I should check out? My friend told me there is a dish in Japan consisting of a living octopus that one must swallow whole. I WANT to try that.
    bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By bunnypot

Yes! I'll be there for TGS with some buddies. I'm coming form Australia and I've got a bunch of cash saved up! If anyone is living in Tokyo and wouldn't mind meeting up and having lunch or beers or something before or after TGS I'll be around for awhile and I'd love to make some Japanese speaking friends.

I'll try my best to do my whiskey brothers proud and upload pictures of all the booths, merch and babes I see :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.