The year is 2008, and the world is teetering on the brink of all out war. Russian radical ultranationalists have seized control of the Kremlin, with the intent of re-establishing the old Soviet Union. One by one, the once independent republics of Belarus, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan slip back into Russian control. Soviet tanks sit and wait in the Caucasus Mountains and the Baltic forests, poised to strike. The world holds it's breath, and waits.
For the 5th Special Forces Group, First Battalion, D Company, the war has already begun. Deployed on "peacekeeping" duty on the Georgia-Russian border, these men are the tip of the spear. Equipped with the latest advancements in technology and weaponry, and trained in the latest techniques of covert warfare, they strike, swiftly, silently, and invisibly.
They call themselves "The Ghosts".
There are four classes that each "Ghost" falls under:
- Rifleman - The foundation of any squad, the Rifleman is a well rounded class that utilizes assault rifles, as well as a variety of secondary weapons, ranging from grenade launchers to side arms.
- Support - A bit of a deviation from the norm, the Support class does not focus on buffing squad-mates or distributing health. Rather, his support comes in the form of heavy machine gun fire and extra armor, making him a tough target to take down and a loud distraction that allows the other Ghosts to stealthy reach more tactical ground.
- Demolitions - As the name implies, this class is all about blowing the enemy to kingdom come. The Demolitions class's primary use is to take down large structures with his demo charges or destroy enemy tanks with his anti-tank missile launcher.
- Sniper - The silent assassin of the squad, the Sniper specializes in long range support fire and in silent takedowns. Equipped with a ghillie suit, the Sniper most often seeks an elevated position behind his squad and provides vital scouting intel as well as covering fire.
Each Ghost can be upgraded by using combat points to increase accuracy and other stats. Each ghost will also receive medals for participating in combat missions. If killed in combat, a new soldier will replace the deceased.
- OS: Windows® 2000/XP (only)
- Processor: 450 MHz Pentium® 2 or equivalent
- Memory: 128 MB
- Graphics: 16 MB DirectX®-compliant 3D card (see supported list*)
- DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 or higher (included)
- Sound: DirectX 8-compliant sound card
- Hard Drive: 1 GB
*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI® Rage 128 and RADEON® chips, Intel® 82810 or higher, Matrox Parhelia™
NVIDIA® TNT2 and GeForce™ chips, S3 Pro Savage and UniChrome.
Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. These chipsets are currently the only ones that will run this game.