Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Mar 23, 2005

The third outing for Sam Fisher finds him battling against terrorists who want to take control of the world using a simple algorithmic code.

Now Playing: SC Conviction

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By wfolse1

For me, playing playing SC Conviction is both very rewarding and fun, while also being slightly disappointing.  The game plays out like a predatory power fantasy and this theme actually works very well with the Splinter Cell fiction.  The disappointment does not come from the game itself, but rather from the implications of making a game like this. 

One such implication is that a more traditional Splinter Cell game being released in the future is not very likely.  Ubisoft probably felt like their first foray into the current generation of consoles (Double Agent) was poorly received due to the tried and true SC mechanics being inaccesible to most people, and maybe they are right.  However, i can't help but think that Double Agent suffered from diverging just enough from Chaos Theory just enough to harm the game.  Personally, I really couldn't stand the missions in the JBA headquarters and the entire trust system was frustrating and more than a little contrived.   

Conviction avoids making this mistake by completely overhauling the game, as opposed to just introducing a few new systems.  While I really like the new direction, I'd also love to see Chaos Theory get the follow-up it deserves.  Who knows, maybe there could be a SC side series with a new protagonist.  

Anyway, I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on this matter.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wfolse1

For me, playing playing SC Conviction is both very rewarding and fun, while also being slightly disappointing.  The game plays out like a predatory power fantasy and this theme actually works very well with the Splinter Cell fiction.  The disappointment does not come from the game itself, but rather from the implications of making a game like this. 

One such implication is that a more traditional Splinter Cell game being released in the future is not very likely.  Ubisoft probably felt like their first foray into the current generation of consoles (Double Agent) was poorly received due to the tried and true SC mechanics being inaccesible to most people, and maybe they are right.  However, i can't help but think that Double Agent suffered from diverging just enough from Chaos Theory just enough to harm the game.  Personally, I really couldn't stand the missions in the JBA headquarters and the entire trust system was frustrating and more than a little contrived.   

Conviction avoids making this mistake by completely overhauling the game, as opposed to just introducing a few new systems.  While I really like the new direction, I'd also love to see Chaos Theory get the follow-up it deserves.  Who knows, maybe there could be a SC side series with a new protagonist.  

Anyway, I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on this matter.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

As far as I can tell (and I've done some reading into the subject), this is the new direction for the series with no planned divergences, and frankly I'm glad for it. The Splinter Cell of yesterday was great, but I think we can all admit that the mechanics were getting extremely stale. I don't know about you, but I just don't want to memorize enemy patrol patterns anymore or restart the same section eighty-seven times because some extremely vocal guard ("I'm going to guard this area! I'm not coming out!") just happened to catch the glint of my goggles off of a puddle of mud. Now that's not to say that Conviction doesn't have its fair share of ugly stealth archetypes thrown in there; they're just not nearly as frequent as in past titles. 

You're right, though: anything to do with the JBA in Double Agent was terrible.

Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Noremakk

Very true; the original games emphasize knockouts and not being seen, Conviction emphasizes guns and "last point seen". Sounds like an idiot's version of Splinter Cell to me. 

Not that I didn't like the game, I really enjoyed it. It just wasn't Splinter Cell.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's not that double agent was like chaos theory, that's not entirely what made ppl hate the game. Chaos theory was made by ubisoft montreal which is very competent, unlike double agent or pandora tommrow who was made by ubisoft shanhai. I honestly hated all the inbetween missions at  your warehouse fortress place where you had to do lock picking and stuff like that. Also the levels weren't fun at all, it didn't always make sense on my first play through. Well that's my opinion, i'm sure most of us likes chaos theory alot more.  

Conviction was sort of like a batman arkham asylum, agressive stealth game. Honestly I think ppl are tired of the orginal concept and they want things to evolve or it's going to get stale. Like metal gear games, it's not more of an action steatlh game, rather than being seen means your dead, which leads to alot of trial and error.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DrPockets000

I felt that Conviction was a natural evolution for the series.  I may miss some of the mechanics from older Splinter Cell, but I look forward to what comes next with this leap.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

not being a SC fan myself, i didnt really care about Conviction dumbing down like that. I actually enjoyed it very much, and it helped make Chaos Theory accessible for me. I actually was ABLE to play Chaos Theory and know what the heck im doing after i played Conviction :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.