Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

How is it?

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DoctorOptimist

Ever since I first saw gameplay footage for it, I was disappointed with the new direction the series was taking. It seems they wanted to create a shooter with light stealth elements, while I'm all for change, this is not the way to go. I lost interest for the game and haven't played it, well not yet at least. It's been receiving good reviews, not as much critical acclaim as the first three though. It received mixed reaction from the gaming audience; it brought some people in with it's changes and some out. So now it's considered to be a "love it or hate it" game.

Still, I'm thinking about trying it at least. What do you say? Should I rent it or buy it?

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Alphazero

I thought it was really fun. When the stealth goes bad the shooting is fun, but I really enjoy the sneaking around. The penalty for messing up isn't as harsh as, say, Metal Gear Solid 4. 

Single player is very short, but pretty tight. The co-op and competitive modes are okay, but not really my bag. Worth playing for sure.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Onno10
    f you were really into the extreme challenge that went in the first games I'd skip this game. The game does so much for you you'll be disappointed.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

If you want a slightly clumsy third-person shooter it's ok.  If you want a Splinter Cell game you're out of luck.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Griddler

If those are the only options then definitely rent it. It's very short. I was pretty disappointed with it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

It has a lot of headshots and a lot of Sam Fisher asking where his family is in a drunken tone.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

It's pretty awesome, a breath of fresh air from the same old Splinter Cell formula. People may say that it's is basically a shooting game but in truth the stealth is a lot harder to pull off and thus more rewarding.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

God the fuck awful.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By plop1920

I was also extremely dissapointed when I saw the direction ubisoft was taking the game, but I decided to give it a try anyway. To my surprise it was a pretty good game, but it still could not come even close to pandora tomorrow or chaos theory for me :/ 

If your a fan of the series I'd say rent it, it was pretty short if I remember, but its still worth checking out
    azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By azhang

Sam Fisher in Conviction reminds me of Brett Favre because he has to come out of retirement and kick ass. However, at the same time he reminds me of Harrison Ford because some movies of his; he goes around asking where is my family?

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HellBrendy

I really love it! The story isn't reall "all that", but it's told in a great way, and the gameplay mechanics are nothing but great- especially the mark and execute-move, wich is hilarious in it's overpoweredness yet greatness. 

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @plop1920 said:
    " I was also extremely dissapointed when I saw the direction ubisoft was taking the game, but I decided to give it a try anyway. To my surprise it was a pretty good game, but it still could not come even close to pandora tomorrow or chaos theory for me :/  If your a fan of the series I'd say rent it, it was pretty short if I remember, but its still worth checking out "
    I thought Pandora Tomorrow had the weakest single-player of the entire series. While the original had plenty of moments of trial-and-error, it tried to guide the player to solve new challenges by adapting to them. So when you're spotted or screw up, it was often your fault. Pandora Tomorrow was just all over the place. Most of the time, the game had scripted challenges without any hints or strategy, there's always just one path you need to take. One slip up, and you'r f***ed. Double Agent had some of the same problems as well, which was also one of my least favorite games of the series. 

Both of them weren't made by UbiSoft Montreal, they were made by UbiSoft Shanghai instead. To me, they create the worst games in the series. I doubt I will be underwhelmed by Conviction as I was with Pandora Tomorrow or Double Agent. 
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By spankingaddict

It's pretty freakin good, IMO. I would say rent it, to be safe.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

It's ok, rental for sure.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By plop1920

Double agent is the worst is the series, that I can agree with but I dont remember having any fustrating issues with the ai / level design in pandora tomorrow. Then again its been a long time since ive played it so I might just be remembering it for how awesome the multiplayer was at the time. 

And yeah convinction is easily better than double agent, its a really great game. I would have liked Chaos theory 2.0 but ;/

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rockanomics
    @Jimbo said:
    " If you want a slightly clumsy third-person shooter it's ok.  If you want a Splinter Cell game you're out of luck. "
    Having played Chaos Theory for the first time somewhat recently, "a Splinter Cell game" just reads as "an excessively clumsy game" to me.
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @Rockanomics said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " If you want a slightly clumsy third-person shooter it's ok.  If you want a Splinter Cell game you're out of luck. "
    Having played Chaos Theory for the first time somewhat recently, "a Splinter Cell game" just reads as "an excessively clumsy game" to me. "
    How it God's name did you find Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory clumsy?
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @plop1920 said:
    "

Double agent is the worst is the series, that I can agree with but I dont remember having any fustrating issues with the ai / level design in pandora tomorrow. Then again its been a long time since ive played it so I might just be remembering it for how awesome the multiplayer was at the time. 

And yeah convinction is easily better than double agent, its a really great game. I would have liked Chaos theory 2.0 but ;/

"
    Play Pandora Tomorrow again, and you'll play against A.I. that could hear a mouse fart from a mile away. They're that bad. It seemed UbiSoft Shanghai didn't try to fix the issues with the first game's A.I. They just made them better, not smarter. If it weren't for Spies vs. Mercenaries, I wouldn't even touch Pandora Tomorrow. 
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By septim

Dated graphics, clunky mechanics, lousy story, and shitty voicework.

My only major disappointment this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.