Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Mar 23, 2005

The third outing for Sam Fisher finds him battling against terrorists who want to take control of the world using a simple algorithmic code.

I played a Splinter Cell game and I liked it

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Vigilance

I was bored, and started browsing steam, and noticed that Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory has a metascore in the 90's.  

Most people seem to hate these games, but with a metascore that high, and a price of 10 bucks, I figured it couldn't be THAT bad right?  

And I gotta say, it's a pretty fun game! 

The tutorials are *horrible* so learning the game was trial and error, but its relatively forgiving too.  

All in all, a thumbs up.     

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Chaos Theory is the best game in the series I think.  It really polished everything that they tried to do in the series before and had the most consistently awesome campaign.  It had a bunch of cool little touches that were new at the time and have been copied since, like the knife kills, the ability to pull enemies off ledges, and the ability to slice through thin barriers like paper walls and tents. The graphics were also amazing.  On Xbox it looked better than the 360 games in the early days.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By General_D23

Really? The only problems I've heard people complain about,  and agree with, are the fidgety controls and slow pace.... 

Ah, well, for the record, I also played and enjoyed previous Splinter Cell games, excluding Pandora Tomorrow, which I stopped halfway through, and am eagerly anticipating Conviction.     

EDIT: I do agree with the above poster that Chaos Theory was the best in the series, too, and that it got kind of dull in Double Agent. Looking forward to the shake-up that Conviction will bring.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

I actually enojyed all of the Splinter Cell games, even Double Agent (lots of people had weird glitches with that on the PC, but I only ran into one and that was easily dealt with) 
    But yeah, Chaos Theory is the best in the series so far, can't wait to see what Conviction is gonna be like

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jkz
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" Chaos Theory is the best game in the series I think.  It really polished everything that they tried to do in the series before and had the most consistently awesome campaign.  It had a bunch of cool little touches that were new at the time and have been copied since, like the knife kills, the ability to pull enemies off ledges, and the ability to slice through thin barriers like paper walls and tents. The graphics were also amazing.  On Xbox it looked better than the 360 games in the early days. "

Yeah. Chaos Theory is by far the best in the series. It had the most compelling story, in my opinion, and the game-play was among the best in the series. Double Agent's gameplay was just about on that level, but I thought that Chaos Theory's story was far superior.

Then again, Splinter Cell is one of my favorite series from the past two generations (that is, Xbox/PS2 era and 360/PS3
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Gump

Splinter Cell ROCKS.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Slippy

One of the best games, if not THE best game on the Xbox. The soundtrack is amazing.

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

People hate Splinter Cell? First I've heard. There was dislike towards Double Agent and then Conviction due to all the delays and changes, but that's about it. Lot of hype going for it now since it looks awesome.

Pseudo_Sidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Pseudo_Sidious

Yeah, the Giant Bomb guys all seem to really hate Splinter Cell. I love listening to their rants about it because it is funny. However, I love Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I think it is a great game.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phrosnite

ROFL! Who hates the Splinter Cell games? Are you mad?
    All games have 90+ for PC (except Double Agent).
    Splinter Cell games are THE BEST STEALTH ACTION GAMES EVER CREATED!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

Did you purposely make a Katy Perry reference in your topic title?

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darkmoney52

Best in the series definitely. You should try the co-op mode sometime it's a ton of fun.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Damian

I've enjoyed all of the SC games (pretty evenly) with the exception of Double Agent (which I bought and hated twice). 
    I've never noticed much undo criticism toward the series. What are these tasteless folks saying? Huh? HUH!?!

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is one of the best games ever made. Good for you.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy

Ive never managed to get into the Splinter Cell games (even though I somehow managed to own the first on PC, the second on PC and Xbox and the third on Xbox and Ngage) but thats easily explained since I find it very hard, and boring, to play stealth games. It always felt like it could be up my alley (much like MGS was and MGS4 is) but its never clicked but I suddenly what to give Chaos Theory another try but the intro movie (before the menu) takes sooooo long. I had to bear through the intro movie to play the multiplayer, which I had a short-lived love affair with, and it was enough that it stopped me playing the game at times.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By r0k1ll

I like pandora tomorrow the best, even though it had the worst ending of any video game ever. Nobody really hates Splinter Cell, it's just repetetive after 4 games. Hoping the next one will be a good reboot.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Chaos Theory was the best because of Co-op.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

I have a copy of Chaos Theory. I liked the game until I found out about Starforce protection. Then I found out my other games published by Ubisoft had it as well. Grrrrr, made me so made, I could just spit.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vigilance
    @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " People hate Splinter Cell? First I've heard. There was dislike towards Double Agent and then Conviction due to all the delays and changes, but that's about it. Lot of hype going for it now since it looks awesome. "
    Jeff *really* seems to hate stealth action games lol. One of the earliest hot spots he makes a game about the splinter cell series like "what is this the 70's?" 

So yeah, on the Hotspot and Bombcast, I'm used to Splinter Cell being the punchline to a joke about bad games lol. 
    mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrariscottle
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Did you purposely make a Katy Perry reference in your topic title? "
    That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title.. haa :)
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Cerza

I too loves me some Splinter Cell action. I remember getting the first one on the Xbox when it came out and being blown away. I've been a fan of the series ever since. Well, I'm not a fan of Double Agent and I think they should have made Conviction it's own series and called it the spiritual successor to Splinter Cell, but that's another story.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By torus

Since when do people hate Splinter Cell? Chaos Theory was superb. 

I suspect most of the people who 'hate' Splinter Cell actually just can't hack the difficulty.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

i've only played two splinter cell games, first one and double agent. i really liked double agent from what i have played. the game seemed more easier then the first one because the first one seemed kind of u have to play the game this way to beat it. which i didn't really like about the first game. when i rented doubt agent for 360 i was like wow this is great.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I really like chaos theory, too bad the game has shitty DRM I can't play it on vista. I might have to buy it on steam later on because it won't have that DRM and it would work. That game is way better than double agent.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Splinter Cell is pretty darn awesome, man. I wasn't crazy about the first one but could appreciate what it was trying to do. Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory are both excellent games, though. I can't wait to try out the new one next year.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By End_Boss

Double Agent's multiplayer was the bomb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.