Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's EndWar

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Tom Clancy's Endwar is a real time strategy game in which the three major superpowers of the world ignite and engage in World War III.

Voice Recognition

Sylosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sylosis

I was just wondering to anyone who has played this; what's the voice recognition like? Does it easily detect what you're saying? And also, if you pause mid sentence (for thinking etc), will it wait for you to finish or will it disregard what you've said already?

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By tomance

I'm pretty sure that you have to push a button to get it to listen.  From all the demos I've seen of people playing the game the recognition seemed spot on.  I'm pretty sure a demo is suppose to come out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I have heard it works quite well.

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nezze00

Voice recognition has been done horribly in the past. I hope the implement it wisely in this game. Also, I do not enjoy chatting with my units, but to each his own i suppose. Some say this might enable consoles to properly develop rts for consoles, let's hope so.

Sylosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Sylosis
    nezze00 said:
    "Voice recognition has been done horribly in the past. I hope the implement it wisely in this game. Also, I do not enjoy chatting with my units, but to each his own i suppose. Some say this might enable consoles to properly develop rts for consoles, let's hope so.
    "
    Yeah I can't say I blame you; I often feel stupid, and if it's late at night you may be keeping people awake by shouting "Unit 5 take up flanking positions" in the middle of a frenzy
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By giyanks22

The Stage demos definitely showed the voice recognition to be working perfectly. As to whether it disregards pauses, I don't know, but what I can say is that you do have press a button for it to recognize your voice. When you aren't pressing the button it is talking to your team mates.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

The voice recognition works really well actually, what you do is hold the right trigger to command your units (the left trigger starts voice chat to team mates).  Then you have a number of first options, Unit, Group, Reinforce e.c.t.  the next level is to say the unit number i.e. 3, and then follow up with the command like attack hostile 4 or whatever.  From what I can tell the voice command works incredibly well, the only bug it seems to have is rare confusions between the attack and secure command.  It works very quickly, you can press the right trigger, give a command then immediately press the trigger again and give another command, the game will work out what you said and relay the commands almost instantly.  Once you get used to actually talking to yourself and the uncertainty of what the hell to talk to yourself about it does feel really natural.

Again the voice commands actually work really well, it recognises your commands even in really noisy environments.  It picked up my fairly strange accent perfectly except with 1 or 2 confusions between the secure and attack commands.  You really don't even need to be very careful with what your saying or even very quick, in moments of madness saying something too quickly or even pronouncing something slightly wrong will still like 9 outta 10 times work fine.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By chandlerr_360

EndWar is going to truly be the first game to make GOOD voice recognition...remember the voice commands in the original Ghost Recon? Ughhhh....gives me nightmares.

IceCold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By IceCold

There was no voice recognition in the original Ghost Recon. Unless of course you are so sadly mistaken as to say that G.R.A.W. was the original Ghost Recon.

(Unless of course the GR on XBOX had Voice Recognition, then I retract my statement).

I think Ubisoft will almost certainly screw this game to pieces. They've been milking the Tom Clancy franchises and now that they own the license to his name they are going to squeeze it's tits until they turn purple.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chandlerr_360
    IceCold said:
    "There was no voice recognition in the original Ghost Recon. Unless of course you are so sadly mistaken as to say that G.R.A.W. was the original Ghost Recon.

(Unless of course the GR on XBOX had Voice Recognition, then I retract my statement).

I think Ubisoft will almost certainly screw this game to pieces. They've been milking the Tom Clancy franchises and now that they own the license to his name they are going to squeeze it's tits until they turn purple.

"
    Yes, I was referring to the Xbox version. And why the hate on Ubi? They are a great developer in my opinion, they have not messed up any of the TC games that they have released so far....
    IceCold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IceCold

You must be joking? Clearly you are a console gamer through and through and didn't start playing the OGR and ORS6 games on the PC. Arcade style shooters like GRAW and Rainbow Six Vegas are what killed the series. That's why they've moved on to even more arcade style games like HAWX and EndWar. They got rid of the tactics and loaded up on shiny explosions and superheroes like "Logan Keller' and "Scott Michell".

Then again, console gamers only want explosions and shiny weapons. Not realism.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Systech

I played the beta and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I whined into the mic a lot and it got what I was saying.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chandlerr_360
    IceCold said:
    "You must be joking? Clearly you are a console gamer through and through and didn't start playing the OGR and ORS6 games on the PC. Arcade style shooters like GRAW and Rainbow Six Vegas are what killed the series. That's why they've moved on to even more arcade style games like HAWX and EndWar. They got rid of the tactics and loaded up on shiny explosions and superheroes like "Logan Keller' and "Scott Michell".

Then again, console gamers only want explosions and shiny weapons. Not realism."
    G.R.A.W and G.R.A.W 2 are "arcadey"? Maybe the graphics style is a little bit stylized, but the action is pretty damn realistic compared to most other games on the console (and PC for that matter). And besides, the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six where the same on consoles as they were for PC's, so that is a moot point.

If you are not satisfied by the "realism" in past and future TC games, then just buy Operation Flashpoint.
    IceCold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IceCold

The Tom Clancy games were realistic up until Ubisoft got rid of Red Storm Entertainment. The guys and girls who worked on Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon were the reason the games were such a commercial success. The only reason the games are successful now is because a bunch of 15 year olds who like "guns-n-stuff" think they're shiny. But even most of them have moved away from the games already.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with how the games have come out, but I am not happy with the lack of support for the community that RedStorm was known for. Every game before Vegas was completely moddable (PC) and was patched multiple times. Vegas 1 and 2 were not moddable and people are stuck with the same stock maps. Even though Ubi released their "Fan Pack" a while back from Vegas 2 they have since cut support for the game. The horrific PC port is a shining example of their thoughts towards they games they have produced. A quick cash grab until they can release the next game. The amount of bugs (numbering almost 100 unfixed currently) is what's killing my love for the TC franchises. (Splinter Cell Double Agent couldn't be finished on PC until a patch came out 2 months after release).

GRAW and GRAW 2 were arcadey. There were some aspects that were tactical but the pathetic "CrossCom and CrossCom 2.0" as well as the ability to fire a Barret .50 from a standing position as well as walk was atrocious. My favourite times during my GRAW2 online days were the sliding .50 cal shots people could pull off. Running full speed toward you, sliding on one knee around a corner and nailing you with a well placed shot. The lack of Random Respawns also turned it into a simple "get to their spawn and rape them fest". That's why you can't find any servers that are populated anymore (PC).

Don't worry, I've been a member of TacticalGamers for many years and have Operation Flashpoint as well as all Red Hammer expansion. Also thoroughly enjoy ArmedAssault and it's expansion "Queen's Gambit".

I will however continue to support UbiSoft's cash-grab because I enjoy some aspects of their games. And even if they shy further away from tactical realism I'll be okay. It's the lack of support that frustrates me.

drewm135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By drewm135

I played it at PAX and its awesome. It works perfectly

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Bennyishere

I'm excited to try out the voice recognition. The game itself looks pretty nice too.

IceCold
    said:

"Then again, console gamers only want explosions and shiny weapons. Not realism."
    Haha, wow. How close-minded of you. Get off your high horse, mister.
    whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By whyzenheimer

BLUE!!!!!   BAHLUE!!!!!!!!   BLUE?!?  BLUE!!!!!!!!!

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By xruntime

Vegas and GRAW are good games, but they're a big change from the tactical realism that Red Storm Entertainment perfected. As a PC gamer, I'm really nostalgic for Rainbow Six 1, Rogue Spear, and the first Ghost Recon, games that simulated actual gameplay, and didn't try to make it arcadey to make it more fun. When you got shot, you're dead, simple. No cover system, no health regeneration, etc.

I think this kind of arcadey gameplay should stay out of series that were founded on the basis of intense realism, and stay with series such as Call of Duty that have always included this gameplay style. It's not that it's worse, per se, it's just that it has no place in the series. Ubisoft has obviously turned it into a arcadey shooter because that's what is in demand on most consoles, and it'll make more money than a insta-kill shooter.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kush

The voiced recognition seemed alright in my eyes, but even when I said something and the game understood it...the woman's voice would tell me to please try again even though they are doing exactly what I just told them to do.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

The series did take a serious dive in realism when they dropped Red Storm.  Yes you still get killed in one shot, but that doesn't make a game realistic.  The GRAW games are bad for a number of different reasons, they've both got crappy AI, quite a bad cover system and they are  far to easy compared to the original game.  At least Rainbow Six Vegas kept the difficulty.

Mistyshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mistyshadow

I thought the voice recognition worked surprisingly well. I like how you could just say a sentence at a regular pace or be slow too see all the options if you haven't memorized them yet.

Zeph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zeph

The voice recognition works perfectly. If it messed up, it was because of my error and not the game's.

I understand the tactical gamer's frustration with the recent Ubi Tom Clancy games, but keep in mind that they primarily develop for the consoles on these titles and a good deal of that realism has to be dropped when dealing with the limitations of the console format. Endwar will be fun because it does a great job of adding depth without a ton of resource management, which is what you need on a console RTS. I'm more excited for the MMO aspects of the gameplay as well as the RPG development of the units.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Systech

It works stupendously. Just get ready to be bored after a few games.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Manks

It works very well.  The only times it didn't recognize my voice is when I, not the game, made a mistake.  

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daniel_beck_90

what about different accents ? American , British , Canadian  , they are all kinda different

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By RedSox8933

i've found it to work really well with the demo, which is pretty good by the way.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    RedSox8933 said:
    "i've found it to work really well with the demo, which is pretty good by the way."
    Are you American or British ? does the accent have any impact  ?
    bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bigpig33

daniel_beck_90 said:

"what about different accents ? American , British , Canadian  , they are all kinda different"

canadians do not have accents we are perfect, but the voice recognition is pretty niffty

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    bigpig33 said:
    "

daniel_beck_90 said:

"what about different accents ? American , British , Canadian  , they are all kinda different"

canadians do not have accents we are perfect, but the voice recognition is pretty niffty

"
    Okay ........ that is a good news
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By TomA

Yes it does work  quite well,i played it at PAX,very fun game.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I have a strong welsh accent and i have almost no problems with the voice recognition, and the only problems i have had seem to be me speaking too fast or too quiet.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Johnny5

Yeah it works pretty damn well. Even in that video with the parrots giving the commands!

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stucket

well,I already tried the demo,and at the start of the game,you click campaign and you have to do some Voice Calibration,so i think it calbirate from there? It runs smoothly for me except for the occasion Saying Foxtrot and You Get Delta, Weird,lol

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Alexander
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "bigpig33 said:
    "

daniel_beck_90 said:

"
    Okay ........ that is a good news"
    Everyone has an accent. You might have a non-de script American accent, but it's still an accent. I can tell if someone is from South Africa when they start talking. I can tell if someone is American or Canadian by their accent. I can tell if someone is Irish by their accent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.