Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Is Splinter Cell: Conviction a reboot of the franchise?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

With all the changes that they made to Splinter Cell: Conviction, and a younger (in my opinion) looking Sam, I was already kind of wondering if this was perhaps a reboot of the franchise rather than an actual sequel. However, when they revealed that Sam's mission was one of revenge for his daughter's death, I thought that it might actually be a direct follow-up to Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Those of you who played it might remember that his daughter was killed in an accident at the beginning of that game. An event which, to me, felt like there was more to it than just a simple accident. 

But this latest trailer has thrown my theory completely out of the window. You see, in the last trailer his daughter is clearly a adolescent girl, I'd estimate her no older than 8 or 10. However, in one of the previous Splinter Cell games (I believe Pandora Tomorrow), Sam is shown fishing with his daughter during the opening cut scene, in which she is clearly a teenager. So realistically by the time SC:DA got released, she would've at least been a young adult.  

So now I'm once again wondering if this is a reboot of the franchise rather than a regular sequel. I'm not saying that I would mind a reboot, but I don't recall Ubisoft ever making such a statement. 

What do you think? Is this a sequel, or a reboot?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Now that you mention that I don't know what to think... it's looking like it might be a reboot. Which I'm totally fine with too. Either way the game is looking amazing.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kazona
    @Jeust:
    Wait, are you serious? Dude sure has no luck in his marriages if that's the case.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael
    @Kazona said:
    "You see, in the last trailer his daughter is clearly a adolescent girl, I'd estimate her no older than 8 or 10. However, in one of the previous Splinter Cell games (I believe Pandora Tomorrow), Sam is shown fishing with his daughter during the opening cut scene, in which she is clearly a teenager. So realistically by the time SC:DA got released, she would've at least been a young adult."
    That was just a flashback. His daughter isn't even alive at the beginning of Conviction; she died at the beginning of the last game, Double Agent. 

So no, it's not a reboot.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

He doesn't look younger. He has grey hair, for crying out loud.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kazona
    @PureRok:  
    I know he has grey hair. But when I compare it to SC:DA, he definitely looks younger to me. But that might just be my imagination. 

@Icemael:
    Yes I know it's a flashback. But the trailer suggests she dies when those dudes invade the house, which means she got killed as an adolescent, something that's contrary to SC:DA.  

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @Kazona: It doesn't, though. Her scream was probably a reaction to the gunshots; she's just a little girl, and for all she knew, her father was the one getting shot. 

Or maybe one of those guys snuck in through her window and took  her as hostage. Either way, her screaming doesn't necessarily mean she's being killed. If you ask me, the flashback was probably Sam remembering how much danger he had put his daughter into because of his job, and that he should've figured a long time ago that he wouldn't be able to protect her from his enemies forever. 

Besides, they've already established that Conviction is about Sam trying to find the guy who hired the 'drunk driver' assassin. The dudes in that house were neither drunk nor drivers.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kazona
    @Icemael: That would make sense. I like that explanation.
    Garden_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Garden_Ninja
    @Kazona said:
    @Icemael: Yes I know it's a flashback. But the trailer suggests she dies when those dudes invade the house, which means she got killed as an adolescent, something that's contrary to SC:DA.     "
    It's already been explained by other people, but I thought clarifying the timeline would help.  The games take place pretty close to each other. (Dates from Wikipedia, since we don't seem to have it lists on the game pages here)
    1. Splinter Cell takes place in the Fall of 2004
    2. SC: Pandora Tomorrow takes place in Sping of 2006
    3. SC: Chaos Theory takes place in Summer of 2007
    4. SC: Double Agents takes place in Sept 2007 and Feb 2008
    Sarah Fisher was killed in Sept 2007, at the age of 22
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Whisperkill

gameplay wise, yes 

Story wise, no

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.