I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned during the GOTY discussions

#1 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

I'm not exactly the biggest Splinter Cell fan, in fact I hated all the other Splinter Cell games but from what I can remember everybody loved Conviction.  

So what happened? Did everybody forget about this? It's like my Batman: AA for 2010, I'm just a bit surprised that it got to no attention during the deliberations this year.

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It's not that good. Especially not if you're a fan of the Splinter Cell franchise. It was a decent game on it's own, but it wasn't Splinter Cell and it didn't deserve to play with the big shots this year.

#3 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

It was mentioned during the best co-op discussion.

#4 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose:  

I must have missed that, thanks!
#5 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Everybody loved Conviction before it came out. I was a fan of the previous style, so I hated the game. The first Splinter Cell game I played was Chaos Theory, and I thought it was amazing. If they can recreate some of that magic, I'd be back on board with Splinter Cell.

#6 Posted by project343 (2825 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: It was also mentioned somewhere else, I believe. Obviously it didn't make a nomination, but I believe it was either mentioned during best ending.
#7 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

I'm not surprised.

I remember that Jeff liked it fine, but also thought it was too easy because of headshots ruining games. Ryan liked the co-op, and Jeff actively disliked it. Vinny and Brad, far as i know, didn't play it, or at least didn't talk about it. The game just didn't stick with any of them, i guess.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

Game sucked ass is what happened.

#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

It was briefly mentioned during the most improved franchise discussion too, but they quickly decided that it didn't really fit the bill since the old splinter cell games weren't bad.

#10 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

It was mentioned during best story then we got a great drunk ironside impression.

#11 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@Berezov said:
" I'm not exactly the biggest Splinter Cell fan, in fact I hated all the other Splinter Cell games but from what I can remember everybody loved Conviction. 
Wh... what?

I don't really remember anyone saying good things about conviction. The stealth was too easy and repetitive and Jeff made a fair point about the headshot thing.
#12 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

Conviction was a pretty mediocre game from what I remember.  It was a particularly awful PC port, though the GB Staff wouldn't notice that.

#13 Edited by NTM (7379 posts) -

I'm not surprised, but not because of my personal opinion about the game. I love this game, it's one of those games I go back to now and then. I think diehard fans of the originals have a stick up there ass and probably didn't spend enough time with it to really understand how great the game is. I love the originals, and was slightly disappointed by Conviction at first, but quickly found out that I probably wouldn't ever want to go back to how the originals played because this was finely streamlined into one of the best cover based shooters with stealth game play that's not that far off from what you see in a game like Arkham Asylum/City, better in some respects. Sorry for bringing the topic back, but there's new news on the sequel.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Obsidian said:

Conviction was a pretty mediocre game from what I remember. It was a particularly awful PC port, though the GB Staff wouldn't notice that.

Why? Seems great to me, solid 60 FPS on my somewhat modest graphics card and looks fantastic. The DRM is the only issue I take with it.

As for the game then I enjoyed it, didn't like the mark and execute thing because it made it far too easy, also sucked that the game is like 4 hours long.

#15 Posted by jeffb01 (26 posts) -

It's one of my favorites. Reminded me a lot of Manhunt - which I love.

#16 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I never got heavily invested in any previous splinter cell but i really loved conviction....for the first half -3/4ths of the game. The last half/quarter just abandons all the mechanics that you grow to use so well and turns into this ridiculous clusterfuck of a shooter fest when the controls and concept don't really support that type of gameplay that the game pretty much forces on you going into the endgame. Really sucks.

Co-op and deniable ops was fantastic though.

#17 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Game sucked ass is what happened.

but he said he likes it.... you saying he has poor taste in games. what gives

#18 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

Because it's a poor title. Out of spite, and to prove a point, I RUSHED through some of the last areas in the game with relative ease by spamming EMP and normal grenades and being as non-stealthy as possible. It was a poor game with a poor story, poor dialogue, and poor gameplay.

#19 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

I thought it was pretty good. A little more shooty than previous Splinter Cell titles, but the entire series has been moving that way for a while now. Graphics were good, controls were good, level design was good. The story was decent, and way better than COD, Medal of Honor, or the other modern military stuff.

@Binman88 said:

Because it's a poor title. Out of spite, and to prove a point, I RUSHED through some of the last areas in the game with relative ease by spamming EMP and normal grenades and being as non-stealthy as possible. It was a poor game with a poor story, poor dialogue, and poor gameplay.

No way you could run through the later levels with just EMPs except on easy difficulty. On hard or realistic difficulty, the game is quite a challenge that requires planning for encounters, use of gadgets and good reflexes.

#20 Posted by supercubedude (455 posts) -

Conviction is one of those games that gets a 4 out of 5 and is never mentioned again.

#21 Posted by MegaLombax (391 posts) -

I had mixed feelings about Conviction. I'm a big fan of the Splinter Cell series. But they changed a lot of things in Conviction. It wasnt the same espionage game I've been expecting, which is a big disappointment really. Not that its a bad game though, just different.

#22 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

It was mediocre for me. I loved chaos theory and the first game, never played Pandora Tomorrow. I thought the speed and fluidity was quite cool, but I didn't like the mark and execute trick much. Hopefully Blacklist will be more stealth based.

#23 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Conviction isn't that special. Chaos Theory forever

#24 Posted by Lukeweizer (2683 posts) -

It was boring.

#25 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Because gamers dont appreciate a game for what it is, but for what they expect it to have been. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.