Is HAWX 360 a Crash Factory?

• 109 results
Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
When it's actually running, HAWX seems like a decent Ace Combat-style plane game.
I popped in a retail copy of Tom Clancy's HAWX yesterday to get working on a review and discovered that there seems to be some kind of "issue" with the 360 version of the game.

Once I get past the game's intro movie and hit the title screen, upon hitting start, the 360 makes a noise like it's attempting to open up the "pick your save location" window, but the window never comes and the game just sort of dies at the title screen.

I've booted up the game a total of four times so far. The first two attempts were crashes, but the third time was the charm, letting me get in and actually play (where there were no further problems). Now, coming back for more today, my fourth boot crashed. This fourth attempt came after installing the game to the 360's hard drive, the other three were off the disc.

After griping about it a bit on Twitter, I only found one other person with the same problem, so it doesn't seem to be happening to every single HAWX owner out there. But I'm curious to hear about how widespread it actually is.

So, if you've picked up HAWX, how is it running? Is it running at all?

As for me, I'm going to get back to reviewing Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, which is... not a great game. So far, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is both a better and a funnier third-person shooter.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
When it's actually running, HAWX seems like a decent Ace Combat-style plane game.
I popped in a retail copy of Tom Clancy's HAWX yesterday to get working on a review and discovered that there seems to be some kind of "issue" with the 360 version of the game.

Once I get past the game's intro movie and hit the title screen, upon hitting start, the 360 makes a noise like it's attempting to open up the "pick your save location" window, but the window never comes and the game just sort of dies at the title screen.

I've booted up the game a total of four times so far. The first two attempts were crashes, but the third time was the charm, letting me get in and actually play (where there were no further problems). Now, coming back for more today, my fourth boot crashed. This fourth attempt came after installing the game to the 360's hard drive, the other three were off the disc.

After griping about it a bit on Twitter, I only found one other person with the same problem, so it doesn't seem to be happening to every single HAWX owner out there. But I'm curious to hear about how widespread it actually is.

So, if you've picked up HAWX, how is it running? Is it running at all?

As for me, I'm going to get back to reviewing Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, which is... not a great game. So far, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is both a better and a funnier third-person shooter.
Staff
#2 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

aw, poor matt hazard lol. sucks about the crashes.

#3 Posted by pucku21 (6 posts) -

Nope

#4 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

I wish I could help you, but this game just didn't sell me on a 60 buck drop. Try doing that cache clearing thing, maybe?

#5 Edited by babz (309 posts) -

kick it...........

#6 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I've tried it and when I got to the title screen all it said was, "Nope".

#7 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Yup crashes, glad I rented it.

#8 Edited by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

It can not be a widespread issue, Ubisoft would'nt mess up something on this scale, right?

#9 Posted by Jambi86 (25 posts) -

Maybe It's the 360. My year old 360 started acting like that just before it TRL'd last night.

#10 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

It crashed for me and my bud at his house. Rented it along with Fifty Cent Blood on the Sand, and his 360 just crashed up to ten times with HAWX. Put in Fifty Cent, worked great.

#11 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -

Matt Hazard would have been great if developed by Double Fine. They would be perfect to make that game.

#12 Edited by killdave (1073 posts) -

Doubtful that the game would have a crash in it so early and obvious in the game. Sony/MS/Ninty have their own quality control checks seperate from the game companies.
Its one of the reasons why I like console games vs PC games. Empire Total War is Soooooooooooooo buggy its criminal they charge people to play it.

Im guessing you'll need to phone MS soon for another repair, just make sure you complain if its more than one week to get your "free game or controller" xD

#13 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

This is no help at all but -- the PS3 version loads fine.

Hope you get it sorted.

#14 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -
DiGiTaL_SiN said:
"It can not be a widespread issue, Ubisoft would'nt mess up something on this scale, right?"
See: Far Cry 2 game breaking glitches numbers 1-6.
#15 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -

Sounds weird. Do you still have your launch-360, Jeff? Not that it should matter anything...

#16 Posted by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

Ubisoft? Fucking up another Tom Clancy title? No!

I hate them.

#17 Posted by mouse5050 (35 posts) -

thats why you play on p3...

#18 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Typical Ubisoft they can't do anything right.

#19 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Way to rush another game Ubisoft.

#20 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Wow since when did people start bashing Ubi? They have good development teams that make quality games. Also as far as I know the HAWX issue doesn't seem to be widespread.

@Killdave - the technical problems with Empire are due to Steam, of which they've already fixed the majority of the cases and are quickly getting out patches for the rest. DOW2 had similar issues and was fully patched in less than a week. It has nothing to do with the developers.

#21 Posted by Soap (3570 posts) -

Hot damn, crashing on the start menu? Thats a new low in "meh, ship it... we can always patch it" mentality.

#22 Posted by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -

If there's one thing that worse than a Publisher or Dev "supposedly" messing something up, it's people who actually complain about Publishers or Dev's.

"Yo Fifty! yo' game's better!"

#23 Posted by Bioderm (194 posts) -

Its funny how console are becoming like pc with crashing prblem overheating and patching. Why not just get a pc :P?

#24 Posted by zyberbob (11 posts) -

I have the same problem

#25 Posted by MeatSim (10778 posts) -

Does Ubisoft even play test there games? Farcry 2 has a game breaking glitch too.

#26 Posted by The_Icon (573 posts) -

Damn that sucks, how could this flaw pass the quality testing? Dont let this hold u from the ps3 review man.

#27 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

While ive got no experience my friend said he picked it up, couldn't get it to work, gave up and returned it. So maybe it is widespread

#28 Posted by Milkman (16541 posts) -

My friend has been playing HAWX pretty much non-stop since release with no problems at all. I don't know maybe he just got lucky.

#29 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

HAWX NEEDS HAX TO RUN!

#30 Posted by theMcNasty (741 posts) -

Ubisoft, FTW!

#31 Edited by JunkanooPunch (93 posts) -

i love how the humor of the 50 cent game is spreading to comments on other games lol

sadly I don't have the game yet so i can't comment on actual topic though ;*(

GL getting it to work Jeff.

#32 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Wow this is crazy that so many people are having problems. I can understand how glitches IN the game can occur from time to time but this is something else.

#33 Posted by Schaffer (6 posts) -

I had the PS3 demo version crash on me once during mid game action. Since then, I have had multiple goes with no trouble. I know this doesn't help your 360 trouble, but maybe you'll get a chance to try the PS version instead.

#34 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

Go buy it for Pc.

#35 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

I was going to mention if you tried it while it being installed to your harddrive. That is pretty weird, and even more so that it is doing that when you have it loading off the HDD.

#36 Posted by Lunchbox (11 posts) -

I downloaded the demo last night and it crashed on me twice.  I don't know how close the demo was to the final product as far as the coding goes but I didn't bother trying to finish it. 

#37 Posted by TheFrostedGamer (296 posts) -

YO FIFTY! GOT DIS NEW GAME, MAN!

#38 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Play the PS3 version of a multiplatform game for once Jeff, I bet you wont have a problem there

#39 Posted by Adam579 (26 posts) -

it crashed once for me at the title screen other than that its fine

#40 Posted by boots5555 (1 posts) -

I smell a RROD creeping..

#41 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

whats holding Jeff back from playing it on the ps3 version?? i know he's a point whore and everything....but comon...

#42 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I saw that on your Twitter, Jeff. That is too bad. I am not going to get this game but it looks okay, I guess. Weird crashes and loads definitely deter me from even considering to buy it. Maybe a patch will fix it perhaps.

#43 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

I haven't bought it yet. I was actually thinking about maybe picking this up on the 360... Guess I'll get it on Steam instead.

Hope it sorts out Jeff!

#44 Edited by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Yea man, i rented it and i had it crash on the start the first 2 times, then worked the third time. Doesn't crash every time now, but it still happens.

#45 Posted by ObsideonDarman (641 posts) -

The Demo Sucked!

#46 Posted by Derekh1029 (55 posts) -

I just tried playing the demo on my PC. It wont even run... I definitely meet all the min requirements and i have tried installing it multiple times...

#47 Posted by AndrewB (7515 posts) -

When you mentioned crashing on Twitter, I thought you were talking about the PC version, which has run fine and dandy for me. It might possibly be a scratchy disc, or your/that office 360 in particular.

#48 Edited by Karmum (11517 posts) -
Venatio said:
"Play the PS3 version of a multiplatform game for once Jeff, I bet you wont have a problem there"
I'm pretty sure he reviewed the PS3 version of Skate 2, or at least did the quick look on it. I think he even mentions he didn't play much of the 360 version in the video. Guess what, he is even playing Mega Man 9 on the PS3, in this video. He is using a white DS3 controller.
#49 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

lol truly an epic failure by Ubi

#50 Posted by Gurney (15 posts) -

Got my copy of HAWX through Gamefly and it seems to be a little crash happy.  Also from what little I've played it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.