Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Now Arriving In More Distant Future

• 51 results
Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

The looooooong and winding saga of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier may finally be coming to an end. However, true to the seemingly endless nature of this futuristic shooter's development cycle, it won't be coming to an actual end until the far flung future of....May 22 in North America (and May 24 in Europe.)

The future of warfare, Conan?

That's a solid couple of months after publisher Ubisoft initially pegged the title for release. It was originally slated to bring the future of warfare to console players everywhere this March. Now, it seems the future has been pushed back to May. Technically, I guess March still is the future, but the real future-future, the one that has Future Soldiers in it and whatnot, that will be in May.

As for the promised multiplayer beta, which was scheduled to come out in the very near-future of this month? That also has been delayed to a later future. Specifically, the future that will happen sometime around this April.

While that might be disappointing to anyone who was really hoping for May's future to happen in March, and April's future in January, one piece of today's news that might cheer you up a bit is that the PC version of Future Soldier, once thought to be lost to the ravages of time and free-to-play gaming (in the form of Ghost Recon Online) apparently actually exists, and will be coming out following the console versions' release. How far following? We do not know. All we do know is that it will exist someday...in the future.

I know that all sounds very far in the future and in thinking about the future, you are probably getting more and more aggravated because the future is not right now. While I can personally do little to salve your futuristic wounds, I can provide you a bit of advice from a man who knows more about the future than anyone.

I feel better already.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

The looooooong and winding saga of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier may finally be coming to an end. However, true to the seemingly endless nature of this futuristic shooter's development cycle, it won't be coming to an actual end until the far flung future of....May 22 in North America (and May 24 in Europe.)

The future of warfare, Conan?

That's a solid couple of months after publisher Ubisoft initially pegged the title for release. It was originally slated to bring the future of warfare to console players everywhere this March. Now, it seems the future has been pushed back to May. Technically, I guess March still is the future, but the real future-future, the one that has Future Soldiers in it and whatnot, that will be in May.

As for the promised multiplayer beta, which was scheduled to come out in the very near-future of this month? That also has been delayed to a later future. Specifically, the future that will happen sometime around this April.

While that might be disappointing to anyone who was really hoping for May's future to happen in March, and April's future in January, one piece of today's news that might cheer you up a bit is that the PC version of Future Soldier, once thought to be lost to the ravages of time and free-to-play gaming (in the form of Ghost Recon Online) apparently actually exists, and will be coming out following the console versions' release. How far following? We do not know. All we do know is that it will exist someday...in the future.

I know that all sounds very far in the future and in thinking about the future, you are probably getting more and more aggravated because the future is not right now. While I can personally do little to salve your futuristic wounds, I can provide you a bit of advice from a man who knows more about the future than anyone.

I feel better already.

Staff
#2 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Great great great.

#3 Posted by Glees0rz (32 posts) -

I'm still wondering where the beta is...

#4 Posted by Baconbot (113 posts) -

When does a game become vapor-ware?

#5 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

oh.......good

#6 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

4 months, 1 week, and 4 days left than.

#7 Posted by Guyzea (815 posts) -

Give me Rainbow Six.

#8 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

Eh, I'll skip this one.

@Guyzea said:

Give me Rainbow Six.

This

#9 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I'm still under the belief that this game is vaporware. I've been waiting for over 2 years for the beta they promised me when I bought Conviction...

#10 Posted by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -

All these delays aren't exactly building my confidence for the title.

#11 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

Lol, one of the best moments of that movie. "Future events, like these, will affect you...in the future."

#12 Posted by VincentVendetta (232 posts) -

Ghost Recon Forever?

#13 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3156 posts) -

GRR-FUSS

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

This game is going to be awful.

#15 Posted by DrJota (700 posts) -

And much like Plan 9,you'll get to play as a stiff acting Bela Lugosi lookalike in Future Soldier....in the future.

#16 Posted by Ninja (518 posts) -

Over/under on this game coming out?

#17 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

When do I get to play the beta that I was promised entry to back in April 2010?

#18 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

When do I get to play the beta that I was promised entry to back in April 2010?

Sometime around April. Its right in the post.

#19 Posted by VibratingDonkey (863 posts) -

When Ubisoft says "simultaneous release" the PC version is usually released a couple of months later. So I guess maybe sometime next year they'll allow criminals to purchase it.

@Glees0rz said:

I'm still wondering where the beta is...

Hah, oh right, preorderers got an invitation with Splinter Cell Conviction. Was supposed to happen last summer I think but never did and Ubisoft didn't bother giving their customers a replacement.

#20 Posted by AssInAss (2543 posts) -

I will play this game...in the future.

#21 Posted by Cybexx (1151 posts) -

There is something pretty fishy about an April beta leading into a May release. Either they are confident in their May date and they are just doing a "beta" to appease people with the beta vouchers that came with copies of Splinter Cell Conviction or that May release date is going to slip again because they will literally have to have gone gold by the time their "beta" starts.

#22 Posted by BoringK (258 posts) -

"The future of warfare, Conan?"

Heh-heh. Oh, I miss that.

#23 Posted by ABK_92 (176 posts) -

Goddamn I love the way you write, Alex.

#24 Posted by LordLOC (180 posts) -

@VibratingDonkey:

Eh, we PC gamers aren't getting Future Soldier anymore right? It got canned for PC in favor of just Ghost Recon Online which of course is PC exclusive itself.

#25 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

its not gonna be good.

#26 Posted by Abendlaender (2762 posts) -

Future Soldier delayed? I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

#27 Posted by nERVEcenter (164 posts) -

Ubisoft has such inconsistent PR, and their various contributing studios seem to have such shoddy management of this game...I don't see much coming of this other than more DRM and harsh words from Ubisoft after it tanks on consoles and finally gets a PC release.

#28 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

@LordLOC said:

Eh, we PC gamers aren't getting Future Soldier anymore right? It got canned for PC in favor of just Ghost Recon Online which of course is PC exclusive itself.

I thought it was coming to the WiiU as well.

#29 Posted by LordLOC (180 posts) -

Oh wait nevermind actually. Ubisoft confirmed Future Soldier was coming to PC after all in the press release today. LOL @ Ubisoft. Make up yer minds damn it!

#30 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Isn't this the Ghost Recon title that was highly anticipated at last year's E3, only to be demo'd awfully and filled many people with disappointment about it?

#31 Posted by Sanctifizzle (3 posts) -

God help us...in the future...

#32 Posted by Sanctifizzle (3 posts) -

@VibratingDonkey said:

When Ubisoft says "simultaneous release" the PC version is usually released a couple of months later. So I guess maybe sometime next year they'll allow criminals to purchase it.

Criminals?

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Is this a game that people care about? I can't tell.

#34 Edited by oneWAYup7 (10 posts) -

It's ok, i still have a lot of games from the November onslaught...

#35 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

I predict, in the future, that this game will be a massive flop. In the future.

It won't be hardcore enough for the core GR audience and it won't be casual enough for the retards. It won't please anyone. And in the future there probably won't be to many more GR games just because UbiSoft simply does not get the fucking point anymore. And that's not just mitigated to the future, but also the past and present.

But still, the future.

#36 Posted by DoctorSage (157 posts) -

This isn't too bad. This future is not too distant if you ask me.

#37 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

GRR-FUSS

Ro?

#38 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

And in 15 years, it will have invisible boobs on walls.

#39 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -

One less game to buy in March.

#40 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Games that are delayed this much are usually pretty disappointing, but I guess we'll see.

#41 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

@Sanctifizzle said:

@VibratingDonkey said:

Criminals?

Nanomachines?

#42 Posted by tactis (353 posts) -

this is not a good sign

#43 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

i hope its good i always liked ubisoft lately seems like things are turning around though. hope the game is good

#44 Posted by Klaimore (945 posts) -

Haha the copy of splinter cell conviction has a beta invite on it sigh...

#45 Edited by predator (349 posts) -

I question whether anyone wants to play third person Ghost Recon on PC. I certainly don't.

#46 Posted by taggerty (8 posts) -

I played so much GRAW2 but I dont really know why.

Hopefully this game will do the same

#47 Posted by Andromedius (22 posts) -

"The Future is not what it used to be".

#48 Posted by Sanctifizzle (3 posts) -

@InfamousBIG: Metal Gearrrrr?

#49 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -

@Klaimore:Yeah I bought a new copy of Conviction two weeks ago and it still has the beta invite inside.This game has been delayed so much I can only hope that that's made it a more quality product.

#50 Posted by MeatSim (10764 posts) -

I liked GRAW but with all these delays I don't think this game is going to turn out very good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.