Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Taken: conviction

Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Wesley

As much as I think splinter cell conviction looks wicked, It just seems like when the original version of the game went tits up they watched the movie Taken and decided to make a game on that instead. I've not seen anyone mention it but its so obvious after watching the movie, from the story to the gameplay. Credit where credits due ubisoft.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ZmillA

No one has played the game.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By themartyr

Yeah, I absolutely loved that movie a thousand times over, but as ZmillA says, how have you come to this opinion of the new sc?

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turtlemayor333

To be fair, Sam's daughter has been an integral part of the story since 2006, before anyone knew about Taken. Besides that, what else do they really share? Brutality, I guess.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By themartyr

an old guy you can look up to?

Jason_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jason_Miami

That comparison has been made countless times; maybe not on Giant Bomb but it's been made ever since E3. Conviction is going to have to be pretty laughable and cliche to live up to the bar set by Taken.

Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wesley
    @ZmillA: and? The quickness and predatory nature of the action is very comparable, even the typography that they project on the walls looks similar to the type of the movie title, not to mention basic nature of the plot. Watch the movie and then a video of the game, its easy to see. I'm not trying to take apart the game, I think it looks great, I'd just never heard anyone compare the two when it seemed obvious.
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ZmillA
    @Wesley said:

" @ZmillA: and? The quickness and predatory nature of the action is very comparable, even the typography that they project on the walls looks similar to the type of the movie title, not to mention basic nature of the plot. Watch the movie and then a video of the game, its easy to see. I'm not trying to take apart the game, I think it looks great, I'd just never heard anyone compare the two when it seemed obvious. "

ok so there are similarities. Your original post makes it sound like you think they owe much more gratitude to the film. I have seen the movie, and outside of the "one man out for payback" theme, there aren't many substantial similarities that I can gather from the footage of the game released so far. Talking about the "nature" of the action doesn't fly since many games and movies have had that style. Outside of the interrogation type scenes the game is much more over the top then the movie was.

And outside all of the that, my original post still stands. We don't know what the game will really be like when shipped. From the most recent gameplay showings the game already looks to be way more action focused or have far deeper stealth aspects than anything in the movie. You never heard anyone compare the two because the only thing that they would only be able to say is "I saw taken and this seems a little like it" and then someone else would say "how so?" and the first guy would say "well it has a long father out for payback, and and...brutal hand to hand combat"
    Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wesley
    @ZmillA: A father out for payback who used to work for the govornment and theyve turned theyre back on him (the french guy in the movie), and and.. the fast paced brutal hand to hand combact and gun play (mark and execute). I think talking about the nature of the action does fly, I liked the movie because the action was quick and fast paced in a way id not seen before and seeing clips of the game, gameplay or otherwise reminded me of it. Its just my opinion man.
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I'd say the core changes with Conviction for the franchise are more related to something like the Bourne style of action rather then anything story related. If you liked the fighting scenes from taken then you'll like where they originate from, which is the bourne films. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTejGH15FE    

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By mattysen

Taken is like a bad version of a Bourne film. It's just a cliche to use. I don't think anyones complaining about Call Of Duty ripping of all the cliche WWII movies so just live with it I guess. 

P.S Fuck this it's Christmas 

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Most good things are culminations of older ideas, look at Halo for instance. It's Universal Soldier+Aliens+Star Ship Troopers the video game... with a bit of marathon lore sprinkled in. World of Warcraft is all the previous conventions of past 'successful' MMOs all rolled up neatly into one game under the warcraft lore umbrella and aimed at players not traditionally used to previous MMOs. 

So when I see two things I love, Splinter Cell and Bourne, collide into something like Conviction I'm only happy.

Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wesley
    @mattysen said:
    " Taken is like a bad version of a Bourne film. It's just a cliche to use. I don't think anyones complaining about Call Of Duty ripping of all the cliche WWII movies so just live with it I guess.       P.S Fuck this it's Christmas  "
    No ones complaining full stop. I think the only real similarity in between taken and bourne is people fight. The pace of the movie is completely different, not saying the Bourne movies are bad. it is correct that conviction is a cumulative experience that looks as if it works, the comparison just seemed too obvious to not state, nothing to blow a gasket over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.