Does the black and white vision bother you?

#1 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

I would change it, if I could.

When it first premiered I was praising its innovation, but after the 1st delay I realized it just means no iconic green night vision mode (just a legal wall hack called sonar tech that belongs in the next Batman game) and they could of conveyed this on-screen stealth mechanic with heavy shaded corners so they kept the hues of the environment that look way better in color and then just make enemies/interactive objects shine like weapons do in most shooters, you know that look... but they can turn that off in higher difficulties.

#2 Posted by FirePrince (1762 posts) -

Nope.

#3 Posted by jkz (3956 posts) -

Nope

#4 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

in the old splinter cell games you use night vision so you can see while you're lurking in the dark. seems very close to being the exact same thing to me!

#5 Posted by Heavystormdk (51 posts) -

Narh, like the new style. Like it better than the green colors in the old games...

#6 Posted by Peacemaker (1099 posts) -

Some people seem to really seem to hate it.  I can't say it bothers me that much.  As long as they balance it out so that 80% isn't B&W I don't think I'll mind.  

#7 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I don't think I actually care either way. It serves essentially the same purpose. The game looks incredible and that's all that really matters to me I guess.

#8 Posted by Nightshade1765 (12 posts) -

Being a stealth player, I'm more bothered by the fact that if I can't turn it off, I'm penalized for staying in the shadows by having to play 80% of the game "colorblind."  It's a good looking game, and I'd love to take it all in.  But I don't get much of an option to do so.

#9 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

I'm thinking of playing it as an action game because of it.

@Heavystormdk said:

" Narh, like the new style. Like it better than the green colors in the old games... "

I don't think you would of needed to use night vision in the dark anyways, but it is iconic and they could of used them so the player could traverse against infrared trip-wires. That's my thought process.
#10 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I think splinter cell conviction looks very annoying like that.

#11 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

They have always been changing the mechanic that tells you when you are "invisible" I like the noir style shown in this game.

#12 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Less hud elements = more immersiveness. More devs need to learn that before they put a bunch of stupid junk on the screen.

#13 Posted by Raven_Sword (3388 posts) -

Not really.
#14 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

i like the grey scale. id rather have that than a meter on the hud.

#15 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

This sucks, I played the demo 4 times and still can't get used to the gray-scale (got used to the controls). 

@Lambert

said:

" Less hud elements = more immersiveness. More devs need to learn that before they put a bunch of stupid junk on the screen. "

@Ryax said:

" i like the grey scale. id rather have that than a meter on the hud. "

Heavy shaded corners > gray-scale  

** And then the shaded corners can lower their opacity as a warning when close to leaving the shadows since the gray-scale suffers from, "Am I still going to be cloaked if I move over there?" because there's spots where you don't know where the shadow ends in the demo. **
#16 Posted by AwesomeRory (97 posts) -

Black and White is kinda dumb, there could have been a better solution there rather than lazily turning into Left 4 dead where you gotta be healed or else you die

#17 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -
@Nightshade1765: I'm penalized by having to play 100% of every game colorblind, though not to the point of seeing in monochrome. 

Seriously though, the black and white doesn 't really bother me.
#18 Posted by ztiworoh (728 posts) -

I don't mind the black-and-white when you're  in cover, but the sonar vision mode was actually really disorienting. Granted, I thought the Arkham Asylum detective vision was a little bit of a cheat, not being able to clearly see walls and structures in sonar mode made it difficult to use. 

#19 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

I don't mind how it goes black and white when you're in the shadows (I like that better than a meter personally) but I do much prefer night vision goggles to sonar.  Oh well, still gonna be awesome.

#20 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -
@Lambert said:
" Less hud elements = more immersiveness. More devs need to learn that before they put a bunch of stupid junk on the screen. "
This.  I liked it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.