Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 26, 2015

An Atlus-developed RPG for Wii U set in a modern-day world of music and art featuring characters and gameplay elements from Intelligent System's Fire Emblem franchise mixed with elements from the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

Tips, Tricks, and Questions Thread

• 119 results
    Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

Wow, this game turned out fantastic! Unfortunately, there's not a lot of discussion online regarding this super awesome game, so I decided to make a tips/tricks thread and area to ask gameplay questions. The systems are very well laid out in this game, but there are a few things I wish I had known early on that would have saved me time/headache.

• Save often! This game is very old-school in the way it handles saving. There's zero autosaves, and if you die you don't even get the "start from the beginning of this floor" they added in Persona 4 Golden. If you die you load your last save, period. I lost about 3 hours progress once, don't be me!
    • Speaking of saving often, those Savage Enemy Encounters are no joke! Depending on your progress through the chapter you're in, you may be in for a seriously insurmountable fight during a Savage Enemy Encounter. Don't be afraid to burn a Smoke Machine, or do what I do and save the instant you see one. If you do that, you can try the encounter to attempt to get the Detritus, but if you die you'll be at the same spot with no progress lost and no savage encounter in your face.
    • If you've fully inherited a Carnage and have a new one available at the Bloom Palace, go grab it and switch right away. There's really no reason not to bounce out and get your new weapon ASAP, since the dungeons are very generous with warp points and you'll waste mastery otherwise.
    • AOE spells can still trigger Sessions, but you need to make the weak target the "main target" of your spell. Basically, when casting an AOE spell like Mazio if there's only one or two enemies weak to Lightning, make sure that the targeting reticle is on top of one of the weak enemies to properly trigger a Session. This is kind of an irritating UI oversight; it should probably just always trigger a Session.
    • Speaking of Sessions, there are a few queues that tell you how a Session is going to go besides the untranslated Japanese dialogue. Above each of your characters in battle is a big portrait of them. If it lights up yellow, it means they'll be participating in a Session if you initiate it. If a skill is going to be blocked during a Session, that character's portrait will turn red. In addition to this system, on the left side of the screen is a list that shows the order of the Session and what skills will be cast during it. Occasionally you'll want to use this to try and get your magic users to use magic skills instead of physical skills, or avoid a resisted elemental skill in the chain.
    • Once you have 4+ party members, during battle any party member aside from Itsuki can bounce out and bring in another member at any time. Just like swapping Personas on Yu in Persona 4, you don't even lose a turn! Just select Change from the battle menu and you can swap in another member, who can then attack as usual. This allows you to avoid elemental resistances or weaknesses.

That's about all I can think of for now. Feel free to add more below!

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I have some questions. Can you ONLY mess with skills when a Carnage levels up and gains a new skill? Also already saw that if you get the same skill from two different weapons you gain a +1 to it. If you drop a skill to give the slot to something else, then grab it again later do you start over at 1 or do you get to have the old + value?

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Are any "FE :The Sacred Stones" characters in this game? I heard they only have characters from awakening and shadow dragon.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't find the round elevator the girl wants me to visit in the very first quest you get. I suck at video games.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bezerker85

When will they stop milking the anticipation for Austin's last QL?

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By azulot

@oldenglishc: just follow the dungeon through. There will be a shiny object on the floor.

@westernwizard: do you mean changing them out? If so, then yes. You can only apply skills when a new one is learned. However, if you want to sort them for organizational purposes, you can do so from the Artists page (after pressing the button to access skills). To answer your additional question, if you have Zio+1 and scrap it, I believe the next time you get Zio and opt to put it in your set, be at its base or original level, not the upgraded level.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of Requests - is there any way to access your active requests? I'm aware you can see the icons on the map but didn't know if there was a section of the menu/Topic that I was missing.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBlue

@katpottz: Doesn't seem like it. I find it really odd that they threw so many FE1 characters considering very few of them have anything even resembling a personality. Seems like a missed opportunity ignoring FE7 through Radiant Dawn at the very least. It would've been neat just to have all the Lords and Villains be the Mirages.

EDIT: Now I just want a SMT game where all the demons/personas are FE characters...

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezerker285: I have no idea, but it's driving me crazy. I've been checking in a lot to see if it was posted.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Good tips! Luckily I figured all of these out myself so far. Sucks to hear about your lost progress though :( I was surprised there wasn't any "retry battle" option at all, but luckily I'm pretty OCD about saving.

I'm loving the game so far, it's very cheerful and silly and I enjoy all the mechanics and gameplay systems.

@azulot said:

Speaking of Requests - is there any way to access your active requests? I'm aware you can see the icons on the map but didn't know if there was a section of the menu/Topic that I was missing.

It doesn't seem like it; that's my only usability complaint with the game. Because of that, I have been trying to finish off requests ASAP after accepting them.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@theblue: Yeah, the original teaser trailer had 15 FE characters from ~6 games so it's disappointing to see them cut so much. It seems like they bet big on Awakening's popularity considering the west has no nostalgia for the first game. Also how the fuck is Marth not in a fire emblem crossover game?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The request system is probably what needs the most work if they were ever to do a sequel (haha). There doesn't exist a way to look at active requests, and no way to tell which are repeatable. Seems to me that every time you change a chapter or intermission, all the "Kill specific enemies and deliver their items to the Hee-Ho Mart" requests reset. This is kind of useless though, since all they reward is one or two Melmarks for the lottery.

Another thing I'm noticing is that buffs are WAY more useful in this game than any other Persona game. When you get into enemies chaining sessions of 3-4 attacks on you, Rakukaja can save your ass.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like all SMT games I've heard there is a true ending so you might want to google what to do before the end if it matters to you.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider: From what I've read you just have to do everyone's side stories before the last boss, kinda like Mass Effect 2. They're fun and well-written so it seems a given anyways.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing I'm noticing is that buffs are WAY more useful in this game than any other Persona game. When you get into enemies chaining sessions of 3-4 attacks on you, Rakukaja can save your ass.

Playing on hard mode, those support spells are vital. They've definitely saved me from some party wipes. It also helps that they give us spells that effect the entire party like in SMT, instead of the single person versions that you eventually get to upgrade like in Persona. I hate buffing and debuffing in Persona at least in early game because of that.

Also, Itsuki's Fang Breaker attack is so good.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

From my time with the game so far (I just finished chapter 2), understanding where both Fire Emblem and SMT/Persona come from will really help you get the combat system.

• If you've never played Fire Emblem before, speed is king. Speed not only controls evade, but also allows you to take an action multiple times in a turn if your characters are fast enough (speed stat is five more than the enemy).
    • While letting enemies strike weaknesses in SMT games is typically a bad idea, it often means death in this game. Any more than two enemies pulling off a session against one of your characters pretty much means death. Switch characters out as soon as possible if an enemy is exploiting their weakness.
    • If you've never played an SMT game before, don't sleep on stat boost and effect skills. Rakukaja is almost mandatory for any difficult encounter.
    • This game's "mute" equivalent status effect is pure death, as it also prevents that character from engaging in sessions.
    • You're going to have to make a lot of hard choices very quickly in the game as to what skills to keep and forget. The first ones you should ditch are any skills which items can easily replace. Don't bother keeping healing skills on anyone who isn't Tsubasa or Posumudi on pretty much anyone.
    • Powerful single target abilities easily trump multitarget abilities in this game. You need to get rid of enemies as quickly as possible as you won't survive long with four to five enemies attacking.

Hopefully some of this is of help.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I'm still early but I want to know something. Do skills that occur during a session combo proc from the original attack's type, or from the last session skill? I only have Zio and Elec-Lunge which combos with that but for a 2x combo (presumably when I get another party member) will it trigger from the zio, or from the elec lunge to get the higher combo?

Thanks for all the tips so far.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Sessions skills will combo off of either. Using an electric command skill (Zio) will trigger Elec-Lunge, but Elec-Lunge can also trigger off a session skill that ends in Elec, like one that goes Sword -> Elec. You'll get a whole bunch soon enough and they shuffle around accordingly.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What level were most of you during the first boss? I got my shit pushed in pretty hard because of her using that de-buff skill then getting session attacks with her two supports.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@socuteboss: I was around level 13/14 I think. I had Touma doing most of the work with Tsubasa perma healing and Itsuki switching between healing/damage. Tsubasa died once during that fight since she's weak to their attacks and took every attack in a row one turn. Also, buffing helped ease that fight a bit.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@instantryan:

good to know, my characters are only level 10 so maybe I'm just a bit under-leveled. Also is this game like persona where you use a buff once and that's it till it wears off, or can you stack them like in main line SMT games?

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InstantRyan

@socuteboss: I think the buffs state they last for 3 rounds and I'm not sure if they stack. I'd have to check again when I'm home

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@instantryan: I think he was asking if subsequent casts of the same buff increases we the effect of the buff, like in mainline SMT games. As far as I can tell in TMS#FE, it doesn't.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you chain more than 2 follow up attacks?

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azulot: when? I already beat 2 dungeons and unlocked a skill that reward 3+ chains without any means to perform one.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I'm in the third dungeon and haven't unlocked the subcast chain skills yet, but I can see them now so probably soon after that?

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By azulot

@quid_pro_bono: @pyrodactyl: It took a little bit - I think I was at the end of the third dungeon before Tsubasa got the radiant skill unlocked. It happens at Stage Rank 8.

I just finished the fourth dungeon, and no one else has that ability yet though.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azulot: it's on a per character basis?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alistercat

Any tips on which foods/drinks to get between dungeons? I'm guessing there isn't a 'best' one, but I would like to know if there are any especially good ones.

Edit: Also, an explanation of how this system works? The first vending machine drink I had changed my luck but now nothing is.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I got a spice item that mentions healing and upping speed. Is it a temp boost to speed or a permanent one? It doesn't specify which makes me think temporary but don't want to assume.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westernwizard: Well, you can't use it in battle, and I just used it and it seems permanent.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@alistercat: I don't think it's complete, but here's a list of food and their luck ratings for each character.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WesternWizard

@alistercat: awesome thanks. Guess it is going on Itsuki then.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm a lot farther in now but two things I'm not sure of yet.

1) Does going master class only ADD carnage forms, or does it remove base ones you would've otherwise unlocked? I'm assuming only add but want to check

2) Is there a cap on the number of times you can re-level a weapon to get skills from it? Both in the sense of upgrading them and in the sense of skills (aka does it cap out at +9 or some such but still continue to let you relevel to get more weapon ups?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cannonballbam

I am about 25 hours in and at the chapter 4 intermission before chapter 5. The combat, art and style are my favorite parts of this game. A lot of attention and detail went into the menu, as well as the messaging system via the Wii U tablet. But I got to say that the story and soundtrack are a let down. I can't tell you how many times I have either muted the TV; although I do like the pop songs that are sprinkled in the game.

My advice for anyone starting is to play on an easier difficulty, because you can always change it in NG+ after you have beefed up your characters. Use all 20 save slots consecutively, in case you want to go back to fix something or start over. Do all of the side quests, as they unlock "ad-lib" attacks that can cause some major damage; not to mention the "duo arts" you get from them. And unlock "open audition" for everyone as soon as its possible, It makes a big difference in combat.

Besides that, enjoy Shojo Persona.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I didn't understand until yesterday that this is Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. I was wondering why all of a sudden people were talking about this game I never heard of. I must have missed the name change.

However I did not miss that they censored the crap out of it and I don't own a Wii U anyway so too bad.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cannonballbam: I've really enjoyed the soundtrack and story so far. The story doesn't really do anything new, but the execution is on point.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game's story lives and dies on the characters. I just completed Tsubasa's last side mission so that left a nice buzz to call it for now.

Also I have to say the late game power curve (on normal) is kind of weird. I went from struggling on some bosses to obliterating new ones on the first try. Some of it is stuff like keeping Mamori in the party for that absurd party heal + action, but as I start getting med damage chain moves and all the crazy late game radiants everything is opening up so fast. Oh and my god when Duo actions proc...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alistercat
    No Caption Provided

I found a way to farm the first golden 'Rare enemy' that drops Macca Converter, a rare item used for carnage unity. These enemies rarely appear, like the savage mirages, but they run away from you instead of towards you and can disappear quickly. They drop the same item regardless of dungeon, and are easy to defeat.

Go to the Daitou TV idolasphere and warp to Film set B. Head to the spot marked in the screenshot with Slowma (to prevent the enemy from getting away) and Riberama (to force it to spawn). You could also use Fasterine S and Attracter Spray.

As you approach from the fork in the road it should spawn at the indicated location. After the battle running back to the fork should be enough for it to spawn again. Repeat to farm money and the performa Macca Converter.

For the second enemy:

Update: A trick for the second golden rare enemy, as posted by munocard on reddit.

It's worth noting that I found a pretty good spot for the UFO rare enemy in the Daiba Studio. If the TV screens are showing the treasure room on the top left, then go to the corresponding treasure room, and there's pretty consistently one in the area you reach by going up a ladder. Plus it's a small confined space, so it can't really run away from you.

Use the same combo of spells as with the other enemy.

renkintelier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By renkintelier

I'm at the very end, I think.

Barry's sidequest has me going through the dungeon where you have to go through the rooms in the correct order, but they don't tell me the code. Am I just supposed to remember it from three hours ago? The NPC doesn't give it to me again. Help?

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WesternWizard

The memo is in your inventory. However the code is also 018769

Edit: Also on my power curve comment before. Was doing great, hit the chapter boss that is near the end and without over leveling or using a certain consumable I feel like it is going to be a nightmare (I haven't cleared this boss yet but it has all the hallmarks after my quick wipe on the one attempt before bed... I think I'm going to go level some and hope I get some better ideas while doing it).

KogX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I am around 11ish hours into the game and now are getting more skills then I can have on a character. Is there a way to get those skills back like Pokemon move relearner style? Am I screwing myself if I am trying to diversify their move list instead of focusing on a certain attack?

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kogx: Yeah, a couple chapters in you'll be able to re-forge weapons and learn moves off them again as long as you have the mats.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kogx: You eventually can re-level weapons to get moves back. In terms of diversity, I think it depends on what the character is. Generally speaking, I focus on their melee and main spell type. The rest of their skills we be support moves (Say a 2-2-2 split). However, some characters are better to diversify a ton since they are built to be more general spellcasters. Honestly though, it all depends on what sort of party setup you have in mind. With the way party switching works, I like being able to swap in a set of specialists rather than having a bunch of generalists.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one thing that puts a kink into discussion of skill decisions is the Arena. Can't swap characters so picking skills assuming you can swap stops working, and can't use items so avoiding buffs because you can use stones stops being "right" for that scenario either. Personally I focus on variety of damage abilities (including stuff like Charge and Concentration) plus heals. And due to the fact several bosses have guard abilities that prevent you from killing their minions you really need at least a few multi-hit attacks to bypass that nuisance.

Frankly I wish they gave you like 2 more slots for commands and sessions (on top of the fact that you unlock one more of each slot late game). but such is how things go. Currently plowing through arena to level up skills and finish it off (mastered basic and working on intermediate now) before completing the near-end game boss I'm on so I've seen every zone but I believe one.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesushammer:I am glad that you get something out of the story. Maybe it's because I have been consuming Japanese media for 20 years that I can spot troupes in the storytelling. That said, the same can be regarded when talking about Western narratives, so to each their own.

I am however, disappointed with the localization as there have been several occasions where the text on screen doesn't match the dialogue. Other than that, I have been able to enjoy the game even after I started skipping the dialogue.

@westernwizard: I have the same problem and kinda wish they would give you 10 slots for commands, sessions and abilities. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I have stared at a screen and decided which one would be better in the long haul, when both would compliment each other.

@alistercat: Thanks for the advice! I found a good farming spot that doesn't require a lot of effort for both. You can get the first enemy to constantly spawn on the 7th floor of the Idolasphere Shibuya 106 when entering the orange dress from the 6th floor right arm. And the second enemy will spawn outside the door of the second floor of the second building in the Daitou TV Idolasphere, after you exit one of the two doors to the left of the transporter.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By redyoshi

@westernwizard: Since I really enjoy the battle system, arena is a fun diversion for me, so that's something I'm thinking about as well. Right now I have my party built with the assumption of being able to use items so that buffs/debuffs and status dispell skills don't take up too many slots. I've finished Beginner and can get through Intermediate and both encores as I am now, but I imagine the advanced class requires a lot more thought into party set-up. Since I finally got Open Audition on the last party member, I'm going to consider how I'd like to build everyone now for Arena vs Story, and maybe spend some time grinding mastery for skills I've had to pass over.

It would be great if I could just stack a bunch of Null Status passives on Mamori and get by with her healing and tanking, and occasionally popping off a special skill.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cannonballbam: I've been consuming Japanese media for about just as long and I guess I built up an immunity to anime tropes unlike most that just got sick of them. I now just enjoy those traditional tropes based on execution which I think this game does well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.