Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Is Splinter Cell Still Relevant?

Wallflower501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Edited By Wallflower501

I've never been a huge fan of the Splinter Cell franchise but I remember when it was a big deal. The Splinter Cell name used to carry enough weight to garner a wave of anticipation rivaling Halo or Call of Duty. Is Splinter Cell still a top-notch game series or has it's influence and popularity waned?  Is there any way Splinter Cell Conviction can be as successful as it's predecessors?

Wallflower501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By Wallflower501

I've never been a huge fan of the Splinter Cell franchise but I remember when it was a big deal. The Splinter Cell name used to carry enough weight to garner a wave of anticipation rivaling Halo or Call of Duty. Is Splinter Cell still a top-notch game series or has it's influence and popularity waned?  Is there any way Splinter Cell Conviction can be as successful as it's predecessors?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

The presence of Splinter Cell has waned slightly due to no new titles being released in recent years.  
    Conviction should change that, for better or for worse.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By delta_ass

It has waned due to Double Agent being ass. But uh... yea, ConViction could certainly be as successful as its predecessors, if it's a great game.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Ive been waiting for this game for a very long time and after playing the demo...... Worth the wait, all of it.  
    I don't think it will go to the level of Call of Duty( I mean Really?) or Halo for that matter. 
    However i do think it can be successful.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I have no doubt that Conviction will put the game back up there. It's just that it's been so long and Double Agent, from what I hear, wasn't as good as the others.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Third person stealth games aren't exactly on the same level sales wise as shooters are anyways, but as far as Splinter Cell goes it's definitely still significant in it's own genre as it's ever been. I mean what's the most recent stealth action third person game released? Last good game that was third person was uncharted 2 right? 

Double Agent did something that clearly made an impact on Ubisoft, they took exceedingly long developing this game and have re-done it dramatically to make sure they really nail it (without double agent, could conviction have released in it's early 'assassin's crowd' state?). This focus on action and making things just flat out more cool and fun is great, the biggest staple of this genre of games has been pathing AI and the action in this particular game seems to really help that part become a lot more fun.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @Wallflower501 said:
    " The Splinter Cell name used to carry enough weight to garner a wave of anticipation rivaling Halo or Call of Duty. Is Splinter Cell still a top-notch game series or has it's influence and popularity waned?  Is there any way Splinter Cell Conviction can be as successful as it's predecessors? "
    I don't know that it ever carried that much weight. It was popular, certainly, and it could probably be described as a "hardcore" series (even though I shudder when I say that). But I'm not sure it could be said to have rivaled Halo or Call of Duty. That said, I think the Splinter Cell brand is still extremely powerful. I don't think it ever really waned. It might have waned amongst the message board types - jerks that post on websites, like me - but you have to remember that we make up a small minority of the people who actually play games. People who play games but don't listen to gaming podcasts and don't post on message boards and just visit gaming websites every so often - people that just want the new God of War or the new Gears of War or the next Call of Duty, people who wanted and called for multiplayer in Bioshock 2 - still like Splinter Cell a whole lot.
    SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Maybe, but I think Batman blew away everything that we knew about Stealth-Action out of the water. And by judging from the demo, I don't think Conviction will be the new Stealth-Action king. Just didn't find it as engaging as Batman.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jkz

I think so, but it is far less relevant than it was back in its hay-day. Part of the reason was its failure to evolve to fit modern stealth-action paradigms (even if that was part of the reason that it's one of my all-time favorite franchises), and part of it is due to the (comparatively) massive wait between DA (a game that many people disliked, although I really enjoyed it), and Conviction, which has been delayed so many damn times that I had thought it cancelled.

Kedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Kedi

The fact that Double Agent wasn't quite as good as its predecessors (I still enjoyed it btw), and the long wait for this one has definitely hurt it a bit. There are definitely a lot of people looking forward to this game, keeping the franchise afloat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.