What's with Jeff's beef with Michael Ironside?

  • 57 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Lamashtu (254 posts) -

Personally, I found Ironside to be one of the better VA's working in the game industry. The man portrays what I think is one of the most complex and believable characters in a game, who can be downright serious and at other times show a black sense of humor that's justifiable for a person working in his profession, one who resorts to gallows humor to deal with the hardships his job entails. Whereas I think the appeal of David Hayter playing Solid Snake is more tongue in cheek (say it with me: "Metal Gear?")
#2 Posted by Brendan (8027 posts) -

He has no range, and sounds like a drunken hobo in that game.  That's why.
#3 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

He clearly told you what his beef was if you listened. He sounds like he's drunk and slurs his words.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business
#5 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Michael Ironside doesn't voice Sam Fisher as much as he voices Michael Ironside voicing someone that sounds just like Michael Ironside voicing a character known to have the voice of Michael Ironside.

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

He sounds awful in the footage I've seen. He used to be very good.

#7 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Michael Ironside doesn't voice Sam Fisher as much as he voices Michael Ironside voicing someone that sounds just like Michael Ironside voicing a character known to have the voice of Michael Ironside. "
This is actually the best way to describe it...
#8 Posted by xyzygy (10066 posts) -

I think he sounds pretty badass as Sam Fisher.

#9 Posted by HatKing (6065 posts) -

I have to admit as somebody new to the Splinter Cell games it was pretty jarring when I first heard him speak.  Also Ironside came off as a total douche in that interview he had on XBL the other day.  He actually believes he is more badass than the fictional action hero Sam Fisher.
#10 Posted by Deusoma (3023 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
Damn, man, he asked a legitimate question, it's not like he was prying into Mafia business or something, chill.
#11 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Deusoma said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
Damn, man, he asked a legitimate question, it's not like he was prying into Mafia business or something, chill. "
Some people have an.....lets say..attachment to Jeff.
 
"arrr you said something about jeff?!?! arrr"
#12 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Jeff has a beef with everything. Him and Ryan are pessimists.

#13 Posted by Baillie (4279 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" He has no range, and sounds like a drunken hobo in that game.  That's why. "
@sodiumCyclops said:
" He clearly told you what his beef was if you listened. He sounds like he's drunk and slurs his words. "
I didn't realise Jeff also posted under those pseudonyms.
#14 Posted by AllThatBacon (562 posts) -
@Lambert said:
" Jeff has a beef with everything. Him and Ryan are pessimists. "
No, they're just very critical. Come's with the job. Me? I like Ironside and have zero problems with him in the game. Going by the demo, it sounds like he did as good a job as he's always done.
#15 Edited by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @Deusoma said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
Damn, man, he asked a legitimate question, it's not like he was prying into Mafia business or something, chill. "
Some people have an.....lets say..attachment to Jeff.  "arrr you said something about jeff?!?! arrr" "
Yeah. I'm quite sure many of these people have commissioned real doll versions of Jeff so they can do naughty things to him.
#16 Posted by MildMolasses (3228 posts) -

His beef didn't sound so much like a general problem with Michael Ironside so much as a problem with Michael Ironside's work in SC:C. The way it was descibed, it sounded like he (Ironside) is just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck rather than doing compelling voicework
#17 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I think he sounds pretty badass as Sam Fisher. "
I agree.
#18 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

eergghhh agghghh arrghhh 

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Michael Ironside doesn't voice Sam Fisher as much as he voices Michael Ironside voicing someone that sounds just like Michael Ironside voicing a character known to have the voice of Michael Ironside. "
I lol'd.
#20 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

LOL either way I like Michael Ironside better then jeff :P

#21 Posted by jkz (4050 posts) -

He didn't seem bad in the game, better than most actors, but nowhere near his outstanding performances in past Splinter-Cells. Fisher is one of my favorite characters in gaming history, but he just sounds a little off in conviction.

#22 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Man I don't know why, but I totally put this post's topic into IMAGE FORM CHECK IT:
 

#23 Posted by JoGribbs (39 posts) -

When the demo opens up, and Sam Fisher says "Bad move, Ass-hole!" (or something like that), I cringed. I didn't really hear him talk aside from that, so I don't know if it gets much worse. Jeff has played more of the game than me though, so I'm inclined to agree with him until I have the thing in my disc drive.

#24 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Michael Ironside doesn't voice Sam Fisher as much as he voices Michael Ironside voicing someone that sounds just like Michael Ironside voicing a character known to have the voice of Michael Ironside. "
I think we have win people.
 
I'm just going to have to check...
 
Yes, we have win.
#25 Posted by Bones8677 (3271 posts) -

Screw the haters, Ironside is awesome!!!!
 

#26 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Anything Michael Ironside does Powers Boothe can do more better. So I mean, you want that Ironsidey voice but from someone not phoning it in, get your Powers on.

#27 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -
@Lambert said:
" Jeff has a beef with everything. Him and Ryan are pessimists. "
Lmao. It's true, I love it.
#28 Posted by JoGribbs (39 posts) -

I think David Hayter and Micheal Ironside should swap places for a couple of games. Or maybe Ironside can be the new Prince of Persia, and Nolan North can take over. I assume that's how video game voice casting works (?).

#29 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

maybe he actually is drunk all the time?

#30 Edited by Skytylz (4037 posts) -

He doesn't do a very good job in Conviction based on what I've seen.

#31 Posted by Brendan (8027 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" @Brendan said:
" He has no range, and sounds like a drunken hobo in that game.  That's why. "
@sodiumCyclops said:
" He clearly told you what his beef was if you listened. He sounds like he's drunk and slurs his words. "
I didn't realise Jeff also posted under those pseudonyms. "

Or, yknow, I've seen footage of the game, and he sounds like a drunken hobo.  But yknow, the sarcasm is funny too.
#32 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
#33 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

I think he's awesome.

#34 Posted by onimonkii (2452 posts) -

maybe he was awesome at some point but he's right he really does sound like a drunk in conviction.

#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
"
 
no its more like 
#36 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
"
 
no its more like 
"

no its this
#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
"
 
no its more like 
"

no its this "
 
no im positive that it was nothing more than 
    
 
 
  
 maybe even a  
 
 
   
#38 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

He's pretty cool.  Not amazing, but I don't think Nolan North could have pulled it off this time.

#39 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -

Just played through the demo for the first time and... I really have no idea what anybody here is talking about. He sounded completely normal to me. On the other hand, I'm the only person on earth who liked Double Agent, so maybe theres something wrong with me.
 
And @DrPockets000:  Agreement. Nolan North would sound very strange in this role.

Online
#40 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
"@CL60 said:

" @Deusoma said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Lamashtu:  if he has beef with the guy, he has beef with the guy, stay the fuck out of other people's business "
Damn, man, he asked a legitimate question, it's not like he was prying into Mafia business or something, chill. "
Some people have an.....lets say..attachment to Jeff.  "arrr you said something about jeff?!?! arrr" "
Yeah. I'm quite sure many of these people have commissioned real doll versions of Jeff so they can do naughty things to him. "

Exactly my feelings. Sony fanboys, Xbox fanboys, Jeff boys.. (little slippery assmunchers in the making)
#41 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I don't like dudes in wheelchairs also.

#42 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -

Totally 100 percent agree with Jeff on this one. Played the demo and thought the voice acting for Sam Fisher was bloody awful, sounds nothing like the character and they simply don't match. Nothing against Michael Ironside, but Ubisoft seriously need to change the voice actor... it sounds so fake. To late now though I suspect... but still, don't often agree with Jeff on matters but totally do concerning this issue... awful.

#43 Edited by Belonpopo (1822 posts) -
@Binman88:
The footage you've seen in trailers is pretty bad, but the ingame vioces are better becuase the put different dialogue in that is not in the trailers. Probably because it's pertaining to the story. 
 Giantbomb hates everything Splinter Cell.
#44 Posted by Mmmslash (2169 posts) -
@Lambert:  No, Ryan is pessimistic and dissmissive. He's often times flat-out wrong, but he does at least manage to admit to it fairly quickly when proven otherwise.
 
Jeff is just pragmatic. He has the outlook that someone subjected to every major release could be expected to have.
 
Which it's not secret that I am a rabid Jeff fanboy, I don't feel that I am giving him any more credit than he deserves in this regard.
#45 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -

I don't know, I try not to embrace cynicism.  It's easy to not like things, however I find it more rewarding to just accept things even if it is a bit more difficult.
 
If that's how Sam sounds, that's how Sam sounds.
 
Also, as much as I'm not going to let a voice actor for a video game character get under my skin, I'm sure as hell not going to let someone's opinion of said voice actor affect me.  If he doesn't like him, it's his prerogative; if he has disdain for the guy, I'd say he has unresolved issues.

#46 Posted by snoopdye (87 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
" I don't know, I try not to embrace cynicism.  It's easy to not like things, however I find it more rewarding to just accept things even if it is a bit more difficult.  If that's how Sam sounds, that's how Sam sounds.  Also, as much as I'm not going to let a voice actor for a video game character get under my skin, I'm sure as hell not going to let someone's opinion of said voice actor affect me.  If he doesn't like him, it's his prerogative; if he has disdain for the guy, I'd say he has unresolved issues. "
Amen
#47 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

Finally getting my hands on the game myself, I can see why Jeff would say he sounds "drunk" sometimes, but I don't think that's the problem with his performance in this one. Honestly, I think a bit of his canadian accent surfaced more than usual, probably because he was away from the role for like 4-5 years.  
 
It's funny actually, Michel Ironside's brother was a science teacher at my old high school. 

#48 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" I don't like dudes in wheelchairs also. "
you probably liked this week episode of Lost then
#49 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

I did'nt really notice a sluring, of course I was'nt really paying an attention the voice acting so take my word for what it's worth.
#50 Posted by djz (134 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" He has no range, and sounds like a drunken hobo in that game.  That's why. "
I haven't noticed that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.