Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Longest Game Credits Ever....

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By PhilESkyline

So I just finished Splinter Cell Conviction around 2am this morning.  It was a fairly good game overall with a pretty sweet ending.  But the credits...I mean really?  When your 360 fades out 5 times because no one has been touching the controls for a while, that's a sign that your credits are too long.  So long in fact that the music ended.  So I sat there looking at rolling credits in total silence and thinking to myself, "You have got to be kidding me."  I'm sure they noticed that the music score ended when putting this together.  Is it too much to ask to play the same song over and over?  Just a little weekend rant. Going to knock out a few co-op missions and then get back to Red Dead Redemption.  Enjoy your weekend everyone!

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PhilESkyline

So I just finished Splinter Cell Conviction around 2am this morning.  It was a fairly good game overall with a pretty sweet ending.  But the credits...I mean really?  When your 360 fades out 5 times because no one has been touching the controls for a while, that's a sign that your credits are too long.  So long in fact that the music ended.  So I sat there looking at rolling credits in total silence and thinking to myself, "You have got to be kidding me."  I'm sure they noticed that the music score ended when putting this together.  Is it too much to ask to play the same song over and over?  Just a little weekend rant. Going to knock out a few co-op missions and then get back to Red Dead Redemption.  Enjoy your weekend everyone!

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warxsnake

A lot of people worked real hard on the project, this is with the project going through 2 major iterations over the years of the production cycle. The credits could have been longer, crediting the people that were kicked off the project when it changed directions. What would you feel like if you were on the project working your ass off every night doing unpaid overtime for years and not having your name in the credits, while someone who just came on the project in the last months gets his name in.  

If you think the credits take too much time thanking the hard work of hundreds of people, skip them.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @warxsnake said:
    " A lot of people worked real hard on the project, this is with the project going through 2 major iterations over the years of the production cycle. The credits could have been longer, crediting the people that were kicked off the project when it changed directions. What would you feel like if you were on the project working your ass off every night doing unpaid overtime for years and not having your name in the credits, while someone who just came on the project in the last months gets his name in.   If you think the credits take too much time thanking the hard work of hundreds of people, skip them. "  
    Thank you for your take on my blog post.  I believe that credits in video games are great but some creativity could have been used knowing that it was going to be that long.  I would love to see a poll of how many people watch credits in games or movies when they know there's not going to be anything extra at the end. 

A prime example...in the Matrix and Wolverine movie.  They're was a rumor that they were showing extra scenes after the credits rolled so you were told to stay.  Normally people would have gotten up and left but almost everyone stayed just to see the video clips after the credits.  Generally people will hit a button to move on after a game credits start to roll as well.  I understand giving credit where credit is due but the average gamer and movie watcher will not sit through credits.  I only did it because I thought it was going to reveal an achievement or another video.  Put the names of the people who made it on paper in the games file or at least try to make the credits rolling entertaining.  To me it just seemed like a copy and paste of text. Black background white words...No images, no video clips, playing on the side as they roll? I personally saw no benefit in it.  Maybe that's just me...
    MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MonkeyGekko
    @PhilESkyline: Well the credits are there for you to give credit to people who made the game. Do you really pay attention to the credits if there is a video running along side it? I agree with you, that the splinter cell credits should have replayed the credit song, but credits doesn't really need a video or anything to make it entertaining. That is not at all the purpose of the credits.
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @MonkeyGekko said:
    " @PhilESkyline: Well the credits are there for you to give credit to people who made the game. Do you really pay attention to the credits if there is a video running along side it? I agree with you, that the splinter cell credits should have replayed the credit song, but credits doesn't really need a video or anything to make it entertaining. That is not at all the purpose of the credits. "
    I think Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4 did a good job of engaging your in the ending credits.  While it may have taken you away from viewing the credits.  They tried something different.  Now that may be because it's a totally different game and the scope is not the same at SCC but they tried something different then the norm.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @MonkeyGekko said:
    " @PhilESkyline: Well the credits are there for you to give credit to people who made the game. Do you really pay attention to the credits if there is a video running along side it? I agree with you, that the splinter cell credits should have replayed the credit song, but credits doesn't really need a video or anything to make it entertaining. That is not at all the purpose of the credits. "

that may not be the purpose but do people really want to sit and just watch text fly by? i remember gears of war did it well where they posted pics of the staff and a quote. GTA and a few other open world games will have a fly-by of the city. some games will post pics of great moments of the game or as of late will remix a nice song for the end. and i have seen everyone of the metal gear credits many time because when its all over i get a teaser line from ocelot and in-game rewards.

i think its far more effective to keep me entertianed in the credits because then i will watch it and catch some names, otherwise i will just skip it and will never see any of the people who made the game.
    MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MonkeyGekko
    @Lego_My_Eggo said:

" @MonkeyGekko said:

that may not be the purpose but do people really want to sit and just watch text fly by? i remember gears of war did it well where they posted pics of the staff and a quote. GTA and a few other open world games will have a fly-by of the city. some games will post pics of great moments of the game or as of late will remix a nice song for the end. and i have seen everyone of the metal gear credits many time because when its all over i get a teaser line from ocelot and in-game rewards.  i think its far more effective to keep me entertianed in the credits because then i will watch it and catch some names, otherwise i will just skip it and will never see any of the people who made the game. "
    Yea Gears did a really great job with the credits, because you actually pay attention to the names, as well being entertained. I'm not saying a roll of text is the only solution, I think developers should be more creative, than just play a song and let the text roll, but just playing a video along side, that have nothing to do with the credits, defies the whole purpose of the credits by taking your attention away.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By infininja

The point of credits isn't to have every person that plays the game memorize everyone that worked on it. It's a history of who worked on the project should it need to be referenced, and a nice thing for the people that worked on the project to be able to say "look, that's me :)." Including bonus scenes alongside them doesn't defeat their purpose.

Even so, the credits for this game were unbearably long and lazily put together.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhilESkyline: lol u iz a funni muttafukker ^_^ 

Anyway, i didnt wait to see the credits after i beat the game :P
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

I haven't played the latest Splinter Cell, but I remember Killzone 2 had some incredibly long end credits.  Of course, all top tier games these days will have very large production staffs, so I understand why they turn out to be so huge.  Still, I think a lot could be done by speeding up the pace and losing all the stylized presentation.  What's wrong with just scrolling the names like in a movie?  The Lord of the Rings movies had a very large production team and the end credits did take quite some time, but not as long as Killzone 2.  In some cases, I've seen developer messages as the credits roll by.  Thank yous are the most common, but I've also seen lists of every baby born to a staff family during the production of the game.   Sometimes I watch them out of respect, but I have my limits.  After more than 4 minutes, I flip the TV source back to television and let them roll by in obscurity.  I do this because some studios used to give achievements if you watched their end credits.  This is the most effort I'll put into gaining a handful of points.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @PenguinDust said:
    " I haven't played the latest Splinter Cell, but I remember Killzone 2 had some incredibly long end credits.  Of course, all top tier games these days will have very large production staffs, so I understand why they turn out to be so huge.  Still, I think a lot could be done by speeding up the pace and losing all the stylized presentation.  What's wrong with just scrolling the names like in a movie?  The Lord of the Rings movies had a very large production team and the end credits did take quite some time, but not as long as Killzone 2.  In some cases, I've seen developer messages as the credits roll by.  Thank yous are the most common, but I've also seen lists of every baby born to a staff family during the production of the game.   Sometimes I watch them out of respect, but I have my limits.  After more than 4 minutes, I flip the TV source back to television and let them roll by in obscurity.  I do this because some studios used to give achievements if you watched their end credits.  This is the most effort I'll put into gaining a handful of points. "
    The funny thing is Splinter Cell Conviction prided themselves on the new in game video and text instructions on the walls and lighting only to fail when the credits ran.  They could have had them appear on the wall or play like an in-game video.  Would it have taken effort...yes but it would have been worth it. I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.