I had no idea this game got gutted.

#1 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

According to the latest Game Informer, the creative director, narrative director, lead designer, and animation director have all been removed.

What the fuck?

#2 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

I got this from Joystiq... they say the game is still in production:

When Ubisoft confirmed that the creative director of Rainbow 6: Patriots, David Sears, had been replaced by Jean-Sebastien Decant, natural assumption was that it was over the title's morally ambiguous storyline. That's not quite the case, Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat told Game Informer.

Sears' departure was a mutual decision, Mallat said, and Ubisoft is "evolving the vision that came from David's initial input." Sears, creative director David Sears, narrative director Richard Rouse III, lead designer Philippe Therien and animation director Brent George have left Team Rainbow, Mallat confirmed that Sears at least is still employed by Ubisoft Montreal. Mallat said he's been moved onto a "major project for a major brand."
#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9758 posts) -

How much "creative directing" do you really need for something like this though? It's just shooting regular-ass terrorists in regular-ass locations. They already used Vegas. That's about as creative as real-world locations get.

#4 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1210 posts) -

That's a shame.

#5 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

How much "creative directing" do you really need for something like this though? It's just shooting regular-ass terrorists in regular-ass locations. They already used Vegas. That's about as creative as real-world locations get.

It was supposed to deal with homegrown terrorist organizations and the like. Plus it wasn't just the creative director.

The blurb mentions the game is still on the way but, I have to wonder what went wrong?

#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

I really loved Vegas, this getting canned would be a bummer.

#7 Posted by Duminakan89 (72 posts) -

Wow that stinks, it had an interesting premise for the single player story.

#8 Posted by Nights (587 posts) -

Whatever, Rainbow Six as a series has been "dead," since Raven Shield. Like every other Tom Clancy franchise, it has been dumbed-down in order to please the masses.

#9 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

what is ubisoft doing??!! they did the same thing with conviction and ghost recon was delayed aswell.

what going on over there?

#10 Posted by Brendan (7518 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

I think you are severely underestimating the difficulty and creativity it takes to make things that even seem rote or rehashed to the average consumer. It's kind of depressing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.