Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Future Soldier is the first in Ubisoft's long-running Ghost Recon series of tactical shooters to take place in the near-future.

Anyone here playing Future Soldier yet?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So I really enjoyed the last two GRAW games so naturally I have an interest in this one. Read a bunch of reviews but I wanted to know how the players are feeling about this one. Personally my expectations are kinda low given how this game has shown lack of vision given the various delays this game has gone though. I want to know if this game suffers from what I call "The AC Effect" where Ubisoft put 90% of it's effort into that franchise and neglecting the other ones.

I want to know if this game ended up like SC: Convictions, where the game has been streamlined to death thereby loosing the appeal I had for it the first place.

Thanks.

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

I had the game preordered from gamestop. To me the beta was not fun at all. I still had every intention of purchasing the game for single player but I wanted to wait on some reviews 1st. The gametrailers review done me in. The single player has bad voice acting, a forgettable story, "ps2" graphics in some cut scenes, and low quality graphics on some levels. The multiplayer promotes camping where all the modes are objective based and if you don't have a few solid players on your team you will get ran over. I just called and canceled by preorder. I wanted this game to be good but the reviews, regardless of score, turned me away. I now see why the embargo was lifted the day of release.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai

@S0mewh4tD4m4ged said:

I had the game preordered from gamestop. To me the beta was not fun at all. I still had every intention of purchasing the game for single player but I wanted to wait on some reviews 1st. The gametrailers review done me in. The single player has bad voice acting, a forgettable story, "ps2" graphics in some cut scenes, and low quality graphics on some levels. The multiplayer promotes camping where all the modes are objective based and if you don't have a few solid players on your team you will get ran over. I just called and canceled by preorder. I wanted this game to be good but the reviews, regardless of score, turned me away. I now see why the embargo was lifted the day of release.

Yikes. I haven't seen the GT review as I prefer to read them but I'll watch it. Ugh! A 7 minutes video review is too much.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mars

The Gametrailers review doesn't support the score. He seemed to focus almost exclusively on the negative. I didn't find it helpful at all.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'll head out to the store in a few and get it...hoping I remember to post here again. From what I've read it's not going to blow you away but it is a solid experience. You might read this and be dissapointed but honestly look at the original Ghost Recon; it was just a tactical shooter with a forgetable storyline but somehow it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Also this game has been in development for 90 years or so....it's about time I see what the hell they've been doing for so long. This is like my personal duke nukem forever.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

@Vinny_Says said:

Also this game has been in development for 90 years or so....it's about time I see what the hell they've been doing for so long. This is like my personal duke nukem forever.

that seems to be the theme with Ubisoft ever since AC became a huge git. There's just a huge hole with the other franchises given their lack vision for the game. Same thin happened with SC: Convictions. The game wasn't bad but as a SC game it was major disappointment to me.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By gla55jAw

I picked it up this morning, meant to only play a few matches and played for about 2 hours. It's addicting to level up and unlock more pieces to upgrade your gun. I really like the gameplay. It's fun.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
    Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I picked it up last night my opinion so far is that its better than the 2 GRAW games. It has more focus on stealth this time for the single player which I like. Some really neat levels so far. Haven't done much in multiplayer but I like all the unlocks it has so far.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#9  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm really enjoying the game so far.

I just finished up the first single player mission, which wasn't too bad. However, the multiplayer has been a blast. I really get a strong Socom vibe from it. The different modes are enjoyable and the maps seem to be fairly interesting.

If you're looking for a more tactical online experience, at least give this a rent. I'm glad I purchased it.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By uberexplodey

Reviews have been pretty harsh, but I like what I have been playing in the campaign.

SilentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SilentZero

I've been playing coop with two other friends, about 4 or so missions in. Its a pretty great coop game, maybe not as open as past Ghost Recon games but working with friends to take out enemies give it a Splinter Cell coop vibe that I really like. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Rohok

I'll tell you one thing, it's not Tom Clancey and it's not Ghost Recon. It's like Conviction was to the Splinter Cell universe. It's just more cinematic bullshit to please the masses like Call of Duty.

That aside I'm enjoying it and having a good time with my buddy in coop. Am I angry that realistic tactical shooters that don't cater to the kids with ADHD are all gone and dead? Hell yes. But I'm getting my money's worth out of this one, no problem. So far it's very linear though and there's really no "tactics" at all. Most of it's just pretty straight forward. No planning, no tactics, no strategy. Just shooting.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I've not seen any game play footage so after I do that I will decide if its worth a play.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By hoossy

@Vinny_Says said:

look at the original Ghost Recon; it was just a tactical shooter with a forgetable storyline but somehow it's one of my favorite games of all time.

The problem for me is that this game hardly seems 'tactical' anymore, at least in the single player experience. With little/no control over your teammates and a hud that constantly is telling me where to go and what to do... idk....

Unfortunately, I don't really have any friends that I game with, since the running through the game co-op style seems the most enjoyable way of doing it.

SilentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SilentZero

@hoossy: Yea seems like this game is much different with coop, spent every stealth encounter with friends doing surveillance and debating who to take out, when, and how. I can see how this game would seem kind of meh though with the uncontrollable psycho aggressive AI they put in.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By murisan

The first mission: "SHIT, GO RIGHT." I attempt to maneuver to the right only to realize OH MAN THE ENTIRETY OF THE REST OF THE LEVEL IS SCRIPTED.

A THIRD OF THE FIRST MISSION IS SCRIPTED. YOU CAN ONLY AIM.

Fuuuuck that.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Rohok

It's an on-rails cinematic shooter. It's not Tom Clancey anymore.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Rohok said:

It's an on-rails cinematic shooter. It's not Tom Clancey anymore.

How does one continuously spell Tom Clancy's last name wrong when it's so clearly spelled in the forum title?

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By l4wd0g

I'm digging the game so far, well single player. The biggest disappointment for me is guerrilla mode's lack of match making.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Deranged

I had fun with the beta but only with friends. It's incredibly frustrating with randoms because teamwork was so key to winning. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of anything Tom Clancy but it felt too... sped up. It lacks the slow, tactical gameplay that GRAW boasted. I had a pre-order for the game, but I'll probably wait until it drop to $30.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.