PC version cancelled due to pirates.

• 56 results
#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -

So Ubisoft is killing the PC version citing piracy as the main reason. Here is an article discussing the matter. Personally I just don't get why Ubisoft is still making PC games. Every time they seem to release a game the PC version is either saddled with bad controls or crappy DRM. I was thinking of getting From Dust when that came out on PC but hearing how they locked the frame rate and the mouse controls were poor I just ended up getting it for PSN on sale.

#2 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

What a lame ass excuse, but that port would probably be shitty anyways.

#3 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Cool, only buying used copies of Ubisoft games from now on, if I buy any at all.

#4 Posted by DukesT3 (1893 posts) -

They need to stop being bitches or just stop making pc games all together.

#5 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Ubisoft has been in the business of fucking over legitimate customers for a long time now, and this is the logical final step in that process.

#6 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4297 posts) -

Don't worry guys. They're reissuing the resources to the Beyond Good & Evil 2 team...

#7 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

i dont pirate games.......

#8 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Ubisoft needs to stop making PC games for good. We don't care.

#9 Posted by Rowr (5483 posts) -

The French surrendering?

ludicrous!

@LooseChange said:

They need to stop being bitches or just stop making pc games all together.

I agree, total bitches.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

fucking somalia, always fucking things up for everyone

#11 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4602 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

bwahahaha. Yeah you do. Ubisoft makes a lot of good games every year. They also make a lot of shitty disposable kids/family games, but that doesn't detract from the quality of their Clancy line or Assassin's Creed, or Rayman, or any of the other franchises they've got.

It's shitty that they refuse to support the PC end of their business, but acting like PC gaming the world over just isn't interested in their products is stupid and childish.

#12 Edited by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

I think Ubisoft needs to realize that the reason why some of their PC ports don't sell so well is because they are poorly executed console ports with draconian DRM, DRM that actually encourages people who have bought the game to download a crack so they don't have to deal with the ridiculous DRM.

#13 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1945 posts) -

Finally a failproof DRM system

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@KingWilly said:

@phrosnite said:

bwahahaha. Yeah you do. Ubisoft makes a lot of good games every year. They also make a lot of shitty disposable kids/family games, but that doesn't detract from the quality of their Clancy line or Assassin's Creed, or Rayman, or any of the other franchises they've got.

It's shitty that they refuse to support the PC end of their business, but acting like PC gaming the world over just isn't interested in their products is stupid and childish.

Frankly, if the best Ubisoft has to offer is Tom Clancy games, Assassins creed and Rayman, we really don't care. At least i don't. Anyway, Skyrim dude. I won't look at another game for a few months at least.
#15 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@KingWilly said:

@phrosnite said:

Ubisoft are just being whiny children. Studios like Relic make PC games and sell decent but they keep making games and support them. 
Ubisoft got what they deserved. They are idiots who don't care about the legit customers on the PC. They just bitch about pirates and this and that. 
#16 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

OH GOD NO THATGAME LOOKED SO GOOOOOOOOOD

#17 Posted by Village_Guy (2501 posts) -

Same thing happened to I Am Alive...

@BabyChooChoo said:

Don't worry guys. They're reissuing the resources to the Beyond Good & Evil 2 team...

Which probably won't come to PC either.

Piracy is a problem and costs developers/publishers a lot of potential money, but just saying "No-PC biatches!!" is not the right way to handle the problem.

#18 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -
#19 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

This is by far my favorite part of the article:

"We're adapting the offer to the PC market. I don't like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60's worth of super-Hollywood content," he continued. "When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95 percent of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind."

So did they pull this percentage out of their ass, or are they just basing that off of past products when consumers were getting fed up with their shitty DRM? Whatever the case, that statement offends me as a potential customer. Congrats Ubisoft, as both a PC gamer and console gamer, you can be assured that I won't be buying (and not wasting my time pirating) any of your future products if this is the attitude you have towards your customers. What's funny is I never get upset about this stuff, but if you are making blanket statements like this then fuck you.

Seriously fuck off and die.
#20 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
Ubisoft has been in the business of fucking over legitimate customers for a long time now, and this is the logical final step in that process.
No, the final logical step in that process is requiring a paid subscription to play a singleplayer-only game. Use your imagination, friend!
#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Whatever, Ghost Recon's been getting dumber and dumber as it went on.

I stopped after 2.

#22 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

@KingWilly: @KingWilly said:

@phrosnite said:

Meh, in my view Ubi releases a ton of good games but nothing that's really impressive. There isn't a single ubi game that I'm looking forward to atm.

@Village_Guy: I think that the problem of PC piracy is way overrated. Pirates are mostly people who can't afford games and while it doesn't excuse them it does imply that they wouldn't bring much income in anyway. Some study was done that indicated that 1000 illegal downloads would only result in 1 legit buy if piracy was eliminated.

#23 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@zels said:

Some study was done that indicated that 1000 illegal downloads would only result in 1 legit buy if piracy was eliminated.

Totally agree on that. Ubisoft makes the huge mistake of thinking that every pirated copy is a game sale lost. Here piracy is huge and I'm one of the few who actually buys the game they want to play and I can tell you that if pirates couldn't pirate the game they won't care about it anymore. They will never go out and buy it. Ubisoft needs to understand that and stop being a spoiled child.
#24 Edited by Christoffer (1759 posts) -

All stupid DRM stuff aside, I like Ubisoft, and would love for them to dig deeper into the PC market. The problem is, as we all know, that they treat PC like second hand console.

Like Gabe Newell said, you can only defeat piracy by offering people a better choice legally. I like that approach.

Edit: Was it Gabe that said that? I could be wrong.

#25 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Hey ubisoft i play PC games that must make me a pirate. Assholes never buying any of your shitty games ever again.

#26 Edited by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@GorillaMoPena said:

Finally a failproof DRM system

The ultimate piracy prevention system!!

EDIT - I'd also like to add that the number of people in this thread throwing hissy fits over this and saying 'Im never buying another Ubisoft game again!!!' is hilarious. You chuckle heads are so theatrical sometimes haha.
#27 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Part of me just wants to go and pirate Assassin's Creed just to spite them. Ubisoft can go fuck themselves.

#28 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Dang, well I guess if anyone would it would be Ubisoft. That being said it doesn't look like PC gamers are going to be missing out on much.

#29 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

This is actually a pretty interesting development. The PC/console market split has been a line drawn in the sand for years. Does this mark a turning point where console devs make games SOLELY for consoles? Probably not, but they future's going to be "interesting."

#30 Posted by Genaciv (12 posts) -

This is what happens when Corporate Communications don't bother giving basic guidelines on what kind of talk can be misinterpreted (and they clearly didn't do a good job differentiating GRO from GRFS PC....)

Sebastien Arnoult (guy quoted) is a producer on a free-to-play game, and what he said was while referencing HIS game, not all of Ubisoft. It's like having a GameStop manager get quoted as saying they won't be selling any more games, that they'll be selling movies instead. Does ONE manager's comment automatically mean all of the company is doing that??

Anyways, Seb was orginally with GRFS PC. Then, GRFS kind got rebooted, so the studio porting the PC title decided to do their own thing, and pitched the free-to-play Ghost Recon Online. After all, their assets would go to waste otherwise :P And so what if he called PC gamers pirates? If that helped him pitch his game to higher-ups, than cool, it means PC gamers are getting a game that has the same production values as a 50 dollar boxed product, but for FREE, with a different business model. What's the big deal?

As for GRFS, its still on track for the X360, PS3, and PC (different studio for the PC port than the one that was originally supposed to do it, of course).

#31 Edited by avidwriter (667 posts) -

@msavo: That's just the "lets pull an excuse out of a bag as to why we won't be making a PC port" excuse. However now, all the options in that bag are "piracy". Yep piracy really sure does hurt Steam sales. *rolls eyes*

"clearly meant to be €60's worth of super-Hollywood content," Oh Ubisoft, you are so far up your own ass you popped out your mouth again.

#32 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Everybody should pirate the console versions. 

#33 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Was it the game where they had Kinect support that made you look like a retard when trying to shoot? If so then I am super depressed that we can't get this once in a lifetime experience on the PC.

#34 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I can manage without their incredibly shitty ports.

#35 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Everybody should pirate the console versions.

A lot of people do, it's just no one notices. The profit margins are so high there.

#36 Posted by Optix12 (611 posts) -

The only real franchise I enjoy from Ubisoft is AC and as Genaciv said above, it is probably better that they focus more of their attention on GRO than a console port which probably wont be much better than the consoles Especially considering they would have to compete with Battlefield play4free

#37 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

Damn, and I would have bought it. Do they realize each pirated copy doesn't mean 1 lost sale?

#38 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

I'm fine with this. I'd rather they not create a pc version than to make one with drm everyone hates.

#39 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon said:

@phrosnite said:

No seriously I rarely see anyone interested in this publisher anymore. Aside from the occasional triple A title like Assassin's Creed, I avoid any of their shit and I see a lot of people do the same. Their games don't get a lot of buzz on Steam. 
Ubisoft can eat my ass, we don't want their broken shit on the PC.
#40 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Piracy is apparent and I despise it.

That however doesn't change the fact that I couldn't are less about most Ubisoft games (the only one I can think of looking interesting is Rayman Origins) but their history of shitty PC support and terrible ports just make me shrug.

Nobody gives a fuck Ubisoft. Even if there was zero piracy in the world your games wouldn't sell well on PC. (Hyperbole but yeah).

#41 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

it's Ubisoft.  Making irrational claims and doing stupid crap with their PC games is just normal for them.

#42 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

But how can I give them my money if they don't give me a chance to

#43 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

Ubisoft needs to stop making games period.

OOHH LOOK ITS A NEW KINECT GAME FROM UBISOFT OMG

#44 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Looks horrendous anyway. Can't say I'd have bothered pirating it, if I were that way inclined.

#45 Edited by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

@Intro said:

Damn, and I would have bought it. Do they realize each pirated copy doesn't mean 1 lost sale?

Okay, A) You understand this is an old thread, right? And B) You understand this old thread is old and outdated because it's coming to PC now, right?

Jesus, this applies to the lot of you as well.

#46 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Basically every person's post in this thread has been the same as my response to my 8th grade crush turning me down ,"WELL GOOD! I DON'T EVEN LIKE YOU ANYWAYS!" The game looks alright I guess.

#47 Posted by predator (350 posts) -
#48 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

I still find hilarious the notion that piracy is not an issue.. Penny Arcade Games among a lot other gone down thanks to piracy.

#49 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Intro said:

Okay, A) You understand this is an old thread, right? And B) You understand this old thread is old and outdated because it's coming to PC now, right?

Jesus, this applies to the lot of you as well.

Doesn't matter, that's my opinion of the subject of the thread.

Thanks for letting me know it's still coming to PC though.

#50 Edited by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

I hear there are pirates on 360 and PS3, better stop making games for those too!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.