Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Just started playing this.

jasonlblair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By jasonlblair

I didn't have much experience with the Splinter Cell series prior (played a bit of Double Agent), and I picked this up to play co-op with a friend, but I really fell for its balance of stealth and shooting gameplay. I'm about halfway through the campaign and really dig the game so far. In fact, hearing Deus Ex: Human Revolution compares to Conviction's gameplay was a big mark in Deus Ex's favor.

Any other latecomers to Conviction?

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cap123

@jasonlblair: I just rented it for the weekend and I was really pleasantly surprised. For whatever reason I thought this game had bombed and wasn't very good, but me and a mate fancied blasting through some local co-op and it was either this or army of two!

The story is really great, and it has a great sense of style. It's also pretty good value with both the co-op and single player story going on for a bunch of hours.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By oraknabo

I had some frustrations with some of the Washington levels toward the end and I HATED the gulf war section, but overall there is some really top-notch level design on display in this game. Before it came out,   I got the demo that had one of the hangar levels in it and played that one section over and over trying every possible combination of play styles it allowed. I felt like playing the full thing through sort of discouraged this and really didn't give you a full appreciation of how many options a few of the environments really gave you. The mark & execute mechanic made a few areas way too easy, but it added an interesting tactical element. I went into a lot of situations trying to set up the most efficient way to earn an execute, taking 4 or 5 guys out in basically one move.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By niamahai

Do not ever compare DE:HR's stealth mechanics to SC:V.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I just could not get over the fact that the game forces you to beat up a girl. I couldn't play it anymore after that. It's just wrong. I'll never look at Sam Fisher the same way again. Maybe you'll think I'm making too big of a deal over this, but... it might have meant the end for me and the Splinter Cell series entirely. I do not approve.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    I just could not get over the fact that the game forces you to beat up a girl. I couldn't play it anymore after that. It's just wrong. I'll never look at Sam Fisher the same way again. Maybe you'll think I'm making too big of a deal over this, but... it might have meant the end for me and the Splinter Cell series entirely. I do not approve.
    Hey, she was asking for it. 

(Literally)
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Chop

I'm not a fan mostly because of the level design actually. I didn't like the way they'd throw you into cramped areas with maybe a pipe or two, a wall and fifty guards; non interacting style stealth just wasn't viable and I found that unacceptable as that's basically the series trademark. I really wish they'd take a hard look at Chaos Theory and realize how PERFECT the levels were in that game.  Find ways to improve on the formula they found in that game rather than trying to make a new one. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the series to stagnate... I just don't want it to lose its identity either. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't recall that. I just remember she was withholding information about your daughter, so the game forces you to punch her.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    I don't recall that. I just remember she was withholding information about your daughter, so the game forces you to punch her.
    She makes you punch her. She wants you to rough her up to make your escape look good. She says this outright. Sam refuses, so she starts playing with his emotions toward his deceased/undead/sort of never was dead daughter. That's when Sam snaps. Then Sam punches her, and it looks good.  

I agree that violence against women is a dreadful thing, but in the case of Splinter Cell: Conviction, she really was asking for it. Literally.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

@KingWilly
    Alright then. Sam Fisher, you are forgiven. Thanks for pointing that out, Sir KingWilly.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM
    @TheGreatGuero: Yes, I don't see how you didn't get that. Though Sam does smack her once again out of his own anger because she lied to him, or at least didn't tell him about his daughter being alive. So he smacks her twice; once for them both, and once for himself.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye

@TheGreatGuero said:

That was seriously a problem? Equality works both ways my friend! not to mention it was justified in the story, Sam was reluctant and it was her idea.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ervonymous

I have fond memories of playing the first Splinter Cell on my first actually capable computer, can't say that I appreciated what they did with Conviction. I didn't have a problem with the simplified stealth mechanics but the amount of encounters you have to go through guns blazing... Especially the Iraq bit, even the setup for the flashback was ridiculous. Tom Clancy games tend to be but c'mon.

-And what the hell's going on back there?

-I thought you might recognize the sound. Remind you of anything?

-Yeah. IRAQ. WOOSH

The fact that I played it on a PC doesn't help, it ran sub 30 FPS most of the time no matter what settings I used and the Ubi DRM wasn't exactly my favorite thing. Sam hitting a woman was the least of my gripes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.