Author Tom Clancy Dies at Age 66

• 134 results
#101 Posted by Axel_IX (73 posts) -

Damn, me and my friend were playing SC: Conviction last night.

#102 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

This is so sad. I mean this guy was the main brain behind Splinter Cell. Without him we'd have no Sam Fisher.

#103 Posted by ThatThomClancy (10 posts) -

Thank you all for all the kind words. It means a lot to us :)

#104 Edited by Beomoose (679 posts) -

RIP

Ding Chavez 4 Life

#105 Posted by Farplan3 (10 posts) -
@mb said:

All Clancy fans should read Without Remorse - my favorite book of all time. Dark and satisfying tale of revenge.

I can second this, what a great introduction to John Clark/Kelly and the perfect lead-up to Rainbow Six

#106 Posted by Embryonic (144 posts) -

Never read any of his books, perhaps I'll get round to rectifying that now. I've enjoyed the majority of games published with his name attached.

RIP

#107 Posted by Bunny_Fire (294 posts) -

well this proves me wrong.

I was under the impression that Tom Clancy or TC (Thinking Computer) was a top secret project built by US based Laboratories running out of area 51 and was designed to predict future scenarios.

#108 Edited by Sesquipedaliant (64 posts) -

RIP, Clancy,

Hope you're having a beer and cheeseburger with Reagan right now.

#109 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I never did agree with the guy's political views, but I fucking loved his writing. Really sucks to see him gone. RIP.

RIP

I wonder if Ubi will drop the "Tom Clancy's" from their games like Codemasters did back when Colin died.

Doubt it. I'd imagine the Clancy games are netting them a lot of money.

#110 Posted by Fram (553 posts) -

I remember reading a bunch of his Net Force books a few years back. Good pulpy stuff. RIP to an influential dude.

#111 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -

Other than his games, I have no reference to Tom Clancy's work. With that said, my thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

#112 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1029 posts) -

@fram said:

I remember reading a bunch of his Net Force books a few years back. Good pulpy stuff. RIP to an influential dude.

He didn't write those. The last book he ever wrote was Teeth of the Tiger, everything after that was "created by" Tom Clancy but written by other people. Anyway, this is definitely sad news indeed.

#113 Posted by mlarrabee (2910 posts) -

Man, no way. He was a ["PROLIFIC" FORMERLY HERE] writer, and while I haven't read any of his books they've certainly become some excellent movies.

#114 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

Well this sucks. RIP

#115 Edited by hanktherapper (376 posts) -

I have a lot of Tom Clancy novels, but I've only read two of them. While I didn't hate them, they're just too long with extraneous information.

I like the concept of reading them all, but I don't have the will power or attention span to read 800 page books anymore.

#116 Edited by rabidracoon (5 posts) -

I still remember finishing Executive Orders in like a week. It was the first book of his I read cover to cover.

RIP Mr. Clancy

#117 Posted by me3639 (1747 posts) -

So many memories with Red Storm. Salute.

#118 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3234 posts) -

R.I.P. to a legend.

#119 Posted by Veektarius (4746 posts) -

Loved him back in the 90s. Much respect. Requiescat in pace.

#120 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

R.I.P, condolences to all his friends and family.

I'm behind Giant Bomb having a tribute stream to him, that would be pretty cool.

#121 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I guess I should get around to reading that Red October paperback that's been sitting on my desk for a year, then.

#122 Edited by Spiritof (2030 posts) -

@dezinus said:

Ugh, 2013 just sucks. Worst year, all years.

I was thinking the very same thing yesterday after having my cat put to sleep.

This news isn't doing me any favors either. I was a complete nut for Clancy's books back in the 90's and early 00s. I can remember reading Red October in 8th grade and having my brain blown out the back of my head when I saw how absolutely perfect it translated to film. I've always been a sucker for good political thrillers, and Tom Clancy is without peer.

One ping only, Mr. Clancy. One ping only.

#123 Posted by MeatSim (10818 posts) -

This is a shame, he made lot of entertaining stuff across just about every medium.

Rest easy.

#124 Edited by SpoogeMcduck (186 posts) -

Booo, think I need to go finish reading Rainbow Six now

#125 Edited by WMoyer83 (633 posts) -

You better watch your back

because I'm a Clancymaniac.

RIP Tom

#126 Posted by EchoEcho (817 posts) -

Kind words that are all well-deserved. Thoughts to you and the rest of your family, Thom.

#127 Edited by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

I truly enjoyed his good books, and I was generally entertained by his less stellar entries. RIP Tom, the sheer volume of material you produced is an impressive feat and legacy.

Also seriously the Rainbow Six novel is basically the worlds best written longest/stupidest/greatest action movie. The villains, their motive, and their plan are just too much fun. It's refreshingly abnormal even if it isn't all that grounded.

#129 Posted by avantegardener (1115 posts) -

My sincere condolences.

#130 Posted by MikeJFlick (441 posts) -

No offense to Tom or his fans but man his writing was terrible.

#131 Posted by Tesla (1917 posts) -

@thatthomclancy: Sorry for your loss man. Your father was an influence on me with his books and the video games/movies that came from them.

#132 Edited by DeadSquirrelpie (2 posts) -

Have not read one of his books for many years. But that an established author of his generation steps into videogames deserves some serious respect.

He will be missed.

RIP Mr. Clancy

#134 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10838 posts) -

Just bought Blacklist to help honor and remember him. Also because it's supposed to be pretty good, and never mind that he (I think) didn't actually have any input on this one.

#135 Edited by drakesfortune (290 posts) -

What a bummer, I love Tom Clancy. His books, movies, games, I loved it all. He will be missed.

#137 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

66 is pretty young. I read a few of his books. Some were better than others. I liked Red Storm Rising the best. Debt of Honor, written in 1994 had airliners used as weapons. I read that book in 2003. He has certainly contributed to my enjoyment of military fiction and FPS shooters. Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear was my favorite online game back in the early days of XBox Online. Those one-shot-one-kill games were great fun.

#138 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Eagerly looking forward to the next Ghost Recon where we'll be able to spot the ghostly visage of Clancy once per level just like the hidden wedges of cheese in Perfect Dark.

#139 Posted by Giantstalker (1605 posts) -

This sucks. Tom gave a lot to military fiction and video gaming in general

o7

#142 Edited by ruthj240 (5 posts) -

my roomate's sister-in-law makes $75 every hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $20467 just working on the laptop for a few hours. >>>>>>>> www.jobs60.com

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.