Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Stupid.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

Edited By Captainlunchbox

No Caption Provided

Former SC fans are really upset that you can't drag lifeless bodies? Really? Why is there so much trash talking for the removal of the more tedious aspects of SC? I saw one person complain that you can't pick up soda cans or whistle anymore. And then complain about the "stupid AI." Let's be real here: 

If you see a soda can come flying out of a dark corner, or head a weird sounding whistle that could not possibly be a bird, as a soldier, merc, terrorist, whatever- would you really just go investigate on your own? 

If stealth games were as realistic as everyone wanted them to be, they wouldn't be games or fun, for that matter. They'd be simulations. Tedious, grinding, frustrating and boring simulations. I, for one, am glad Ubi Montreal focused on making this game more fun and fantasy oriented. Chaos Theory was excellent, don't get me wrong- but did anyone care about the story or even the main character across any of the earlier entires? My guess is hardly. And 2 of the early SC games were completely ruined by Ubi's black sheep- Ubisoft Shanghai. Of course I'm talking about Pandora Tomorrow and Double Agent. 

It's just a sad thing to see gamers get so jaded about some of their games being more accessible or fun.

And you CAN move bodies- you just do it in a context that makes much more sense. When they're standing and when they're not dead weight. That's how I'd do it in real-life.... *snicker* 
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Captainlunchbox

No Caption Provided

Former SC fans are really upset that you can't drag lifeless bodies? Really? Why is there so much trash talking for the removal of the more tedious aspects of SC? I saw one person complain that you can't pick up soda cans or whistle anymore. And then complain about the "stupid AI." Let's be real here: 

If you see a soda can come flying out of a dark corner, or head a weird sounding whistle that could not possibly be a bird, as a soldier, merc, terrorist, whatever- would you really just go investigate on your own? 

If stealth games were as realistic as everyone wanted them to be, they wouldn't be games or fun, for that matter. They'd be simulations. Tedious, grinding, frustrating and boring simulations. I, for one, am glad Ubi Montreal focused on making this game more fun and fantasy oriented. Chaos Theory was excellent, don't get me wrong- but did anyone care about the story or even the main character across any of the earlier entires? My guess is hardly. And 2 of the early SC games were completely ruined by Ubi's black sheep- Ubisoft Shanghai. Of course I'm talking about Pandora Tomorrow and Double Agent. 

It's just a sad thing to see gamers get so jaded about some of their games being more accessible or fun.

And you CAN move bodies- you just do it in a context that makes much more sense. When they're standing and when they're not dead weight. That's how I'd do it in real-life.... *snicker* 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Captainlunchbox:  My answer is simple and consists of two parts 

1)Some people just HAVE to bitch about what's missing from the last game and whats been added since the last game. It's like a robotic thing in their mind, it happens automatically and whether what they're criticizing is good or bad. 
     2)The other people criticizing actually have something to say. I mean not all of them are silly tools like in #1, and if you'd like to read some of the opinions about why Conviction doesnt deserve the SC name, read the posts on this thread. 

/Absolutely THREAD.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Double Agent wasn't an early one though... it's the 2nd most recent one haha. 

Anyway I cared about Chaos Theory's story, and that was also the first time I cared about Sam Fisher as well. At this point in the story line he was starting to be tired of the spy business, complaining about being old and whatnot, it was kinda fun. Plus he wasn't all whiny about his daughter. I mean I can understand, but still... he was supposed to be totally unattached to these missions and such, which is what I liked. Just being a tool of the NSA or whatever.  

Those things you mentioned aren't why SC:C wasn't as good as the others though. The first half of the game was really good, but unfortunately it felt like the stealth section were played down in the end half of the game, it forced you into situations where it encouraged straight up action and what not. The other games were designed around the idea of never being seen, ever, and I liked that option. 

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JokerClown88

Its just cool to hate on whats popular.  My hatred for Avatar though is justified. 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor

It's because one level has instant fails (what is this, 2002?!) where if you're spotted by enemy cameras but the thing is the cameras are also alerted if they see a dead body - an issue you wouldn't have had in prior games since you could move the body away once you'd taken the guy out. 

That seems like a legit complaint as it really makes that mission unbelievably frustrating (and feel dated because of it).

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By luce

no u.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Donos
    @Vitor said:
    " It's because one level has instant fails (what is this, 2002?!) where if you're spotted by enemy cameras but the thing is the cameras are also alerted if they see a dead body - an issue you wouldn't have had in prior games since you could move the body away once you'd taken the guy out.  That seems like a legit complaint as it really makes that mission unbelievably frustrating (and feel dated because of it). "
    Um, I've had dead bodies spotted by both guards and cameras in those sections, as well as infiltration mode, and it didn't fail me. Otherwise, I would agree with your point.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

Aw they took that stuff out?  That was the fun part for me, it felt more open like that.  I don't know how the new game plays, but throwing an object at someone's head was pretty funny.  Anyway, I liked the sneaky feel to it all, instead of it just being some kind of action game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor
    @Donos said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " It's because one level has instant fails (what is this, 2002?!) where if you're spotted by enemy cameras but the thing is the cameras are also alerted if they see a dead body - an issue you wouldn't have had in prior games since you could move the body away once you'd taken the guy out.  That seems like a legit complaint as it really makes that mission unbelievably frustrating (and feel dated because of it). "
    Um, I've had dead bodies spotted by both guards and cameras in those sections, as well as infiltration mode, and it didn't fail me. Otherwise, I would agree with your point. "
    Maybe it's only on realistic mode then? Even so, it just removes some aspects of layer control from the game and that's never a good thing (case in point, if you want to take an enemy out by a door and not have his body seen by the guy coming this way later, you have to hold him hostage first and force him into the shadows before taking him out - it works, but it isn't ideal).
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I still can't believe not dragging bodies is a chief complaint. What if I wanna send a message? What if I wanna embrace this "preadtor in the darkness fantasy"? Being a predator is just as badass as being a ghost.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Captainlunchbox: The main complaint I have about Conviction is that it seems to be severely dumbed down compared to previous titles and I don't feel like I'm actually working towards my goal, I feel that the game itself is just holding my hand like I were a child.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I'd like to preface this by saying that I've never played a Splinter Cell game, including Conviction.

Consider Resident Evil 4, which is a fairly divisive game among the Resident Evil fan-base.  While some consider the series' overhaul in this iteration a necessary change to improve the playability of the Resident Evil games, others see it as an abandonment of the series' foundation.  The former view RE4 as a horror game while the latter see it as an action game.  Meanwhile Resident Evil 5 is almost universally considered an action game.  The difference between these two games is simply a matter of where a person chooses to draw the line between genres.  I feel that a similar situation is developing with the Splinter Cell franchise.

I think it's a mistake to simply write off opinions like these.  Many of the changes to Conviction are concessions made to appeal to an audience that doesn't really enjoy stealth games.  Some of these changes are genuine improvements, but others are simply meant to attract the lowest common denominator in gaming.  The sales that would come from a stealth-oriented consumer base just aren't enough to support a game that has been in development for as long as Conviction has been and so the developer/publisher has to try to attract non-stealth fans.  This is a common problem and is one of the causes of the homogenization of games and the lack of variety specifically among big-budget titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.