Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 07, 2006

The Ghost Recon team must enter Mexico City and prevent a coup d'état led by rebel Mexican forces.

How do they hold up?

Avatar image for sepulturafanboy89
    Sepulturafanboy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am always hunting games that I missed and found the graw games on Amazon, the Xbox 360 version but I how good do they hold up. I played the last one, future soldier I think is the name. Anyways anyone play them recently if so how well do they play these days. I am thinking of picking up the 360 version

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

These game's weren't very good when they came out.

If I recall correctly the console versions were third person while the PC was first. I mainly played the PC version. The PC version had a pretty good squad command system, but the AI was pretty shitty. I remember many plans that I set up being foiled by the AI fucking up.

I honestly think you can find better games to put your time into then this.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I had a lot of fun playing them back when they were new, but I don't think they hold up 100%. I'm sure there would still be fun to be had, though.

Sepulturafanboy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer, I might just pick up the latest one they release and replay it it's been long enough that I've forgotten much of it, Thanks guys

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@sepulturafanboy89:

They are some of my favorite games of last-gen. Also, I think they're way better than the PC versions, though they're less tactical, and perhaps less difficult, and (I would say arguably) less pretty than on a high end PC. The way they're set up is also less appealing, at least to me. They're almost entirely different games due to one being a cover based shooter, and another being an FPS, with stages entirely changed around. The only thing that makes them the same is that they have the same story, characters, dialogue, and music (though the PC versions have an added character). I don't know how well they hold up, but I bet if I went back and played them, I'd still love them, and not even due to nostalgia. Not sure what SSully is talking about when it comes to not good from the start, though like he said, he played the PC version mainly, which I would agree aren't games you need to experience. They do have stories, but they're not that great, so you're not really playing for that, even though they're not the absolute worst either (I was happy they even had them, since the majority of Tom Clancy games before it didn't even have as good a story as G.R.A.W.), and they do have some interesting moments.

What I loved was the way you move in the game; Scott Mitchell moves with the pace of someone that is on a mission and is urgent to get it done. I also love the cover system, where the cover is pressure sensitive; what I mean by that is depending on how much you press the stick forward, he'll stick his head out to whatever extent, so it can be used to your advantage at times, and no cover based shooter has done that before or since. The soundtracks are fantastic to me, being both intense, beautifully dramatic, or calming (before the storm if you will), and I love the atmosphere of both games, where it feels like people have been in the place that you are, but abandoned due to war, so for me, it was kind of sad. Future Soldier I played significantly late, but I enjoyed that too, but not nearly as much as the Advanced Warfighter games. They're old, but I'd still recommend them. I wish they had made a G.R.A.W. 3, though the end of two doesn't really give any reason for a third to exist. Play them, play them, play them! :)

When they were released, both games looked superb; they probably don't hold up on that end, but I'm sure they're adequate enough it won't ruin an experience. I have fond memories of both of them, and played them both through the years since release, but not recently (maybe a few years ago). You make me want to play them again. I was thinking about it a few days ago actually.

Sepulturafanboy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: thanks man you made a great argument that I'd feel bad if I didn't just try them out and always buy shit that I don't play much anyways so if I buy them and not like them I wouldn't feel too bad. I'll pick up the trilogy and if I don't like the older ones I'll just play the newest one it's cheap enough that I can justify the purchase just for that gam.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@sepulturafanboy89: I hope you enjoy, and it's nice of you to consider my opinion as such, but no worries. Everyone has their own opinions; if you don't enjoy them if you play them, that won't bother me (nor would I know unless you updated me on your play), but for your sake since you are purchasing them (which I assume is pretty cheap now), that you do enjoy them. If you do play them, you can tell me what you think, good and/or bad.

jerrywhitman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my honest opinion I always had fun playing them... But to each his own!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I loved them a whole lot. 2 was one of the first 360 games that I played for dozens of hours online (so much, that I never actually finished the improved campaign).

With that being said, they'll probably be pretty clunky nowadays. They're supposed to be slow and tactical, but they were never tight on the gameplay end. There's a reason Modern Warfare was such a revelation when it hit when it comes to near-future stuff.

DoubleSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@csl316: Did you ever run across the BIATCH clan? We played everyday for about a 6 months. It was a fantastic time. Can't say enough good things about the first game.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

They were pretty fun games, wonder how they hold up today as well.

I did enjoy the Rainbow Six Vegas games more, though.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I play GRAW 2 about a year ago and I think it absolutely holds up, great tactical experience. Better Than Rainbow 6 Vegas imo. And it's a great looking game for the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.