Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 01, 2015

Rainbow Six Siege is a competitive multiplayer first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal. Players chose from a large roster of Operators with their own weapons and abilities to win round-based attack and defend matches.

Thoughts on the closed beta?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

So the closed beta started the other day and I've gotten a little bit of time in on it in both the regular mode and "terrorist hunt" mode. As a fan of variants of search and destroy game modes in shooters, Rainbow Six Siege seems like it's basically just a very grand version of search and destroy. There's a lot of fun to be had in this game, but I don't know how long it would hold my interest. A main problem I have is just in how long it takes to start each concurrent round of a match. It's like a minute+ long wait between rounds and that is really far too long. Terrorist Hunt mode seems like a cool diversion, too, but I've only played against "normal" bots and they're really dumb. I'll have to check out the harder difficulties and see how that goes.

I could see myself buying this game down the road when it hits $30 or so, but at the same time, what will the community look like at that point? That's always a problem with these online only games.

Anyways, have you played it and what are your thoughts on the beta?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I cant say I'm a big fan of the competitive multiplayer, which is unfortunate because that's kind of what they've been selling this game with, but I do really like Terrorist Hunt. Always have. You're free of the time constraint of the competitive modes and it allows you to really think about how you're going to breach a building and infiltrate this or that. It's also really fun on harder difficulties, where the AI isn't quite as stupid.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wish I could get a code for it. Still haven't gotten an email.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant say I'm a big fan of the competitive multiplayer, which is unfortunate because that's kind of what they've been selling this game with, but I do really like Terrorist Hunt. Always have. You're free of the time constraint of the competitive modes and it allows you to really think about how you're going to breach a building and infiltrate this or that. It's also really fun on harder difficulties, where the AI isn't quite as stupid.

Is T-Hunt in the beta. I saw their hype video for something like it. But, it looked like staged garbage and since the maps are so small it felt like competitive with Bots.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

The whole one life per round is what I started playing online with back with Socom on PS2. I keep telling myself that it's the best way to have online games. I'll still play normal respawn modes, but the one life per round always has held a special place for me.

I feel like though, I just don't have the patience to wait around anymore once I'm killed in the beginning of the game since, odds are I'm not that good at it.

Anyway, back to the game, it seems like it's pretty decent. I just don't know if it can hold my attention. I'm curious about the single player aspect. I loved the single player in both Rainbow Six Vegas games.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@mightyduck: Is there actually a single player campaign in this game?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#8  Edited By MightyDuck

@clairvoyantvibrations: @redbullet685:good point!

I just assumed there was a single player since they made such a big deal about having the one actress at E3 who is in the game (sorry! her name escapes me at the moment).

Hmmm, can't say I'm as interested now. If I'm going to buy a MP only game...I'm leaning towards Battlefront at this point due to my Star Wars "fanboy-ism."

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I have been playing it for the last week and I have to say it has me intrigued as well as concerned.

As far as the gameplay loop goes, the game seems to mix up the first person tactical genre in some interesting ways that really makes the game stand out from every other shooter that has come out recently. The 30 second planning period is very unique and fun to control the drones. The CQC and destructible environments are fucking awesome. Classes seem varied and interesting, and the slower pacing of the game creates insane tensions during matches unlike anything I have played in a long time. As far as comparing it to the other AAA shooters coming out this year, rainbow is by far the most mechanically interesting and fresh.

Because it is a beta the only thing i'll say about the matchmaking is that it's just straight up bad, probably playing 1/2 matches every hour for the first 3 days of the closed beta, but that can change for the final release. The part i'm really concerned about is how the game handles dropped players. Due to the slow paced nature of the game and the relatively long length of matches, if 2 or 3 players were to drop from a the game early on, the matchmaking does not auto fill people into ongoing games and completely destroys the tension of the game. Having to play a 2v5 because three guys disconnect from the game in the first match means that there is a guaranteed 3 more matches against only two players which is both time consuming and not fun. Hopefully this can get addressed through some kind of penalty for dropping matches or an auto-join feature in non-ranked matches but as of right now there's no solution and it's a huge bummer.

And now for the jank. This game is mad rough around the edges. Players clip through barricades, drones fall through the map, kill-cams follow the wrong players, and ragdoll seems completely broken. You can definitely tell this is a modern Ubisoft game. Nothing seems polished and you get the sense right off the bat that this game could use a couple months of serious polish and fine tuning, and when I say a couple months I mean like 3 or 4 not 1 or 2.

that being said, when you play a full match where nobody drops, there's really nothing like it. Repelling up and down building, shooting through walls to create new lines of sight, and using scouting equipment such as drones and cameras really make this game FPS stand out in front of a bunch of shooters that have been shoving the same old shit done people throats for the past decade. I just hope these guys can figure out a way to polish it up and fix matchmaking before it's released.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played Bit earlier, could not get over how bad it looks.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Of the games I've played that it's not just kicked me from, it plays like a super console friendly version of the older good R6 games. Now it's no Raven Shield, but it's fun enough.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sadsadsad

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

This code will (probably) self-destruct in ten seconds.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By gundogan

I like it. It's not as 'gamey' as Counter-Strike on some levels so the ambiance creates enough tension, yet it's streamlined enough so you can play with randoms just fine. The destruction is really cool in combination with all the gadgets like rapelling and breaching and makes you think about positioning and sound all the time. Co-op is fun to play as well since the bots use the defensive gadgets too and are fairly agressive if you go loud.

My biggest fear with this game is that it turns out like Titanfall and Evolve: not enough content and unlocks to keep the majority of players busy for a longer time. And they haven't said much about the singleplayer (there will be one, but most likely it's the co-op on your own with some story stuff in between), which doesn't bode well.

And yea, it's still rough and being an Ubisoft game, that's also not a good sign.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nickhead

I'm not a fan of the series but I did play a bit of the beta just to see what it was all about. There were some fun aspects but nothing really convinced me to play it when it releases.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Can't believe how far this series has fallen since it's golden years.These games used to be the pinnacle of the tactical shooter genre, peaking in 2004 with Raven Shield. They could have easily just went with that formula, instead they have to shovel out a poor man's version of Counter Strike.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing it for a while. Upped the sensitivity but the controls still feel a lil slow/floaty to me. Also don't like having to unlock operators so I Can have custom classes. I just want to play with my MP5 kitted out and not be Doc. Also the game failst to host migrate all the damn time.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brundage: I can't tell you the last time a Rainbox Six game didn't have mad jank. Vegas 1 and 2 both were incredibly janky. Not that this is an excuse.

Also I have been trying to get on the PS4 beta for a bit now and I can't connect to the servers. Seems like they are down according to people bitching on the forums.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty fun, 60 dollars still seems steep for a multiplayer only game though.

AwkwardLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard time finding matches and all too often die before I even know what happened, it's clearly not for me I guess glad ingredients to to try it first.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So how much is terrorist hunt like Vegas 1 and 2 terrorist hunt? that mode had room for improvement certainly in those games but it was really fun to play.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get a hard Evolve-feeling from this. A game that will be somewhat popular at release, but player interest will quickly start to dwindle. I suspect it won't survive for long.

That's just the feeling I get though, personally I love the game and the idea, so I do HOPE it will last. Like the beta for the most part.

Mwmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mwmorph

I've played quite a bit over the last few days.

Matchmaking is not good, ping is all over the place. I've had matches at 50 ping and matches at over 400. I have also never been host for whatever reason. Non matchmaking bugs are also prevalent. I've had the game crash a handful of times while in a match. Overall, this game would seriously benefit from dedicated servers for VOIP/chat and Terrorist hunt mode.

The shooting feels fantastic. It feels like a more modern version of counter strike. Gamey enough to be fun, but bullets have enough of an impact and enough recoil that you can't just run and gun. Movement feels good, the difference in armor protection v.s. mobility makes characters feel different.

If anyone hasn't played it yet, I would compare R6 Siege to Counter Strike like the Chevy Corvette v.s. the Porsche 911. Both are great and do relatively the same job as well, but go about it in different ways. While CSGO because of it's history and e-sports balance has held on to a lot of familiar legacy traditions from 1998 while R6 Siege beings a lot of new things to the table like destructibility, vertical movement and many more gadgets/accessories. Both are broadly similar, but feel different enough that I don;t think they're direct competitors.

On the topic of game balance, I would not mind having magazines come back instead of a straight ammo pool, so you have to think about when to reload instead of anytime you fire a shot.

Suicide bombers are obnoxious in terrorist hunt. Sometimes it feels fine, but there are many times where they will walk around a blind corner and insta-kill you which doesn't feel fun. Also because pistols don't seem to stun suicide bombers and without head-shots, they have massive health pools, shield characters with pistols only and a slow aim down sights animation feels really gimped in terrorist hunt.

Classes the way they're handled are an awful idea. The unlock system is annoying, but the true problem comes with limited classes and only 1 available per match. That way, if someone plays Fuze, you can't also select Fuze, which means if you sink renown into making the AR-12 upgraded, you will not even be able to use it. Weapons should not be unique, or renown should not be used to purchase individual add-ons for individual guns. If I buy the holo-sight, I should be able to mount it onto Thermite's gun too then. There's situations I've been in where I have 4 offense and 3 defensive operators unlocked, where I had to pick recruit and play a class with none of my weapon attachments because the classes I owned are already picked.

Furthermore, if you have 2 characters that use the exact same weapons, you have to buy the same attachments TWICE. If I buy a laser for Doc's MP-5, I also have to buy the same laser again for Rook's MP-5. It's feels just like a renown drain.

I also fear for the longevity of this game. Without a SP campaign and the limited amounts of modes, I don't see myself playing much long term.

It's very much at risk of hitting the Titanfall problem. The core shooting and movement feel FANTASTIC. I adore the actual game-play, but I don't see myself continuing to play with what content is available for months. I've played 3 of the 11 maps for a few days and I'm already starting to get tired of them. I really hope the retail release includes a lot more game-play variations on the modes.

I don't think I'll pick it up for $60. There's not enough game from what I've seen and what I can extrapolate/expect from the full game, but i could definitely see myself picking it up for $30 if there is still a multiplayer community by then.

I hope it does well. The core game-play I stress again feels absolutely great, but I have my doubts.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who loved playing Raven Shield back in the day I'm a bit confused why this game is titled "Rainbow Six" because there is barely anything in this game that plays, looks and feels like it. It's a spazzy CoD-like shooter with TF2 like "operaters" you can choose. One of them is called "Smoke" and wears a gasmask.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really liking what I've been playing, but since this is a purely objective based multiplayer so far it's been interesting seeing if people can avoid the TDM mentality. I breached into the house in one match and found the objective right away with no enemies in sight. Put down the defuser and we could all basically wait it out. I didn't fire a shot that match and we still won. But you could tell on my teammates that they were on their way into the house (and in doing so endangering both themselves and our success). I can see a well coordinated squad wrecking random groups though.

At the end of the day though, I'll mainly get this for coop terrorist hunt with friends and family. My brother and I have a history of playing R6V for hours doing just terrorist hunt, so I am hoping this game works for that. But, as I said in my comment to the trailer for the beta, it all comes down the whether or not the maps are sizable and interesting enough. So far the maps are quite small and narrow. Making your errors fatal a bit too fast (especially on Hard).

@mwmorph:Hm. Your points regarding classes, weapon unlocks, etc. are spot on. Never actually thought much about it as I was playing but you're right, that's a really weird setup.

senescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By senescent

It's completely okay with friends. I won't buy it but it has made me even more excited for Due Process.

The servers are also pretty broken. Matchmaking just put my party of 3 against a full party of 5. Oh well.

Loading Video...

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brundage

@mwmorph:

I don't think this game will ever suffer from a titanfall problem. Whereas Titanfall felt like COD with parkour with mechs, Rainbow feel far more unique than any other tactical FPSs out there. Especially in a world of COD fatigue, it's not surprising why Titanfall struggled to keep an avid fan base with its barebones gameplay. Rainbow should be fresh enough to sustain a decent community, But yeah, the lack of dedicated servers and a server browser could wind up hurting them in the long run. And charging 60 shillings for a multiplayer only game is tough to do...now that I really think about it, yeah okay, I could totally see this suffering from the titanfall problem. I'm still really pulling for it though, the concept of tactical emergent gameplay through destructible environments is something i've always fantasized about and this game seems to be the closest to realizing that goal. This has been the most fun i've had with a competitive shooter in a good long while.

Edit: Regardless of whether this game ends up cultivating a strong community in the long run or not, i kind of don't care. After playing over 10 hours with my friends on only 3 out of 10 maps, I could easily see people justifying 60 for this game. Especially people going into the game with a group of friends. I'd say if this type of game interests you but you don't have a group that can play with you, it might be harder to justify that cost. But if you can find 3 or 4 buds to play with and you like these types of games, dude, totally go for it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I finally got in some games and I am really into it. It's still pretty buggy; I have been dropped from matches and have had match making take 5+ minutes before. Outside of those issues though, it's really tight.

The way the classes come into play and how the defenders set up their defenses keeps all the matches fresh. Since the defenders have limited supplies there is no guarantee that a particular set up will be a success. I've had rounds where I thought we had a top notch defense, only to have them come in through a ceiling or door we left unattended.

I think the biggest concern with this game is if they can fix all the network issues before launch and if there is enough content to justify the price tag. I think this would of been better off being priced similar to CS:GO(which I believe launched at 40).

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dezztroy

The gameplay is great and it feels unique. I'd definitely keep playing after launch but it's facing a similar problem Evolve did, being that it's a MP-only game with not a whole lot of content for $60. Atleast it doesn't have 100$+ worth of DLC at launch, but still.

I believe this game will be just as dead as Evolve in a month or two, which is a real shame.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a couple of spare (ps4) beta keys if anyone needs them;

6T7Q-NANR-N2EB

39MB-DCN2-5AHG

7JTG-P8N3-LA37

SourPatchJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been enjoying the terriorist hunt. Don't think I will buy right away for $60. Maybe wait for a price drop.

Here some pc beta keys.

CK74-XGXM-Y3X7-C3HE

Y3CA-HRML-HYCT-AKLP

WHCV-MJAN-Y9KR-4CYC

WYCL-WLHY-63J7-HLCD

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 Beta Keys

A93B-LNNA-K88R

CAGB-DRN8-DKRL

JC57-6MNB-FLQP

RHKJ-QMNG-53CA

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for a bit today and found it just kind of... boring?
    There are huge chunks of downtime where you're either waiting to get into a game, waiting for the match to start, waiting because you died, waiting for the sides to switch and gear to be chosen, waiting. As someone who has played a ton of CS i don't mind a bit of waiting, as long as the gameplay is worth waiting for and i'll be honest i spent most of my time on it today being dead, someone saw my foot in a gap and shot me through a wall, a random explosion happened, i was shot through a window on approach and since it was night time i had no idea he was there, was shot trying to plant a wall charge through the wall i was planting on, it feels way too easy to die at all times.
    I'll play some more to see if i or it gets any better, but first impression was very negative.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CatsAkimbo

Besides the game itself, the way they've handled the beta has been baffling. First they had signups on their website, then you could play a horrible Mission Impossible flash game to get a guaranteed beta invite, then at PAX they were literally giving away fistfuls of beta codes at their booth because they had too many, then they just opened it up to everyone who signed up on the site anyway, now they're sending out 5 extra codes to everyone in it to give to friends. Seems like it should've just been an open beta.

Having agreed to an NDA on their site to get in the beta a while ago, I'm hesitant to talk about it here, but I get the feeling none of you had to agree to anything like that, especially with these codes to just download the game directly without ever visiting their site.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Having agreed to an NDA on their site to get in the beta a while ago, I'm hesitant to talk about it here, but I get the feeling none of you had to agree to anything like that, especially with these codes to just download the game directly without ever visiting their site.

The technical beta from the 21st to the 24th was under NDA. The rest of the beta is not.

Pretty bummed out about the lack of singleplayer in the end. I will most likely buy it when it's cheap then.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

I had more fun with the competitive piece when this was still in alpha. That should never be the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.