Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

Tom Clancy's HAWX put the player in a variety of aircraft and their goal is to defend various countries from foreign attack

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. PC Demo Impressions

diplomatico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By diplomatico

I caught wind of a demo that was made available on the Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. website for the PC and tonight I gave her a little spin.  This flight combat sim is probably one of the only new generation combat sims to be available for the PC which should be good news for those who play Flight Simulator wishing that their commercial airliner were an F-16 dodging imaginary missiles coming off a mountain top.  (We could only wish FS would actually be that cool...or not)  

The demo features a training stage where you fly over Rio de Janeiro bravely fending off a cavalcade of unmanned drones.  With the Major sitting in and basically training you how to use a fighter jet with unlimited ammo (but limited flares), you learn how to maneuver the plane with all of the 'limiters' disabled (i.e. Normal or Expert modes).  Which basically means the view changes; instead of flying from directly behind the plane, you have a distant shot giving you a good view of both what you are following and what is following you while sorta giving you a view of what's below you when your nose is a little lower.  With the included mission that is also available, you will find that Expert will serve to make the game more challenging, giving you a slightly different view of the map.  With the included mission of the same map, you start off with F-16A Falcon engaging targets in-air and on the ground.  While playing with the assistance on will serve you well, there are incentives for destroying targets with it off.  For the demo, XP points reward you for skillful play and even unlocked additional planes such as AV-8B Harrier II and SU-35 Super Flanker each with a unique secondary weapon.  For instance the Harrier has a Free-Fall bomb which is good for hitting ground targets from a higher altitude and the Flanker has Guided Missles which can almost guarantee a single deadly hit easily bringing the enemy down providing you keep the target within a circular reticul as the missle makes it way to the target.  Further, when maneuvering through the skies with the Assistance Off, it makes using the secondary weapons more challenging.  This I feel makes the gameplay have a bit more substance and adds to the challenge of taking out enemies in creative ways doing more than just try to get behind an enemy and launch a missile at them.  

The controls on an XBOX 360 controller are somewhat cumbersome but all the functionality that you would need are available from accessible buttons with the default layout.  One cool feature is a 'missile-cam' that allows you to see your missile following a target.  Of course with jets from the near-future, you can be sure that they'll tell you when an attack is coming and give you some views on what is coming towards your plane as well as locking onto a target.  Really, it's not all that groundbreaking but given the context of Tom Clancy games attempting to bring real-world politics in maybe-more-than-likely scenarios, the only good news is that a relevant combat flight sim is coming to the PC and that should be enough for us.  

Of course, as a top-tier game. the graphics are excellent specifically with the plane models and the environments.  There are additional visual tricks via specialized DirectX 10 (and 10.1) effects that give the world a little more life but it ultimately stays true to it's arcade-like feel.  While this might be the point at which Tom Clancy's name gets pimped out to the point of disgust, this demo is sure to give optimism that there might be a worthwhile full-version coming up very soon.  

diplomatico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By diplomatico

I caught wind of a demo that was made available on the Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. website for the PC and tonight I gave her a little spin.  This flight combat sim is probably one of the only new generation combat sims to be available for the PC which should be good news for those who play Flight Simulator wishing that their commercial airliner were an F-16 dodging imaginary missiles coming off a mountain top.  (We could only wish FS would actually be that cool...or not)  

The demo features a training stage where you fly over Rio de Janeiro bravely fending off a cavalcade of unmanned drones.  With the Major sitting in and basically training you how to use a fighter jet with unlimited ammo (but limited flares), you learn how to maneuver the plane with all of the 'limiters' disabled (i.e. Normal or Expert modes).  Which basically means the view changes; instead of flying from directly behind the plane, you have a distant shot giving you a good view of both what you are following and what is following you while sorta giving you a view of what's below you when your nose is a little lower.  With the included mission that is also available, you will find that Expert will serve to make the game more challenging, giving you a slightly different view of the map.  With the included mission of the same map, you start off with F-16A Falcon engaging targets in-air and on the ground.  While playing with the assistance on will serve you well, there are incentives for destroying targets with it off.  For the demo, XP points reward you for skillful play and even unlocked additional planes such as AV-8B Harrier II and SU-35 Super Flanker each with a unique secondary weapon.  For instance the Harrier has a Free-Fall bomb which is good for hitting ground targets from a higher altitude and the Flanker has Guided Missles which can almost guarantee a single deadly hit easily bringing the enemy down providing you keep the target within a circular reticul as the missle makes it way to the target.  Further, when maneuvering through the skies with the Assistance Off, it makes using the secondary weapons more challenging.  This I feel makes the gameplay have a bit more substance and adds to the challenge of taking out enemies in creative ways doing more than just try to get behind an enemy and launch a missile at them.  

The controls on an XBOX 360 controller are somewhat cumbersome but all the functionality that you would need are available from accessible buttons with the default layout.  One cool feature is a 'missile-cam' that allows you to see your missile following a target.  Of course with jets from the near-future, you can be sure that they'll tell you when an attack is coming and give you some views on what is coming towards your plane as well as locking onto a target.  Really, it's not all that groundbreaking but given the context of Tom Clancy games attempting to bring real-world politics in maybe-more-than-likely scenarios, the only good news is that a relevant combat flight sim is coming to the PC and that should be enough for us.  

Of course, as a top-tier game. the graphics are excellent specifically with the plane models and the environments.  There are additional visual tricks via specialized DirectX 10 (and 10.1) effects that give the world a little more life but it ultimately stays true to it's arcade-like feel.  While this might be the point at which Tom Clancy's name gets pimped out to the point of disgust, this demo is sure to give optimism that there might be a worthwhile full-version coming up very soon.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I may give this a test flight. I don't expect it to be as good as Ace Combat though.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bioderm

Why do you keep saying flight sim when it's arcade...

I kind of liked this game but I really didnt like the mode where you had to be in cinematic mode for me it really killed the game... I dont want to be forced to fly in third person to do some acrobatic stuff.

I ran the game in Dx10 with everything on High and I was really pleased with the optimisation, unlike GTA4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.