Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

The sixth installment of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series and follows the events after Splinter Cell: Conviction.

My game of the year!

• 55 results
    JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As a big fan of stealth sp:blacklist was truly fantastic. I fucking adore this game more than any other game this year. It is the alpha protocol sequel that I always wanted. It is the most fun with a game I've had all year and more than deserving of game of the year. Runners up being fire elmblem awakening and tomb raider.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny, since my goty is AC4. Ubisoft is really upping its game huh.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist: ac4 is really good too, actually glad watchdogs did not come out this year.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I thought it had some significant problems but it's awesome you had such a positive experience with it! If you haven't played much of the mutliplayer I would recommend jumping into the classic modes and having some fun.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Awesome to hear. I will definately play it after finishing ACIV.
    Do you have any specific difficulty mode to recommend?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie: I never play any online modes, I have not touched spy vs mercs.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@h0lgr: no I played on normal. The side missions where you can't be seen are the tense fun I've had since first playing dark souls.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jz said:

@pie: I never play any online modes, I have not touched spy vs mercs.

its fun if you can find a crew to voice chat with. Blacklist was a great game but just kinda got lost in A. the shadows of Saints Row IV and B. the stigma of Tom Clancy bullshit that the series is known for. Really appreciate they tried to make Sam Fisher more of a character than just another soldier.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@jz: I pcked it up on Black Friday and am still making my way through it. What system did you play it on?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@jz: I really enjoyed Blacklist as well! I haven't finished it yet though - I got caught up playing spys v mercs. Add me on Uplay Jered2010

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JZ
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By JasonR86

I've only played five or so missions of the single player but it is really good. But for some reason I'm not really having fun exactly. I mean it is really good, it looks great, I think the story in concept is pretty neat (the dialogue on the other hand...). I'm just not having a lot of fun. I'll play for fifteen-thirty minute chunks and have my fill for the day. I don't really know how to put into words why that is though.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voshinova: oh I don't play anymore, I'm busy playing prototype 2 now.

Prototype 2 oddly hilarious I have actually laughed out loud while playing, the main character is so ridiculous and over the top it's mind blowing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

I've only played five or so missions of the single player but it is really good. But for some reason I'm not really having fun exactly. I mean it is really good, it looks great, I think the story in concept is pretty neat (the dialogue on the other hand...). I'm just not having a lot of fun. I'll play for fifteen-thirty minute chunks and have my fill for the day. I do t really know how to put into words why that is though.

Its definitely one of those games you don't play in one sitting. It's also pretty short too if you skip all the side stuff and just do the main storyline missions. Think I beat it over a weekend 8-10 hours.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: have you tried the Charlie waved base missions? They are like the batman predator challenges but better.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@jz:

I tried one, saw it was wave based, and stopped. I can't stand wave-based level design. But that's just a personal taste thing. I've always found that design tedious and boring.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I would not say that. I played it in several 4 hour long sittings. Everyone has different tastes. I'm just super into stealth games. I really actually loved alpha protocol and this reminds me of it in several key ways.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jz: That is true like most stealth games it depends on the mindset you go into the mission. Guns of blazing or super stealthy.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: well if it's a stealth game you should never go in guns a blazeing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jz said:

@i_stay_puft: well if it's a stealth game you should never go in guns a blazeing.

I played the situation but I never tried restarting if I got caught and had to gun it out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

Cool, it's one of the games that I want to play but haven't yet. I was actually going to buy it a few days ago, but got Metro Last Light instead. I love all the Splinter Cell games other than Double Agent. I went through Double Agent on hard, which was my first and only time through it, and I didn't enjoy my time with it. It wasn't hard, and I got the best ending, but I still absolutely hated going back to the base and being timed to do stuff. I don't like being timed because it takes away from what I love doing in games, exploring and taking in the atmosphere.

Plus, the visuals in general just weren't as fantastic as they could have been so some stages felt drab going through. Mechanically it about as good as the previous titles, but for me it couldn't save it. People say Conviction wasn't terrific because it went a more action route, and sure, that's true if you choose to play it that way, and I had initially thought, yeah, it's a great game, but why is it an action game? It's a great stealth game if you want it to be though. I honestly don't know why I haven't played Blacklist yet...

Since Tomb Raider is going to next-gen, I'll wait for that, and perhaps Blacklist will be the next game I buy. Furthermore, though it's not a stealth game in the traditional sense where you're some highly skilled, and trained agent, I felt The Last of Us was a great stealth game as well, if you can get past what I would consider as a negligible problem where the friendly A.I. can't be caught by enemies.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JZ

@ntm: 2013 year of stealth

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: :P Perhaps. I mean, the other game I mentioned, Metro Last Light is a pretty good stealth game too.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's just outside my top 10 of the year, but it is a fantastic game. I haven't really cared for any of the other Splinter Cell games, but this one gets a lot of the stealth stuff really right. I liked that it isn't game over after messing things up and you can nearly always get back to being in a hidden state even if you have to have a gunfight with three or four people to do so.

The story and the characters are absolutely awful though. Sam sounds so damn bored for the entirety of the game.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm loving it so far. The only reason I haven't beat it yet is because I had to hard reboot my computer, and for some reason Ubisoft doesn't cloud save this game. I lost my progress and had to start over.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I am not the one, but I feel a Hitman fanboy should come out and explain why blah blah blah blah nerdiness in stealth games, and then a Theif nerd comes in and blah blah blah blah and we all fall asleep because we don't care. Stealth games create the strangest fanboys.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: absolution was good and the new thief looks good.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I had time to play more of Spies vs Mercs, but the campaign was amazing. Probably in my top ten of the year. One of the best melds of stealth and action in any game.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's actually on my list too. I really enjoyed it. And I'm a huge fan of the old Splinter Cell games. The level design for some levels is among my favourite in the series.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished this earlier today. I've played all the games in the series and thought this one was really good. I thought the new voice of Sam was alright but I missed Michael Ironside.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I've been meaning to give this a shot. There were some really good sales earlier on Black Friday. I should have picked it up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've played enough of that game at a friend's house to know that I'd like to play more, if that counts as enthusiasm.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LucidDreams117

Hey, you know what. That's awesome. And the keyword here is "my" game of thru year. I too enjoyed the game. Had some issues, the end boss was shit. But overall had fun with it. And glad you did you. I'm sure not everyone will agree with my GOTY (GTAV) but that's why it's "my"

I'm all for discussion but hate when some people straight up hate on others opinions and choices.

To those on the fence about the game, play it. If you liked Conviction, you'll like it. It's fun. Bottom line. My recommendation, play it stealth style. Action is there when you need to go for it, but the stealth is more rewarding.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Eh, it's a big step down from my previous game of the year, Conviction.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently playing through this at the moment on ps3, and damn if this shit isn't good fun. I'm an old Splinter Cell fan, absolutly adored the first three games, some of my very best of that gen. When I first started this, sure I was bummed they changed Fisher and I still am, but I like the new Fisher in his own right too. The gameplay is absolutly top notch, looking like it's going to make its way into my top ten goty list.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Oddly Tomb Raider is really up there for me this year. Haven't played ACIV yet, nor splinter cell

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Oddly Tomb Raider is really up there for me this year. Haven't played ACIV yet, nor splinter cell

Heck yeah I'm always pushing Tomb Raider on people. That amazing game got swallowed up in a lot of bullshit drama that obfuscated the quality and care put into the gameplay itself.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By SharkEthic

Playing it right now. About halfway through. Seems really good, but I've basically played and liked every entry in the series (huge stealth fan).

BackupPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BackupPanic

I'm right there with you, duder! It's definitely my 2013 GotY, as well.

I admit, the loss of Ironside is a bit of a bummer but I think Eric Johnson does alright, and if it means replacing Micheal for more Splinter Cell games, than I'm all for it. I still don't understand why people think he has more character in this one over the previous ones though, I loved the first three Splinter Cells precisely because it wasn't all "character-defining plot point to next character-changing plot point". They inject more than enough character through the dialog with his team whilst still keeping the main story front and center. It's just what I want out of my Tom Clancy-derived military games, a focus on the actually threat and not whether this solider, whose personal life rarely has any relevance to the mission, grows as a person.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i also got Blacklist it is very good game, the only small problem i have with the game is that some of the side misions were made with 2 players in mind, multiplayer is cool 5 modes and good maps (my first spies vs mercs )

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yea it's pretty good, but I quickly found it to be getting super repetitive (the stealth part of it) as the game went on, as well as the story starting somewhat interesting and again going downhill over time. I did find the additional challenge modes entertaining tho.

Don't really see it as being in the same ballpark as Alpha Protocol however, they have very different aims and focuses. I played Alpha Protocol like an RPG for the choices and the dialogue, and the character skill progressions.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ntm said:

@jz: :P Perhaps. I mean, the other game I mentioned, Metro Last Light is a pretty good stealth game too.

Last Light is an absolutely terrible stealth game. This is one aspect that almost everyone says is super weak in the game. After people complained how stealth was too hard in 2033, the developers went completely the other way and made it super simple and easy. You have several instakill options that don't alert anyone, including infinite stealth throwing knifes, and you can literally stand right in front of human enemies faces without them seeing you, because it's 100% stealth as long as you're in shadow.

Ligerpotumus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Ligerpotumus

I really want to play through that game again, it's exactly what I want a stealth game to be. The old splinter cell games were to slow paced and clunky, this one is fast and fluid but still has a strong sense of danger. I personally wouldn't call it my game of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if others were that enthralled with it. Totally under-appreciated title.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

As a big fan of stealth sp:blacklist was truly fantastic. I fucking adore this game more than any other game this year. It is the alpha protocol sequel that I always wanted. It is the most fun with a game I've had all year and more than deserving of game of the year. Runners up being fire elmblem awakening and tomb raider.

You said it's the Alpha Protocol sequel you always wanted. I am a big fan of Alpha Protocol, and would love more insight into how these two games are related. I skipped this Tom Clancy game unknowingly, but would certainly play it if it's anything like Alpha Protocol.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: Wait WHAT? The multiplayer was the best part of Blacklist for me.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Last Light is an absolutely terrible stealth game. This is one aspect that almost everyone says is super weak in the game. After people complained how stealth was too hard in 2033, the developers went completely the other way and made it super simple and easy. You have several instakill options that don't alert anyone, including infinite stealth throwing knifes, and you can literally stand right in front of human enemies faces without them seeing you, because it's 100% stealth as long as you're in shadow.

I agree it's a terrible stealth game, but it's still a really damn fun game. In fact, it had more of an impact on me than any other game this year, which makes it my GOTY by a far run. Not only did I absolutely enjoy the story and game play, but it actually helped me of my fear of spiders. Never has a game had that type of impact on me, and it's hard to explain how Metro Last Light accomplished it.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By butano

It's definitely a Splinter Cell game I think is worthy of a 'true sequel' to Chaos Theory. Playing on Hard definitely felt like playing the older games again. It's on my top 10, possibly top 3 this year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NTM

@tennmuerti said:

@ntm said:

Last Light is a good stealth game, but it's really quite unrealistic, and yes, it is simple, even more so when you turn the brightness down since you know exactly where you can and can't go. It makes for a quick way through it. I didn't mind it much. I'd love to play Metro 2033 though.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PimblyCharles

Can someone PLEASE answer how Alpha Protocol and Blacklist are related?! If there are any large similarities between the two games, I am buying and playing Blacklist immediately. Alpha Protocol is one of my favorite games of all time; seriously.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.