Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Splinter Cell fatigue

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By LocoRocker

I have been a fan of the series from the very first game on and have played every Sam Fisher game since. Recently I started playing Splinter Cell: Double Agent and noticed that I am really not having fun playing it anymore. I still enjoy the concept of the modern ninja but the gameplay just hasn't evolved over time and is beginnig to feel stale and boring to me. I also couldn't care less about Sam Fisher. Sure, the thing with his daughter is tragic but the SC games never were strong on the narrative side, so I never began caring about any of the characters or the particular story arc.

I wonder if the upcoming Splinter Cell: Conviction will be able to change this. It seemed to have recieved a lot of positive feedback at E3.
    LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LocoRocker

I have been a fan of the series from the very first game on and have played every Sam Fisher game since. Recently I started playing Splinter Cell: Double Agent and noticed that I am really not having fun playing it anymore. I still enjoy the concept of the modern ninja but the gameplay just hasn't evolved over time and is beginnig to feel stale and boring to me. I also couldn't care less about Sam Fisher. Sure, the thing with his daughter is tragic but the SC games never were strong on the narrative side, so I never began caring about any of the characters or the particular story arc.

I wonder if the upcoming Splinter Cell: Conviction will be able to change this. It seemed to have recieved a lot of positive feedback at E3.
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Matt_

From what I saw it has seemed the gameplay has had some big changes. For instance, I saw where you can queue up enemies Rainbow Six style then Sam goes into some pretty cool animations to dispatch them. That seems like it would help with some of the difficulty when facing multiple enemies. Not sure about how all the sneaking will factor yet. Most of what I saw was pretty action oriented.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Beyond being repetitive at this point in the series, DA also just wasn't a lot of fun to play (IMO).  I've played through every Splinter Cell game and couldn't finish Double Agent.

If you've seen Conviction for one second you'll know it's plenty different.  And while Sam isn't the most developed character I think a lot of people, me included, really think he's a cool character.  Seems like the new game will be more personal.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LocoRocker
    @Matt_ said:
    "

From what I saw it has seemed the gameplay has had some big changes. For instance, I saw where you can queue up enemies Rainbow Six style then Sam goes into some pretty cool animations to dispatch them. That seems like it would help with some of the difficulty when facing multiple enemies. Not sure about how all the sneaking will factor yet. Most of what I saw was pretty action oriented.

"
    That would be nice. I really like the approach the recent Rainbow Six games took. Even though I was a huge fan of the "old" RS games a change had to be introduced at some point as even Rainbow Six 3 felt  like the original with better graphics. The more fast paced and action oriented gameplay could really reboot the Splinter Cell series.
    LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LocoRocker
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " Beyond being repetitive at this point in the series, DA also just wasn't a lot of fun to play (IMO).  I've played through every Splinter Cell game and couldn't finish Double Agent.If you've seen Conviction for one second you'll know it's plenty different.  And while Sam isn't the most developed character I think a lot of people, me included, really think he's a cool character.  Seems like the new game will be more personal. "
    Fisher is indeed a cool character, an aging modern day ninja who still got it. That's a great concept, but in my opinion way too underdeveloped by the games themselves. Splinter Cell needs to become more cinematic and from what I've seen so far from the new game, the developers intend to do just that.
    Looks like Double Agent's main goal was introducing choice and concequences but that might have not been the best way of making us care about the character.
    wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wfolse1

I think that your Splinter Cell fatigue could be more accurately attributed to DA not being a very good game.  Chaos Theory is the absolute best in the series.  I have a feeling that this game is going to be awesome as well.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ryax

good bump

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dark_Jon

It looks like they changed the gameplay sooo much, like how fluid and easy it is to aim which really makes you feel like an elite soldier,

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Ping5000

I love Chaos Theory. It's a game I go back to pretty often. All the dialogue clicked between Sam and his team, the layered system for both the AI and alarms was fair, all the gameplay mechanics were super-refined and the level design was ace. As far as stealth games go, it's one of my favorites.  

Really looking forward to Conviction despite it looking nothing like CT, though.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LocoRocker

i hope you're right

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.