First review is extremely positive!

#1 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

IGN gave the game a 9.3 and said that it's an awesome game.  

I myself felt from the demo that the game was amazing but I was just kind of waiting for this review to back my own thoughts up. And I know I wasn't alone out there in waiting for the reviews... but the first one is looking really positive! 

Here's the review if you're interested  http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082854p1.html 

What are your thoughts? Do you feel more confident about getting the game now that it's gotten such a high score, or will you wait for some more to come in?

#2 Posted by Ninja (523 posts) -

I still don't know if I will get it, the story seems paper thin as far as i've seen. I like alot of intrique and twists in my spy games but i'm old fashioned like that.

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7719 posts) -

I'd like to play this, but not buy it.  Stupid Best Buy adding in 500 bonus points for getting this.

#4 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -
@Ninja: Apparently the story is akin to 24, says the IGN review. Although I have no idea what that means because I have never seen 24. I have never found that Splinter Cell's story is it's main draw anyway, it's all about the sweet gameplay.
#5 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

It got an 8/10 from some magazine called EDGE. Better hold on to your money until we get a larger sample. Also for those who play singleplayer only this doesn't seem like a good deal. The majority of the content is coop.

#6 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Awesome.  I have it pre-ordered, makes me feel more confident that I did the right thing.  The main attraction for me is the split-screen portion (Though I still very much am excited for the campaign).  My brother and I had a blast with the split-screen in Chaos Theory, and this looks to be that but much more expanded upon.  Can't wait!

#7 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -
@Dark_Jon: Aren't EDGE extremely picky though? I mean by today's standards, like actually using the 10-point scale system correctly. They're one of the ones that gave Bayonetta a 10 right?  I think an 8 from them is very good, looking at their track record.
#8 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

Wow i'm surprised.. I thought it would get something like 7.9 or litle over 8. Good for Splinter Cell.

#9 Posted by Iireku (147 posts) -

I was already psyched about this game and IGN had to go and tease me about all the fun I have to wait for.  Monday night can't come soon enough.

#10 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

I couldn't care less about the story. This game is about amazing little playgrounds. I played the demo and I didn't like the interrogations and the cutscene is horrible, but the gameplay was so satisfying that I've played the damn thing a couple hundred times -- and I rarely ever replay demos. 

If the game is anywhere close to the demo, then this is a real game. If it was a movie I wouldn't even bother with it. As a book, I'd care even less. But anyone that passes on a game this good just because the story is lame or the acting is bad is pretty stupid. The plot is just an excuse to put you into an amazing situation. This game is as much like an old puzzle game like Lolo or sokoban where there isn't even a plot needed, just level after well-designed level.

#11 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2719 posts) -
@Ninja: Have you ever played a Splinter Cell game before? All of em have crappy stories
#12 Posted by Yummylee (21464 posts) -

Bleh. I care little for IGN's opinion, I mean their Deadly Premonition score just destroys all credibility!...;P 

I'm not too fussed with the splinter cell franchise anywhoo, never even having played any of them.
#13 Posted by Dustpan (1692 posts) -
@xyzygy:  If you have seen The Bourne Ultimatum. It's like that.
#14 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Ninja: Apparently the story is akin to 24, says the IGN review. Although I have no idea what that means because I have never seen 24. I have never found that Splinter Cell's story is it's main draw anyway, it's all about the sweet gameplay. "
I don't care about a thin story as long as it is told interactively. From what I gather, Conviction tries to use as little cutscenes as possible, integrating mission objectives and story-only scenes (such as the interrogation at the beginning) into the actual gameplay.

That is what matters in videogames.

#15 Edited by Ninja (523 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:

" @Ninja: Have you ever played a Splinter Cell game before? All of em have crappy stories "

Yeah I know but that's why I never really got into them. I don't care about crappy stories aslong as they entertain. Gears of war is a pime example of a garbage story that entertains. Well it entertains me at least.

@Meowayne said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Ninja: Apparently the story is akin to 24, says the IGN review. Although I have no idea what that means because I have never seen 24. I have never found that Splinter Cell's story is it's main draw anyway, it's all about the sweet gameplay. "
I don't care about a thin story as long as it is told interactively. From what I gather, Conviction tries to use as little cutscenes as possible, integrating mission objectives and story-only scenes (such as the interrogation at the beginning) into the actual gameplay.  That is what matters in videogames. "

Well it's what matters to you in video games. We all have different likes and dislikes. The interactivity of it does look enjoyable but I don't know if the game is my cup of tea. It looks like it deserves a score that high though I'm just not sure if it's a game I will buy now myself or wait until it's a bit cheaper.
#16 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

I will probably wait until this game gets a bit cheaper, or wait until a friend is buying it so we can go through co-op together. Until then, I have Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption and Resonance of Fate to get so it's not like this is a bad thing either. A great game to look forward to after all those!

#17 Posted by durden77 (303 posts) -

I want this game so damn bad, and this review just makes me want it more. Stupid Tuesday... having to be 3 days from Saturday...

#18 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I was going to post that yesterday, no one even realised that game was reviewed. Must be all the quest stuff. I think it's good that it brought action to the table if you get caught, it's not over. Gameplay wise I think the game improved, however a 5 hour game? They can't be serious, since i'm going to get it on the pc, with DRM and I don't play online very often.

#19 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

How does the game not get higher then a 9.0 on any of their categories but get a 9.3. I'm sure it will be a great game but their review system but is their review system faulty if  each category does not average to the overall score, or it is higher then the overall score?

#20 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -
@Dark_Jon said:
" It got an 8/10 from some magazine called EDGE. Better hold on to your money until we get a larger sample. Also for those who play singleplayer only this doesn't seem like a good deal. The majority of the content is coop. "
An 8 from EDGE is pretty damn good.
#21 Posted by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -
@Dany said:
" How does the game not get higher then a 9.0 on any of their categories but get a 9.3. I'm sure it will be a great game but their review system but is their review system faulty if  each category does not average to the overall score, or it is higher then the overall score? "
If I had to guess I'd say the 5 categories are actually technical merit while the final overall score includes that along with the reviewer's personal enjoyment and feeling about the game. Kind of like how Gamespot used to break it down into 5 categories which included a "Tilt" rating, a rating determined by the reviewers actual enjoyment of it.
#22 Posted by Talesavo (131 posts) -

-Mark and Execute is nice
-The black and white shenanigans with the shadowing is a stupid gameplay mechanic 
-Checkpoints are way too far apart
-Graphics are competent but some of the models are horrible
-Story is garbage
-They really need to get rid of Ironside, he no longer fits the character at all.

Those are my first impressions after almost 2hours. We'll see if it remains compelling, but for now, it'll be a quick runthrough and wont bother with the MP.

#23 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -
@Talesavo: Please get back to us, I'm really on the fence if this is worth buying. Is the game even challenging? During the demo you could just run and gun on the hardest difficulty. Is the AI still retarded? These are things I would like to know.
#24 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -
@CraigAA said:
" @Dany said:
" How does the game not get higher then a 9.0 on any of their categories but get a 9.3. I'm sure it will be a great game but their review system but is their review system faulty if  each category does not average to the overall score, or it is higher then the overall score? "
If I had to guess I'd say the 5 categories are actually technical merit while the final overall score includes that along with the reviewer's personal enjoyment and feeling about the game. Kind of like how Gamespot used to break it down into 5 categories which included a "Tilt" rating, a rating determined by the reviewers actual enjoyment of it. "
Yeah you're right. Right by the score it says that it's not an average, just an overall score they felt it deserved.
#25 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

Never have been able to get excited about a Splinter Cell game...I don't know what it is about them...just not for me

#26 Posted by jkz (4007 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @Dark_Jon said:
" It got an 8/10 from some magazine called EDGE. Better hold on to your money until we get a larger sample. Also for those who play singleplayer only this doesn't seem like a good deal. The majority of the content is coop. "
An 8 from EDGE is pretty damn good. "
Yeah, EDGE is a European Magazine (and also one of my favorite existing mags). European publications tend to score differently for a bevy of different reasons, the most basic of which is simply how the concept of grading something works there. In the US a 7 is considered average, be it for a music/game/movie review, or for grade in class (alright, a 70 may be a bit below average). In Europe, a 5 is average, and scores of 7-8 (or grades of 70-80) are much more difficult to attain. 

Wow, that was a long-winded and absolutely useless explanation; the long and short of it is: 

"An 8 from EDGE is pretty damn good."
#27 Posted by Talesavo (131 posts) -
@Dark_Jon said:
" @Talesavo: Please get back to us, I'm really on the fence if this is worth buying. Is the game even challenging? During the demo you could just run and gun on the hardest difficulty. Is the AI still retarded? These are things I would like to know. "
I haven't had time to get deeper into the game(stupid work), i'll try to crack some of the game out tonight. Only thing is that I'm playing on Normal and so far i've died a few times, usually because i tried to be all sneaky sneaky, then I realized it was easier to just shit on people, gather some M&E's and just finish off any groups with it.
#28 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

I have actually played this game (20 mins or so) at a norwegian awardshow for games called "Gullstikka". And it looks to rather cool, actually!

#29 Posted by Tebbit (4456 posts) -
@Talesavo said:
" @Dark_Jon said:
" @Talesavo: Please get back to us, I'm really on the fence if this is worth buying. Is the game even challenging? During the demo you could just run and gun on the hardest difficulty. Is the AI still retarded? These are things I would like to know. "
...then I realized it was easier to just shit on people...
Art imitating life.
#30 Edited by Spacetrucking (942 posts) -

I didn't know people cared that much about the narrative in the Splinter Cell series. I like the basic plot of the series too (typically good Clancy stuff) but they were always very light on the story. It almost felt like a counter argument to the MGS series with minimal cutscenes and great sandbox gameplay. And I'm glad to hear they got the open ended aspect right again. That's what I care about the most.

Plus, Michael Ironside might sound drunk but he is still awesome as Sam Fisher. To me, his voice is as iconic as David Hayter/Snake's gravelly undertone.

#31 Posted by Meltac (2000 posts) -

THEY HAVE BEEN PAID BY UBISOFT THOSE BASTARDS!

#32 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

The first review is always extremely positive.

#33 Posted by jkz (4007 posts) -
@Killjoi said:
" I didn't know people cared that much about the narrative in the Splinter Cell series. I like the basic plot of the series too (typically good Clancy stuff) but they were always very light on the story. It almost felt like a counter argument to the MGS series with minimal cutscenes and great sandbox gameplay. And I'm glad to hear they got the open ended aspect right again. That's what I care about the most. Plus, Michael Ironside might sound drunk but he is still awesome as Sam Fisher. To me, his voice is as iconic as David Hayter/Snake's gravelly undertone. "
I don't know, I feel like he pulls off "man-drowning-in-guilt-depression-and-anger" as well as he does "coldly-humourous-ace-assassin." That is to say, I couldn't see anyone voicing Sam Fisher other than him, and I still think he's oustanding. 

And yes, I really do care about the narrative in SC games. It may not be a plot like MGS where every single cut-scene is a revelation that forces you to re-think everything you knew about the plot, but the Splinter Cell series has always been outstanding at developing characters that you care about; that's part of the reason I really enjoyed Double Agent: it's one of the few games where I actually had to think through decisions based solely on my like of the characters.
#34 Posted by snoopdye (87 posts) -

I loved the demo so I'm for sure getting it day one. But I think that if anyone is apprehensive about getting it, even after playing the demo, then don't. Borrow it from a friend, rent it or even wait a few months for a sale or a price drop. Even I have my doubts for certain things about this game and reading reviews won't keep me from getting it but I definitely now am aware that this game isn't perfect and the reviews keep me in check to not expect the greatest game of all time-but a good game nonetheless.

#35 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I just disappointed that the single player is only 5 hours O_o  I think I won't be buying it day one... Man, I hope the new PoP doesn't have a short SP too X_X

#36 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

The worst thing about the game is a five hour single player.

#37 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

Short single player campaigns are my biggest complaints about the Tom Clancy stuff. I never played Rainbow Six online when I rented it and never bothered playing GRAW because of it. I'm really interested in this game and really liked the demo, but I'm still really hesitant to buy because I don't generally like multiplayer and can't easily get people to play co-op with me.

#38 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

A 9.3? Seriously?

Any reviewer worth their salt knows this is obviously a 9.1.

#39 Posted by Talesavo (131 posts) -

Ok, after playing it some more, I'm putting down this game for the time being. I can't say I loved past SC games, but the plot is so obtuse my brain starts to hurt and holy god Ironside can't deliver a line. :(
The gameplay isn't enough to keep me playing, if you're a huge SC fan, this wont change your opinion, but from a personal standpoint - I'd rather play some more Forza at this point. =/
I'll beat it eventually, but in small 15-20 minute spurts.

#40 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

well no shit sherlock

#41 Edited by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@Dany said:

It says it isn't an average. And that is how it should be-some games will be great in presentation, sound, story, and gameplay, but there are some things with games that you can't explain with words.
#42 Posted by Talesavo (131 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" well no shit sherlock "
No ones trying to convince you otherwise, retard.
#43 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

The game is really fun. 
Then again,the story mode is 5 hours long.It's a blast though.

#44 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (642 posts) -

As long as the game is great I don't care about how long the game is.  Call Of Duty 4 was about 5 hours and I've beaten that at least 7 times including veteran difficulty. Another awesome thing is that most of the Co-op including infiltration can be played Solo.  If they are saying that the story is akin to 24 then I'm excited to know more about the story.... I love that show.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.