Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy

Person » credited in 44 games

Thomas Leo Clancy Junior A.K.A "Tom Clancy" was an American author that was best known for his military science-based novels, such as The Hunt for Red October, Debt Of Honor (The Rainbow Six Prequel), Red Rabbit and Rainbow Six itself. Since 1996, Clancy's name has been on several video game titles based off his military philosophies. In 2008, the use of Tom Clancy's name was purchased by Ubisoft for an undisclosed sum. He was mostly known for Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, EndWar and H.A.W.X.

Tom Clancy Dead @ 66

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I don't know the details, but Tom Clancy's publisher has announced that he died last night in a hospital in Baltimore.

I'm sure this won't affect the game franchises under his name much though.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Funkydupe

:(

I've read plenty of his books, he was very talented. His books inspired one of my favorite games in the original Rainbow Six.

Loading Video...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

That's a bummer. He was only a year older than my parents.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The American government shuts down, Tom Clancy dies. It's over. Move to Canada, folks.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I read quite a few of his books. Most of them were terrible though... the only ones that hold up are the early ones, to be frank, and I haven't read them in years.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Bummer. My best wishes go out to his family.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

That is unfortunate...Without Remorse is my favorite book of all time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think it's funny that a man who started with writing semi-realistic cold war espionage novels will be remembered for a franchise of video games where the Russians are still a credible threat and nukes go off every 5 minutes. I read most of his books and there's a turning point somewhere after Clear and Present Danger where his stuff starts not only getting way more ridiculous, but way more political as well since his main character becomes president and fixes everything that's wrong with the government while also fighting off a biological terror attack from not-Iran.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's funny that a man who started with writing semi-realistic cold war espionage novels will be remembered for a franchise of video games where the Russians are still a credible threat and nukes go off every 5 minutes. I read most of his books and there's a turning point somewhere after Clear and Present Danger where his stuff starts not only getting way more ridiculous, but way more political as well since his main character becomes president and fixes everything that's wrong with the government while also fighting off a biological terror attack from not-Iran.

don't forget bringing democracy to China!

The only books I'd ever reread of his are the ones up to and including Without Remorse.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. This is a bummer. RIP

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mixed feelings, but in terms of dieing the same I feel for most anybody. RIP.

I read a few of his books, but being a dirty hippy I did not see things necc. the same way. I went through a phase of playing the later Rainbow 6 because I liked the mechanics and even thought the character a decent guy. Found myself killing a lot of Mexicans though.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The American government shuts down, Tom Clancy dies. It's over. Move to Canada, folks.

you said it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Other than his games, I have no reference to Tom Clancy's work. With that said, my thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@vikingdeath1 said:

@nekroskop said:

you said it.

Where are the canadians suppose to live?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October are a couple of my favorite books. This sucks.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By nightriff

Saw that, his name doesn't bring particularly any goodwill to games anymore which is my only reference to his life.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That's too bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@i_stay_puft: In Europe with the rest of the dirty liberals! j/k

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@vikingdeath1 said:

@nekroskop said:

you said it.

Detroit?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Well, that sucks. R.I.P

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By joshwent

@animasta: @animasta: Isn't it pretty widely accepted that after that time a lot of his later books were ghost written. Or at least he'd come up with an outline and maybe write a bit, but I think the dip in quality falls in line with others writing under his name.

Still, I read two of his Jack Ryan books (although it was years ago and I honestly don't know which they were) and I thought they were pretty great. The dude knew tension.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read loads of Clancy in H.S. and through college. Clear and Present Danger, Red Storm Rising, Without Remorse were my faves. Clancy's later books didn't do it for me (never did finish Executive Orders) , but he definitely was the best in his genre. RIP---Also, is it bad that as soon as I saw that headline, it made me worried for the like-aged George RR Martin's longevity? Don't die,George!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all honesty did Tom Clancy write anything significant over the past 5 years or was it just other people writing under the Clancy banner? I was always under impression he retired and just layed on fat stacks of Ubisoft money who were using his name. RIP Clancy.

No Caption Provided

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Shame, nobody lives forever I suppose but 66 ain't that old.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@animasta: @animasta: Isn't it pretty widely accepted that after that time a lot of his later books were ghost written. Or at least he'd come up with an outline and maybe write a bit, but I think the dip in quality falls in line with others writing under his name.

Still, I read two of his Jack Ryan books (although it was years ago and I honestly don't know which they were) and I thought they were pretty great. The dude knew tension.

his later later books? yeah probably. I'm mostly talking about when Jack Ryan became president. The republican bias was always there, but in early books it was very downplayed, but once he became president the bias was in full force.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@i_stay_puft said:

@vikingdeath1 said:

@nekroskop said:

you said it.

We've got plenty of room up here! Though I can't guarantee there will be 300 million jobs waiting for you, so be prepared to live off the land for a while.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, let just call it what it is...Clancy became a huge ranting neo-con.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm willing to bet he actually died in an underground cage match with Harrison Ford. A guy with that many stories to tell needed to go out with a bang. RIP Clancy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.