Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Splinter Cell : Conviction - Demo Rundown.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Lowbrow

Sam Fisher, master of persuation!

So, hi! 

I took a couple minutes when I got home from work last night to quickly play through the SC:C demo on xbox live. Here's my gameplay impressions.

Control Scheme

No more goverment issued wetsuit for Sam - he rolls with a sweater and cargo pants now.
     No more goverment issued wetsuit for Sam - he rolls with a sweater and cargo pants now.
    Something I thought that I would never see again in a videogame (which is weird because the game was awesome) was the control scheme from another Tom Clancy number - Rainbow Six Vegas. The game controls much in the same way as Vegas did. Left trigger doesn't have you aim down sights here, instead the left trigger controls when Sam wants to stick to cover. X is to use gadgets (frags, sticky cams etc), and zooming in for a kill, once again taking a page from R6: V is a right-stick-click away. Also when taking cover, Sam is given the option to "auto move" to other peices of cover around the environment. The system is actually pretty good, indicated by hovering over other objects in the environment if from one piece of cover, you can do a transition to another, by placing a small icon in the same position you would auto transfer to. The control scheme overall feels fine, just takes a couple of minutes to get used to. Good luck finding the re-load button if you weren't paying attention to the control scheme before you start the mission. 

Gettin' Around

Keep in mind here, I played this demo once, until completion yesterday, and it probably didn't go any longer that 20 minutes. But in that time, I got the feeling that moving same around environments feels a bit... loose? The first 3 Splinter Cell games I played were all on PC, and they got all the movement bang on. Camera angles were always perfect, the ability to control movement speed with the mousewheel was awesome. Honestly, I felt like in quite a few spots, the camera got too low, and way to close to Sam, in certain cases blocking your view of an enemy (this was most prevalent when going into a zoomed mode with your weapon), or of an environment that you were trying to scope. I kind of hope that they will think about cleaning that up a little bit, because when you're character is taking up a significant portion of the screen, its kind of tough to get a feel about whats going on around him. 

Vox

There is one cutscene in the game. Its kind of bad - specifically the delivery of the voice actors, and the script itself isn't so hot.  Next, the enemies repeat the same shit over and over and over when they're looking for you. All voicework is kinda garbage in this demo. 

Wastin' Dudes

(FYI - I did't play double agent, so I don't have a frame of reference as far as that game goes) 

Thankfully, Sam Fisher has finally started acting like a badass worthy of being formerly employed by a branch of the US goverment that the public in unaware of, and most of the government itself doesn't know exists.

Someone stole Sams' old man fiber cookies, and now they're gonna pay...

So, melee kills are in the game, and im talking about Sam actually looking like he knows what he's doing. Not the repeated elbows to the head until your opponent falls over like a sack of shit, but not before he leaves you with a couple extra holes in your body, or a knife in the back. No, this time around he's snapping necks and breaking backs. A successful melee kill will allow you to "mark" up to three targets to set them up for what the game calls execution. Basically, then initiated, Sam insta kills the three dudes you marked with his weapon as long as they are in his LOS. I guess its a pretty goodmechanic, but honestly, I'm kind of wondering what its there for in the first place? Is the game so difficult in spots that you have no other choice but to use autokill features? I don't really get it, and the demo doesn't do the best job of explaining its acutal utility.

Conclusion

The demo makes the game feel unfinished. But I think that's cause when they were putting the demo together they used older parts of the product. At least, I really hope thats what the case is. Cause if  not...... oh boy.
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lowbrow

So, hi! 

I took a couple minutes when I got home from work last night to quickly play through the SC:C demo on xbox live. Here's my gameplay impressions.

Control Scheme

Something I thought that I would never see again in a videogame (which is weird because the game was awesome) was the control scheme from another Tom Clancy number - Rainbow Six Vegas. The game controls much in the same way as Vegas did. Left trigger doesn't have you aim down sights here, instead the left trigger controls when Sam wants to stick to cover. X is to use gadgets (frags, sticky cams etc), and zooming in for a kill, once again taking a page from R6: V is a right-stick-click away. Also when taking cover, Sam is given the option to "auto move" to other peices of cover around the environment. The system is actually pretty good, indicated by hovering over other objects in the environment if from one piece of cover, you can do a transition to another, by placing a small icon in the same position you would auto transfer to. The control scheme overall feels fine, just takes a couple of minutes to get used to. Good luck finding the re-load button if you weren't paying attention to the control scheme before you start the mission. 

Gettin' Around

Keep in mind here, I played this demo once, until completion yesterday, and it probably didn't go any longer that 20 minutes. But in that time, I got the feeling that moving same around environments feels a bit... loose? The first 3 Splinter Cell games I played were all on PC, and they got all the movement bang on. Camera angles were always perfect, the ability to control movement speed with the mousewheel was awesome. Honestly, I felt like in quite a few spots, the camera got too low, and way to close to Sam, in certain cases blocking your view of an enemy (this was most prevalent when going into a zoomed mode with your weapon), or of an environment that you were trying to scope. I kind of hope that they will think about cleaning that up a little bit, because when you're character is taking up a significant portion of the screen, its kind of tough to get a feel about whats going on around him. 

Vox

There is one cutscene in the game. Its kind of bad - specifically the delivery of the voice actors, and the script itself isn't so hot.  Next, the enemies repeat the same shit over and over and over when they're looking for you. All voicework is kinda garbage in this demo. 

Wastin' Dudes

(FYI - I did't play double agent, so I don't have a frame of reference as far as that game goes) 

Thankfully, Sam Fisher has finally started acting like a badass worthy of being formerly employed by a branch of the US goverment that the public in unaware of, and most of the government itself doesn't know exists.

So, melee kills are in the game, and im talking about Sam actually looking like he knows what he's doing. Not the repeated elbows to the head until your opponent falls over like a sack of shit, but not before he leaves you with a couple extra holes in your body, or a knife in the back. No, this time around he's snapping necks and breaking backs. A successful melee kill will allow you to "mark" up to three targets to set them up for what the game calls execution. Basically, then initiated, Sam insta kills the three dudes you marked with his weapon as long as they are in his LOS. I guess its a pretty goodmechanic, but honestly, I'm kind of wondering what its there for in the first place? Is the game so difficult in spots that you have no other choice but to use autokill features? I don't really get it, and the demo doesn't do the best job of explaining its acutal utility.

Conclusion

The demo makes the game feel unfinished. But I think that's cause when they were putting the demo together they used older parts of the product. At least, I really hope thats what the case is. Cause if  not...... oh boy.
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Relys

It literally took me only 15 minutes to finish the demo, and I still didn't fully know what I was doing. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.