Ghost Recon is no longer Ghost Recon (multiplayer footage)

#1 Edited by Falconer (1704 posts) -

Linky

Hey guys! It's another fast, cover based, 3rd person shooter! Isn't that great?!!?! Kill me now please.

I liked the GRAW single player stuff, so I was willing to accept the Future Soldier stuff that has been shown up to this point. Co-op is cool, right? However, I'm out now. Ghost Recon multiplayer was great because it was unique. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't even a first person option now.

This is a mistake. Ubisoft should have learned with Splinter Cell that by making it more fast paced and "more accessible" doesn't equal better. Good job at alienating any fan base you still had.

Here's hoping they don't totally fuck up Rainbow Six when they decide to release another one of those.

#2 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@ShaggyChu said:

Here's hoping they don't totally fuck up Rainbow Six when they decide to release another one of those.

I bet they will

#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2769 posts) -

Didn't really look more fast-paced and accessible than normal Ghost Recon.

#4 Posted by Falconer (1704 posts) -

@shinigami420: *sigh* I know...

@Chabbs0: Tight urban streets? Snap to cover? Third person? Ghost recon is about shooting people two blocks away, laying down smoke in an actual tactical manner, and inching around corners so you don't get sniped. Running around streets holding down the trigger =/= Ghost Recon.

#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6384 posts) -

Hell if I am sitting through an ad to watch it.

#6 Posted by Agent47 (1901 posts) -
@ShaggyChu: Oh no they changed aspects of the game?Holy shit they will never get any of my money those stupid fuckers ruined everything!I really don't like these threads everytime a little aspect is changed people flip out.I understand it though but I just don't see why not try it instead of just basing it from videos?Besides I think we can reserve our judgement until....hmmm maybe when the game comes out?And it was only a 54 second video.
#7 Posted by Portis (1290 posts) -

I don't know, it looked alright.

Keeping in mind I've never played a Ghost Recon game, and probably won't play this.

#8 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

Eh. I don't really care. Ghost Recon stopped being "Ghost Recon" for me with Ghost Recon 2, and even more so with GRAW. 

Is anyone really surprised they made it even more casual?

#9 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5854 posts) -

Ghost Recon original is the only true Ghost Recon.

#10 Posted by JuggertrainUK (210 posts) -

We do need more tactical shooters, even if it is just to please the few people who enjoy more of challenge. But the shooter is the biggest genre right now and is in desperate need of variety.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Call of Duty and Uncharted exist 

what the fuck did you expect? the unique multiplayer of certain shooters to remain intact? it's all gone man, kiss it goodbye.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4731 posts) -

Riding on the coattails of what's popular is all the rage these days.

#13 Posted by Falconer (1704 posts) -

@Agent47: They didn't just change some little things. I don't need more than 54 seconds to see that this is totally different from any Ghost Recon game ever previously released.

I never explicitly said that this will be a bad game. I'm just trying to stress the fact that this is the wrong direction for this franchise. I don't know what the numbers were for the two GRAW games, but they were received well by most. Build upon those games, don't make another cookie cutter 3rd person action game.

#14 Edited by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

One of the comments pissed me off because it said "Ghost recon has always been a third person shooter."

fucking 12 year olds man.

#15 Posted by Voshterkoff (125 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:

This, the first was a great game, then it started getting casualized. Same thing happened to Rainbow Six after the 3rd game. At least there are games like ARMA out there that don't try to be CoD.
#16 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I remember getting mauled in the original Ghost Recon, I didn't like it all that much (10 years ago, cut me some slack) but I grew to respect the harsh lessons. Just now realized that it was the only one of its kind in the series, that if something is just plain sad.

#17 Posted by Xdsk (268 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
This. After GR Ubisoft started dumbing it down, not so much in 2, but noticeably in GRAW.
#18 Posted by faunt (29 posts) -
@kishan6 said:
One of the comments pissed me off because it said "Ghost recon has always been a third person shooter." fucking 12 year olds man.
+1. Though GRAW was cool and all, I loved the first one.
#19 Posted by Zereta (1370 posts) -

Meh. I don't care what the game plays like. As long as its fun, I'm in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.