Author Tom Clancy Dies at Age 66

• 134 results
#51 Posted by thornbush (32 posts) -

RIP

#52 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

Ding Chavez will live in our hearts and minds forever.

Haha, yes I always liked the Chavez character. He's the guy to lead your team for sure.

Chavez

Vega

#53 Posted by AMyggen (2609 posts) -

Most of his run up to Red Rabbit was great, but the man always needed a better editor. Most of his later stuff was convulted dreck imo, almost a shame that he never really tried his hand at other genres.

RIP.

#54 Posted by GermanBomber (139 posts) -

Another legend is dead, but his name and work will be remembered for a very long time. Rest in peace, Tom.

#55 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

It would be ironically hilarious if someone had "bumped" him off.

It would have been the way he would have wanted to go.

#56 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2591 posts) -

I'll miss him for his first four books.

#57 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6388 posts) -

Bummer, dude. Wish I was old enough to experience the ultra-realistic Rainbow Six games. I didn't get into the franchise until Vegas.

#58 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

R.I.P

#59 Edited by hollitz (1443 posts) -

Undoubtedly a life well lived.

#60 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

I loved the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games R.I.P.

#61 Posted by mattscout007 (86 posts) -

Sad news, he was a talented writer, and lent his name to some excellent games. He will be missed. RIP.

#62 Edited by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@godlyawesomeguy said:

Bummer, dude. Wish I was old enough to experience the ultra-realistic Rainbow Six games. I didn't get into the franchise until Vegas.

When Rainbow Six came out in 1990 it looked great in my opinion and delivered gameplay and a pacing to the action I hadn't experienced before. Instantly hooked. There hasn't been a game since that has managed it, and that's very sad and a bit surprising too. I don't think gamers want to take their time and plan/trial and error in their shooters anymore. I think that this specific genre of gaming, the tactical shooter, lived and died with the old Rainbow Six games in the 90s and early years of 2000.

#63 Edited by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

He's probably learning his ghost protocol right now.

#64 Posted by sadsadsad (102 posts) -

R.I.P.

#65 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

May he rest in peace. I enjoyed the first three or so Jack Ryan books a lot, but it's Red Storm Rising that takes top position. Excellent what-if fiction that must of had a ton of research put into it. I know he worked on it with another author but still deserves just as much praise.

#66 Edited by Tedtded (37 posts) -

Rest In Peace.

#67 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

His funeral will get out of control.

It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

#68 Posted by aidros (234 posts) -

RIP. I bet he's headed to that great Command Center in the sky aboard an angelic submarine...

#69 Edited by Korolev (1700 posts) -

I enjoyed his earlier works. He started to lose steam a bit towards the end. I feel that he didn't quite know what to write about after the USSR collapsed.

Condolences to his family.

#70 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3803 posts) -

RIP Tom. There were a few years when I was younger that I read nothing but Tom Clancy books. Jack Ryan, Domingo Chaves and John Clarke are still some of the coolest characters I've come across.

#71 Edited by cikame (972 posts) -

:( sad times, thanks for all the stories and characters you gave us sir, fly away into the military themed haven that awaits you.

Favorite game, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Favorite book, Without Remorse.

#72 Posted by Wraith1 (556 posts) -

He was only 66? I thought he was older than that. RIP

#73 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (616 posts) -

Hopefully he's chilling up in heaven with the magical "Rainbow Six".

I don't know anything about Tom Clancy fiction.

#75 Posted by Slayeric (257 posts) -

RIP Clance. I loved the Rainbow Six games. :(

Never made it through one of his books though. I love military film and stories, but something about having all of that info down on page made me glaze over once he's going into the details of stuff...

#76 Edited by Dezinus (243 posts) -

Ugh, 2013 just sucks. Worst year, all years.

#77 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

RIP

#78 Posted by edudewired (8 posts) -

Talk about a legacy. Tom Clancy was the finest author of military fiction to ever put pen to paper. Sad to hear of his passing. Rest in peace!

I propose a Tom Clancy themed Unprofessional Fridays in rememberance!

I second this idea.

#79 Posted by Luck702 (387 posts) -
#80 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

I liked the tactics game on 3DS. RIP

#81 Edited by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -
#83 Edited by zacharai (86 posts) -

This is sad. I read every one of his books when I lived overseas in the mid-90's.

#84 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

#85 Posted by gbrading (2002 posts) -

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield still my favourite Clancy-inspired game. Never read any of his books but I fully expect Ubisoft will continue to use his name on video games.

#86 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Never liked those games anyway haha

#87 Posted by Alex (1978 posts) -

@driftspace: Prolificacy is a word. And yes, it means prolific, not the second definition you cited there.

Staff
#88 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

A lot of deaths this year...

#89 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I loved the original Rainbow Six on pc back in the day. What I would give for a graphically updated game that had the same super tactical mechanics. R.I.P. Clancy-bro.

#90 Edited by aceofspudz (926 posts) -

@aleryn said:

May he rest in peace. I enjoyed the first three or so Jack Ryan books a lot, but it's Red Storm Rising that takes top position. Excellent what-if fiction that must of had a ton of research put into it. I know he worked on it with another author but still deserves just as much praise.

I should try to read Red Storm Rising again. I really, really loved the NATO Vs. Warsaw Pact what-if stuff, but there was zero chemistry in the Iceland romance subplot, and the Iceland stuff in general just seemed to slow the book down to a crawl.

Edit: Oh, favorite Clance game: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon.

#91 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

The 5 or so Clancy books I had read after 98' or so were terrible, but in middle school those initial novels were the ones that really started my love of reading. Rest in peace.

#92 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -

I posted this in the forum already, but I may as well repeat myself:

I think it's funny that a man who started with writing semi-realistic cold war espionage novels will be remembered for a franchise of video games where the Russians are still a credible threat and nukes go off every 5 minutes. I read most of his books and there's a turning point somewhere after Clear and Present Danger where his stuff starts not only getting way more ridiculous, but way more political as well since his main character becomes president and fixes everything that's wrong with the government while also fighting off a biological terror attack from not-Iran.

#93 Posted by AV_Gamer (597 posts) -

I appreciate that his novels lead to video game franchises like Splinter Cell and the Rainbow Six series. Seems like his son is determined to continue the legacy, so those type of video games won't end, hopefully.

#94 Posted by subyman (590 posts) -

I never read any of his books, but I played many of his games. I absolutely loved the first Rainbow Six. I didn't realize he was so young. Its a tragedy to lose someone so prolific in pop culture, especially at his age.

Condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

#96 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -
#97 Edited by Norusdog (341 posts) -

"We are saddened to learn of Tom Clancy’s passing and our condolences go out to his family. We will continue to honor him by continuing to sully his name and release garbage games with his name tacked on to capitalize on" a representative from Ubisoft wrote on the company's Facebook page this morning

~fixed

#98 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

I hope this one can turn out to be okay, but who knows.

They also have the Hawx games (flying!) which I didn't like at all because they felt like they had nothing to do with anything, really.

#99 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

This is truly, the sum of all fears.

#100 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Holy shit that is just really unexpected and I literally just started Blacklist yesterday, R.I.P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.