Should I sign up for Uplay?

#1 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Has anyone actually used the Uplay stuff on Ubisoft games? I pre-ordered Conviction from Amazon to get Infiltration mode, but I guess you can just unlock it and most of the other pre-order stuff normally if you sign up for Uplay. I really don't want to have another account somewhere; I already have an EA account and a Bioware account for all the Mass Effect 2 downloadable/pre-order stuff. Now I'm reading more about Uplay and seeing that there's a whole new tomb to unlock in Assassin's Creed 2 through it.  Basically, GRR. 

Ubisoft, do you really need my e-mail address that badly? Do we really need another way to unlock achievements?? 

To anyone who's actually used Uplay: should I sign up for this in advance of playing Conviction? Will it be worth it at some point, now or in the future? Is it a total pain in the ass? I just S-ranked AC2 over the weekend... if I sign up for Uplay and boot up the game, will it give me those Uplay point retroactively or do I be logged in when accomplishing stuff in order to get them? I'm reading so many conflicting things online. AM I WASTING MY TIME?

Sigh.

#2 Posted by ErgoProxy77 (550 posts) -

I activated it on Assassin's Creed 2 and it let me unlock some stuff in the game.  I say go for it!

#3 Posted by Meltac (2007 posts) -

Sure, just do it. Seems like you can get some cool stuff.

#4 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Went to the site and apparently I already have an Ubisoft account (no clue why) and got 10 points just for logging in. But it doesn't retroactively add points, so I'd have to play AC2 again to get those rewards. LAME. 

Well, I guess if I already have it I'll use it but the whole thing just seems really stupid and unnecessary to me. Then again, these are the same people who are requiring a persistent Internet connection to play their PC games now, so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

#5 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -
@drhans said:
" Went to the site and apparently I already have an Ubisoft account (no clue why) and got 10 points just for logging in. But it doesn't retroactively add points, so I'd have to play AC2 again to get those rewards. LAME.  Well, I guess if I already have it I'll use it but the whole thing just seems really stupid and unnecessary to me. Then again, these are the same people who are requiring a persistent Internet connection to play their PC games now, so I'm not sure what I was expecting. "
Splinter Cell: Conviction will also have U-play awards. So you can get points that way.
#6 Posted by Iireku (147 posts) -

If U-play is the only way to access certain features or awards in the game, then I guess signing up for it is a must.  At least for me.

#7 Posted by Peacemaker (1106 posts) -

It's free and it gives you bonuses in their games.  Why not?

#8 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@ErgoProxy77 said:
" I activated it on Assassin's Creed 2 and it let me unlock some stuff in the game.  I say go for it! "
Yup. I don't see any downside.
#9 Edited by CrazyBagMan (858 posts) -

More content for free. No downside. In a third of the time it took you to come here and make this thread you could have signed up and had it over with. 

If it seems so unnecessary don't do it though! Don't get the free stuff for doing essentially nothing. And in my opinion this is nothing close to requiring a constant internet connection to play.

#10 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

If you want your Ghost Recon beta.

#11 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1867 posts) -
@ErgoProxy77 said:
" I activated it on Assassin's Creed 2 and it let me unlock some stuff in the game.  I say go for it! "
Same, didn't even have to log in again for Conviction. Got the SCAR-H and the new mode so far with my leftover Assassin's Creed 2 points, not bad!
#12 Posted by HCGJadeHeart123 (44 posts) -

I, like some of the others here, acitvated/signed up for UPLAY on Assassin's Creed 2.  I was kind of hesistant at first, but yeah, you get a few things here and there and have nothing to lose.  It will be interesting to see what UPLAY evolves into.....

#13 Posted by heatDrive88 (2403 posts) -

It's a good thing to sign up for, you might as well to enjoy the free content. Anything based around them wanting to send you promotional emails or whatever has opt-out options, and so far I've received nothing in my email account from doing so.
#14 Posted by Phaazon (34 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" If you want your Ghost Recon beta. "
^^THAT^^
#15 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2933 posts) -

Whats up lay?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.