Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Anyone else Underwhelmed with Convictions graphics?

• 78 results
    J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By J0n3s1

It looked fine, I think. Character models were bit rough.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Getz

Thought it looked just fine. I wasn't blown away or anything, but the presentation was good enough that I was impressed nonetheless.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By MayorFeedback

Enjoyed the gameplay, and that is most important, but I was expecting it to look a little more polished than it did. Wasn't bad or anything, but I agree that character models could definitely use some more work.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By ravensword
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55  Edited By septim

I would call the graphics serviceable at best.

It's nowhere near Uncharted 2 or God of War III. It's even not quite as nice looking as Batman. Also the animation looks jerky, I don't mind it not being gorgeous if it nails a natural sense of animation, but this demo had neither.

Anyone who says graphics are not important is a moron. Games are evolving, presentation creates the sense of place and feeling of a game.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By Kyreo

They look fine to me.  Their nothing special, but they're not shit... so it's fine IMO.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#57  Edited By AgentJ
    @Jiujitsuka said:
    " I found the controls to be a bit weird at first. If there's one thing it's how easy it is, you can just bullrush and hand-to-hand kill them all. "
    Did you play on easy? I was killed nearly immediately whenever I was exposed. It forced me to actually use the stealth, which was very satisfying.
    @septim said:
    " I would call the graphics serviceable at best. It's nowhere near Uncharted 2 or God of War III. It's even not quite as nice looking as Batman. Also the animation looks jerky, I don't mind it not being gorgeous if it nails a natural sense of animation, but this demo had neither.   Anyone who says graphics are not important is a moron. Games are evolving, presentation creates the sense of place and feeling of a game. "

Games back on the SNES were able to create a sense of place and feeling. Black and white movies were able to create a sense of place and feeling. Even radio was able to create a sense of place and feeling back when they still did radio plays. Better processors certainly help make a game more immersion, but that can be done just as well in the hands of a skilled developer, even on weaker hardware. One could say throwing a bunch of polygons at the screen is just a cheap substitute for what a creative genius could have done with a better story and gameplay. It is nice to see Sonic the Hedgehog in HD after all this time, but I was much more immersed in the original games.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

looks fine to me, and mind you this is a demo, Gow 3 increased in visual fidelity between the demo and retail release.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By DoctorTran

I was just wondering what the hell young Mickey Rourke was doing in the game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#60  Edited By natetodamax

You care way to much about graphics. Unless the graphics are making the game unplayable, who gives a shit?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ravensword
    @AgentJ:

Graphics do matter though to a point. I really think a fool would say that Graphics have no meaning or dosent mean anything. Better Graphics give you better imersion and better Cinematic feel. If graphics didnt amtter, than what would be the point of new consoles? We would all still be playing games on NES or Atari. So Graphics do matter. IF a game looks liek shit, your going to be put off on palying it.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lambert

When did everyone turn into graphics whores? You were fine when games were 8 bit, 16 bit, etc...

Probably a bunch of teenagers who only care about flash rather than substance.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DrPockets000

I thought it looked great.  I didn't have any aliasing problems or tearing.  Motion capture is beautiful.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bionicicide

Weird... I think it's one of this generation's best graphical highlights (except in gray-scale and the inconsistent lip-syncing). Didn't see screen-tearing on my end. I love the effect when you flashbang yourself and animations are smooth (weapon change animation could be better).

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mesklinite

No problem on my samsung 42" with HDMI
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Three0neFive said:
    " I wonder why they didn't release a PC demo - it's like they want their game to be pirated. :/ "
    exactly. 
    every PC game should have a demo, or even a free benchmark if it doesn't want to get pirated. 

it's like, "i'll pirate it JUST to see if it runs fine...oh it DOES run fine, maybe i should buy the game now.  well, i'm short on cash and i already have the game open right now...."
    Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Moeez

Why should the game look as good as Uncharted or God of War? Those games are made to be technical showpieces, and aren't exactly stellar in the gameplay department. Splinter Cell franchise has thrived on the gameplay, so it doesn't need to have the best graphics. Other games are made for doing that. 

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    I can't believe you just compared it with PS3 exclusives?  It is like comparing DS to PSP.  Some things are only possible on certain systems, compare SC to other Xbox 360 titles. 

@Raven_Sword said:

" @AgentJ: Graphics do matter though to a point. I really think a fool would say that Graphics have no meaning or dosent mean anything. Better Graphics give you better imersion and better Cinematic feel. If graphics didnt amtter, than what would be the point of new consoles? We would all still be playing games on NES or Atari. So Graphics do matter. IF a game looks liek shit, your going to be put off on palying it. "

I have the same argument with people all the time over games.  You are 100% correct.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheGremp

I personally thought the visuals were great.  The lighting really made it for me, especially in the opening scene.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Other than the lip-synching it looked fine.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By chrissedoff
    @captain_clayman said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " I wonder why they didn't release a PC demo - it's like they want their game to be pirated. :/ "
    exactly. every PC game should have a demo, or even a free benchmark if it doesn't want to get pirated.  it's like, "i'll pirate it JUST to see if it runs fine...oh it DOES run fine, maybe i should buy the game now.  well, i'm short on cash and i already have the game open right now...." "
    the best way to avoid piracy is to not put your game out for pc. pc gamers have turned into such entitled little cretins, haven't they? you would think they'd be thanking their lucky stars that pc versions even come out at all, at this point.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Three0neFive
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    exactly. every PC game should have a demo, or even a free benchmark if it doesn't want to get pirated.  it's like, "i'll pirate it JUST to see if it runs fine...oh it DOES run fine, maybe i should buy the game now.  well, i'm short on cash and i already have the game open right now...." "
    the best way to avoid piracy is to not put your game out for pc. pc gamers have turned into such entitled little cretins, haven't they? you would think they'd be thanking their lucky stars that pc versions even come out at all, at this point. "
    Oh, just like all console players are 14 year-old internet tough guys who love calling people niggers, comparing penis sizes and talking about your mother?

Seriously, grow the fuck up. :/
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By chrissedoff

a lot of hay is made about how ps3 exclusives often look better than cross-platform games, but take a close look at the textures in a game like killzone 2, cause a lot of them are pretty gnarly. i agree that ps3 exclusives tend to look better, but rather than a gulf in graphical capability between the 360 and ps3 i think it's due to those games being very aggressively designed to look very impressive, and the fact that they are given the money and time necessary to make their games look that way.

but anyway, yes there are many games that look better than conviction, but it looks pretty good, takes some interesting risks in its visual style, and it runs smoothly. it's far from blowing my mind, but it's freaking splinter cell, and it's awesome.
    save your money for alan wake if you want about sexy graphics.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By Dogma

I got this wierd feeling that the game looked grainy when I stated to play. On all the direct feed footage it has looked awesome but when I played the demo (yes, on a HDTV) it looked very grainy. I also had problems with the two characters that was talking, it looked dated. It felt like it was a difference between the toilet scene in footage and what we got in the demo. It looked a tad more rough around the edges. I will say that when I saw the game from a further distance things looked a bit more crisp and sharp but still... yeah... something didn't compute. Right before I played Blur with the same distance from the TV and that one looks much more crisp. I'm not talking about the overall graphics, models and stuff but how everything looked grainy, and not in a cool filter kind of way. 

So yeah... I kinda see what Raven_Sword is talking about because that was the first thing I thought about. The game looks promising in all other aspects though.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Three0neFive said:

" @chrissedoff said:

" @captain_clayman said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    the best way to avoid piracy is to not put your game out for pc. pc gamers have turned into such entitled little cretins, haven't they? you would think they'd be thanking their lucky stars that pc versions even come out at all, at this point. "
    Oh, just like all console players are 14 year-old internet tough guys who love calling people niggers, comparing penis sizes and talking about your mother?  Seriously, grow the fuck up. :/ "
    it takes some balls to post that with no irony. is that really germane to the discussion at all?
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76  Edited By captain_clayman
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    but then the ACTUAL customers (such as myself) who don't pirate games get screwed over.  you seem to think the same way a lot of companies are thinking, how everyone is a pirate.  people actually buy games on PC sometimes, you know.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I've only seen the Gamespot ads so far but it looks awful for a game from this generation. It looked blocky as hell, maybe it was just the Ad and it being on SD TV, but it gave me some serious pause about the game. I think it's probably got to do with them starting over and over and scrapping the Sam Fisher model at least 2 or 3 times.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By chrissedoff
    @captain_clayman said:
    " @chrissedoff said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    but then the ACTUAL customers (such as myself) who don't pirate games get screwed over.  you seem to think the same way a lot of companies are thinking, how everyone is a pirate.  people actually buy games on PC sometimes, you know. "
    i know. i play pc games myself. but i won't lie, i have pirated games in the past, and struggle sometimes to resist that temptation even now. it's just so damn easy to do. but looking at it objectively, i don't know what's in it for ubisoft to release single player focused games like splinter cell conviction on the pc, quite honestly, because it seems to me that only games focused on online multiplayer succeed on the pc.
    and then when they do put out a game on pc, they understandably want to be paid for it, and they don't have a lot of tools at their disposal to ensure that happens, other than invasive drm. the userbase gets angry, the drm gets circumvented, and the majority of players end up pirating the game, and the game publisher has nothing to show for it but a black mark on their reputation. so i don't know why exactly pc gamers have the expectation that they should be catered to, and get so riled up when they are not.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#79  Edited By Meowayne

The tearing bothered me more than the sub-HD resolution, but yeah. For a game that is partly advertised with its graphics and that is generally a very visual game, its not too hot. Didn't keep me from enjoying the demo, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.