Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Recorded a little video for those on the fence.

Mercurius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mercurius

Hi, I recorded a little video of Splinter Cell for people who are unsure about whether to buy it or not. It's only 2 minutes or so, but I feel it shows a lot of the game's stealth elements. It doesn't contain any spoilers, either.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nail1080

It's just the opening tutorial, this doesn't tell me anything I don't already know...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Branthog

I've only played the first few missions (beyond C4 on the satellite) and so far, my impressions are (aside from the crashing) that:

+ The graphics are not awful, but they don't impress.
    + The gameplay feels dated. Not the stealth. Just the gameplay, controls, movement.
    + The audio sounds weird. Half of the dialogue sounds like it was recorded separate from the entire world of the game, in a studio (obviously) with no dimension to it. That is, it doesn't sound like it's coming in any direction, but "everywhere". The other half sounds like audio appropriately mixed into the rest of the game and environment. 

Also...

GOD DAMN IT! I said TURN OFF THE LIGHT and not OPEN THE DOOR. MOTHER FUCKER, I said OPEN THE DOOR, NOT BASH IT. God DAMN IT, I said OPEN THE WINDOW, not JUMP THROUGH THE WINDOW AND MAKE A HUGE COMMOTION.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Branthog:  I wouldn't say the controls are dated or anything, more.. absolutely confusing. I feel like a lot of them were different just for the hell of it, and not actually trying to be comfortable. Otherwise, pretty fun game. I just get killed too often from the controls.
    Mercurius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercurius
    @XII_Sniper: There were definitely times where I would find myself throwing all of my grenades when I thought I was going to reload. Towards the end of the game, I grew to like reload being on L3, though.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Mercurius:  Even that's not too bad, I got used to it quickly, but my real pain in the ass is having the left trigger be the cover button, and having to click the other stick to be able to aim in any accurate fashion. It made the forced non-stealth bits (like the computer room you have to defend [though I somehow was sneaky for that] and the Iraq level) unbearable.

Basically the controls are serviceable, but when you take them out of their element (which happens all too often in this game), it becomes really frustrating.  

I'm kinda split about this game, I love a lot of the changes and modernizing they've done to is (as a fan of the series from the start), but the control elements, and the black and white stuff are pretty frustrating. Still, I'd probably give it an 8 in a review. (And like.. a normal 8, not the whole "8 is a terrible score" thing that seems to be the norm nowadays).
    Mercurius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercurius
    @XII_Sniper: Huh. I never had a problem with being behind cover and aiming. Maybe it's because I'm left handed? Who knows.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Mercurius: Well obviously it's an objective thing, but yeah that kinda stuff can fowl up an experience. Not that I don't want to rush home from work now and stealth some shit up immediately hahaha. 
    Mercurius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercurius
    @XII_Sniper: I know what you mean. There were times in the game that if I got seen I would restart from the last checkpoint even though I didn't need to.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By infininja
    @XII_Sniper: Accuracy doesn't seem to increase at all from clicking the right stick. It's just a zoom.

Cover is so vital to the game that it wouldn't make sense to put it anywhere else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.