Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Why I didn't finish Splinter Cell Conviction (Spoilers)

• 69 results
    LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By LlamaLlama

I’ve been meaning to write this for a long time, but until now, it has simply been in the back of my mind. First off, gameplay wise, Splinter Cell Conviction is fine. Fantastic, a great reboot for stealth gaming.    

As a (aspiring) writer, I hold story as the key element of choosing my games (with a few exceptions), and Splinter Cell failed marvellously. If the story doesn’t hold me, if I have a major problem with the story, I’ll quit and that’s what I did. It’s simply a sad fact. Coming into Splinter Cell, I was eager for some espionage revenge. I was going to be Sam Fisher taking down the people who made the big mistake of killing his daughter.

But like most spy stories, there has to be a catch, a plot twist that captures you. And guess what? Sarah Fisher was alive. And I stopped playing soon afterwards. I felt cheated from my good story. We had been told that this was about Sam Fisher finding those responsible for his daughter’s death, dealing with his inner emotions as he went on and presumably coming to terms in the end. It wasn’t even that his daughter was alive that threw me off; it was that it was so poorly executed, like a slap to the face.

It was the third mission you find out about this plot twist and it felt as if the writers wanted to avoid any character development for Sam Fisher, once his daughter was alive, he didn’t need to change, didn’t need to come to any sort of terms. To me, it felt like a major cop-out from some actual character development, from an actual story. So I stopped playing, I had a lot of homework to do.    

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LlamaLlama

I’ve been meaning to write this for a long time, but until now, it has simply been in the back of my mind. First off, gameplay wise, Splinter Cell Conviction is fine. Fantastic, a great reboot for stealth gaming.    

As a (aspiring) writer, I hold story as the key element of choosing my games (with a few exceptions), and Splinter Cell failed marvellously. If the story doesn’t hold me, if I have a major problem with the story, I’ll quit and that’s what I did. It’s simply a sad fact. Coming into Splinter Cell, I was eager for some espionage revenge. I was going to be Sam Fisher taking down the people who made the big mistake of killing his daughter.

But like most spy stories, there has to be a catch, a plot twist that captures you. And guess what? Sarah Fisher was alive. And I stopped playing soon afterwards. I felt cheated from my good story. We had been told that this was about Sam Fisher finding those responsible for his daughter’s death, dealing with his inner emotions as he went on and presumably coming to terms in the end. It wasn’t even that his daughter was alive that threw me off; it was that it was so poorly executed, like a slap to the face.

It was the third mission you find out about this plot twist and it felt as if the writers wanted to avoid any character development for Sam Fisher, once his daughter was alive, he didn’t need to change, didn’t need to come to any sort of terms. To me, it felt like a major cop-out from some actual character development, from an actual story. So I stopped playing, I had a lot of homework to do.    

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Videogames are about gameplay. If you need a story or motivation to play a game, like it's a movie, you probally aren't a gamer. Ubisoft games doesn't have great stories, it mostly focus on the gameplay.

I'm not suggesting you aren't a gamer (I got this quote from pure pwnage jeremy, i'm sure your still a casual game if you like story over gameplay) however i'm saying gameplay is more important than story and presentation. Maybe you should play a bit more if you stopped right there at that story point. It's like saying I watched a movie and stopped watching it because I didn't like the first plot point.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bellmont42

Surprisingly... that was NOT the twist :P

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FlyingRat
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Videogames are about gameplay. If you need a story or motivation to play a game, like it's a movie, you probally aren't a gamer. Ubisoft games doesn't have great stories, it mostly focus on the gameplay.

I'm not suggesting you aren't a gamer, however i'm saying gameplay is more important than story and presentation. Maybe you should play a bit more if you stopped right there at that story point. It's like saying I watched a movie and stopped watching it because I didn't like the first plot point.

"
    That's a matter of opinion. Now stop being a douchebag.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @FlyingRat: I always dread all your replies. Hey if ppl likes games that's all story and no gameplay, maybe the op should try heavy rain. If that's their preference, I can't say it's wrong, however not all games has a good story. Maybe mgs4 will be a better suggestion.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Feanor
    @HitmanAgent47: Good thing you are not the authority of deciding who is a gamer and who isn't. We should just abolish that term anyways, it's such a bad label. 
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlyingRat
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @FlyingRat: I always dread all your replies. Hey if ppl likes games that's all story and no gameplay, maybe the op should try heavy rain. If that's their preference, I can't say it's wrong, however not all games has a good story. Maybe mgs4 will be a better suggestion. "

Then why don't you say that in the first place?  I just get fucking annoyed by your constant "My opinion is absolute fact." attitude that you seem to display in everything you post. But whatever, i don't wanna derail this thread any further, so go about your business.
    ELBUMBLERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ELBUMBLERO

WHY I DIDN'T BUY SPLINTER CELL: CONVICTION:

Because it's lazily-made shit. Also, no new Crystal Method or Amon Tobin soundtrack, so they can go fuck themselves.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HellBrendy

I loved Splinter Cell Conviction. True, the story wasn't "all that", but it was told in a great way, and the gameplay was beyond marveoulus (lol, spellcheck).  

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehexeditor

I didn't finish SCC because by the penultimate mission I got bored of the story and gameplay.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Feanor: How about the pro gamer know as the pwnerer?  

It's sort of what he said in this video. I mean do you need a backstory to play donkey kong, or tetris?  

This video is my commentary on the topic. I didn't say the op's preference is wrong for like the story more, however I basically quoted jeremy from what I said in the thread.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ErEl
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I'm not suggesting you aren't a gamer, however i'm saying gameplay is more important than story and presentation. Maybe you should play a bit more if you stopped right there at that story point. It's like saying I watched a movie and stopped watching it because I didn't like the first plot point.

"
    You're wrong here. It depends on what type of game it is. You could say movies aren't about the music featured in it, but if it's a musical of course this is a crucial element of the film. It works the same way with video games and the story.
    Shenanigans19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Shenanigans19
    @bellmont42 said:
    "Surprisingly... that was NOT the twist :P "

Yea I'd reccoment at least finishing it. It's not a terribly long game anyway and there is more to it than you may realize at the point in the story you got to.  
    I know what you mean tho about a good story. I think a good story can make up for a lot in a game, it can make you overlook some gameplay flaws if the story grabs you.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It doesn't mean splilnter cell conviction failed because of ubisoft's style of story telling. These are game directors, not movie directors and the medium doesn't have to be as well told as movie scripts. I don't know a ubisoft game where it had a great story, or a story that is told well. My quotes are from the video above, so it's not entirely my opinion, rather I agree with what the pwnerer said and his definition of a gamer.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By captainfish

@LlamaLlama:

Nice spoilers bro, good thing I don't give a shit about splinter cell.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bennyishere

I'm confused, if the gameplay was fine, why did you stop playing? I agree that the story was poor, but if you liked the gameplay, then you should play more... Or by fine, do you mean that it was not something you wanted to play more? If so, that's OK. I for one liked the gameplay quite a lot. That's why I've finished every Splinter Cell released and will continue to do so. Then again I finish all my games. Even the ones I don't enjoy. I have a lot of free time...

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nail1080
    @LlamaLlama: 
    you should use *spoilers* to indicate you are about to give away the story, you just ruined it for me, some people wait until they can find a game for cheap before they play it you know.

this topic should be locked or at least edit your post before you ruin it for other people
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By sagesebas
    @FlyingRat: He has a good point though, games are about gameplay, and I find the OP's statement odd seeing as MOST games don't have a great story.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FlyingRat
    @sagesebas said:

" @FlyingRat: He has a good point though, games are about gameplay, and I find the OP's statement odd seeing as MOST games don't have a great story. "

It was more how he said it that bothered me. Stuff like: "If you need a story or motivation to play a game, like it's a movie, you probally aren't a gamer." is fucking ridiculous, i mean, come on...
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yinstarrunner

Wow, this post just reminded me that I haven't finished Conviction either.  It's a shame, as Splinter Cell is one of my favorite series.  I guess I just blacked it out in my mind and now that you've reminded me that it exists, I still have no desire to go back and beat it.

The story was contrived, but that's not the reason I didn't like it.  They changed Sam Fisher into Jason Bourne.  Thanks, Ubisoft, this franchise used to be really unique.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By sagesebas
    @FlyingRat: I agree with you on that part it sounds kind of harsh, but the point he is making does make some sense.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @FlyingRat: watch that video I just posted, it said the same thing. I quoted that video from a pro gamer, then again you usually skip my videos and tries to find other ppl to rag on with half of your post. 

Sometimes negative ppl likes to argue with other percieved negative ppl because they have something in common. I stand by my point, the op only played like 30 percent of the game and the story shouldn't be what should drive ppl to finish a game rather gameplay. Also who plays a game for cutscenes and story only? over gameplay? I always thought gamers likes gameplay, then again you saying that's wrong?
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gaff
    satire Pronunciation: /ˈsatʌɪə/

noun

[mass noun]
    • the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Anyway...  
    @LlamaLlama:
    Yeah, I sometimes feel the same way. No offense, but I simply don't have the time spend hours at a time to hone my "skillz". I've got friends, I don't live in my parents' basement, I'm not in my late teens anymore, I've grown out of that blissful narcissism called puberty. The only way you can get me to sit in front of a TV for 8 hours is if you make it worth my time.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainCody
    @HitmanAgent47:
    Assasin's Creed-bad story: the fuck have you been smoking, Half of the reason I play games is FOR story, and I completely agree Splinter Cell: Conviction was overrated shit. If anyone in this thread thinks you're not a gamer if you find story the most important PLEASE go back to playing MW2 and being 12. P.S. I just watched Hitman's commentary video and if that is you please get the fuck off this site and go to xboxrepublic.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FlyingRat
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @FlyingRat: watch that video I just posted, it said the same thing. I quoted that video from a pro gamer, then again you usually skip my videos and tries to find other ppl to rag on with half of your post. "
    So because a youtube video said it, that gives your opinion more merit...? Or because it's a "pro gamer"? Of course a pro gamer would think that, he makes money playing games competitevly, so his focus is on gameplay and that's fine. But the OP's focus is more on story, which is fine too. That doesn't make him any less of a gamer.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @HitmanAgent47:  Listen to this man. After reading his posts on several different topics, I have realized that Youtube contains the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

You don't argue with fucking youtube.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @CaptainCody: okay, assassin's creed 2, they kill half his family, he turns into an assassin and gets revenge. Wow, great story. Modern warfare 2 did have a story, however the gameplay was what drew me to finish the game even if I hated the story. Should ppl not finish a game like crysis for example because the story sucks?

@FlyingRat:

You don't even know who jeremy is, from the t.v show pure pwnage, not suprising. He's not from youtube, you just keep discounting everything on youtube even if it's from other sources like his own t.v show. His opinion > yours or the op's. Honestly giving up on a game because they didn't like a part of the story? He just made a claim these ppl are noobs, or unskilled gamers. When I said your not a gamer, I quoted a part of that video so calm down. I'll edit that post to reflect that.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FlyingRat
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

@FlyingRat: You don't even know who jeremy is, from the t.v show pure pwnage, not suprising. His opinion > yours or the op's. Honestly giving up on a game because they didn't like a part of the story? He just made a claim these ppl are noobs, or unskilled gamers. When I said your not a gamer, I quoted a part of that video. I'll edit that post to reflect that.   "
    Oh wow.... You have got to be kidding me... You are insane, friend. And i am no longer arguing with you as i can see you're a lost cause. 
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gaff
    @FlyingRat: I would be careful with slagging off Pure Pwnage, the source of that video. The mockumentary and satirical views on the somewhat narcissistic nature of pro-gaming, or gamers in general, has won over quite a few souls.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    His opinion > yours or the op's.   
    And you wonder why no one likes you.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainCody
    @HitmanAgent47:
    YES, I don't give a fuck about another generic ass shooter that will somehow manage to try and impress me with z0mg GRAPHIX. When the day comes that you may finally get good at video games you'll realize that shooting a dude in the face gets old. Also, the fact that MW2 has you salivating justifies my premise that you are a multiplayer kiddie.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FlyingRat
    @Gaff said:
    " @FlyingRat: I would be careful with slagging off Pure Pwnage, the source of that video. The mockumentary and satirical views on the somewhat narcissistic nature of pro-gaming, or gamers in general, has won over quite a few souls. "
    Are you people serious? I don't give two shits how popular something is, if it's bullshit, i'll call it out as being bullshit. I don't care if it was the President of the United States who said that, it's ridiculous no matter what.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @FlyingRat: you said the same thing about my religious videos I posted. You are just a bunch of canned response trying to negatively rag on others as a way of venting. Next time you see me post on the forum, if you don't like my post, just ignore it. I don't need more of your negativity and canned responses. I mean the last new user I argued with had some mental problems I later figured out, so you shouldn't call me insane out of nowhere. I got like 50 replies in a thread from him and 100 more from a priv msg before I psychologically figured out everything about him, before he stopped posting here. Also stop ragging on other ppl's religious threads too with your negativity. If you don't like something, you don't have to dump your trash at other ppl's direction.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Binman88

Story was crap, and the gameplay was rather crap to be honest. Perfectly fine mechanics, just no challenge. Ubisoft knows their audience.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FlyingRat
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @FlyingRat: you said the same thing about my religious videos I posted. You are just a bunch of canned response trying to negatively rag on others as a way of venting. Next time you see me post on the forum, if you don't like my post, just ignore it. I don't need more of your negativity and canned responses. I mean the last new user I argued with had some mental problems I later figured out, so you shouldn't call me insane out of nowhere. "
    First of all, what the hell are you talking about with the last part. Secondly, i'm not the only one who's annoyed by your incredible attitude of thinking you're always right, i just happen to be the one calling you out for it at the moment.
    pectoral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pectoral
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "His opinion > yours or the op's. "
    Surely, you can't be serious? 

Right?
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FlyingRat
    @pectoral said:
    " @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "His opinion > yours or the op's. "
    Surely, you can't be serious?   Right? "
    Oh, he is though.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Binman88
    @FlyingRat said:
    " @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @FlyingRat: you said the same thing about my religious videos I posted. You are just a bunch of canned response trying to negatively rag on others as a way of venting. Next time you see me post on the forum, if you don't like my post, just ignore it. I don't need more of your negativity and canned responses. I mean the last new user I argued with had some mental problems I later figured out, so you shouldn't call me insane out of nowhere. "
    First of all, what the hell are you talking about with the last part. Secondly, i'm not the only one who's annoyed by your incredible attitude of thinking you're always right, i just happen to be the one calling you out for it at the moment. "
    Hitman is a professional troll dude, just stop replying.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainCody

@HitmanAgent47:
    Don't like someone's post on a forum, don't reply; this is how forums work.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FlyingRat
    @Binman88 said:
    " Hitman is a professional troll dude, just stop replying. "
    He can't be though, he has almost 5000 posts. This is just honestly how he thinks
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @FlyingRat: I argued with someone else (you didn't even read my post for the next post?) because he said the same thing, that he was annoyed I thought I was always right. He said something about calling you out of your arrogance or something. He wouldn't admit he was wrong at all, he had to be right or something (you realise i'm talking about someone else right a few months ago?) Later on I found out he was schozophrenic and has anger and self esteem problems. He left the forum after I revealed that about him. Most of his post was negative on the forum just like yours and to avoid the fighting, let's say I dealt with someone like you in the past. You might not be aware of it, however I know we won't get along. I will never speak to you again if you are like the last new user I argued with non stop. If you have self esteem issues and thinks i'm arrogant or think i'm always right, well that's your problem. I support my arguement with facts or at least points rather than saying your a douche or crazy without anything else. Also I am not trying to be arrogant, I just have an opinon that can be supported unlike you. I am legally sane and I have no mental illness since I went to a psychiatrist and they found nothing, however I do know psychology and I would need time to figure yours out, yet I don't care to. Good bye forever. 

In psychology ppl accuse themselves through others, if someone keeps saying your crazy first out of nowhere and you have no idea what they are talking about, the chances are they are projecting their problems on you.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gaff
    @FlyingRat: Ahem. 

"satire Pronunciation: /ˈsatʌɪə/

noun

[mass noun]
    • the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
    As I said before: I would be careful slagging off Pure Pwnage, the source of that video. The MOCKUMENTARY format and SATIRICAL views on the somewhat narcissistic nature of gaming, has won over quite a few souls. 

But I do think some people take the satire a bit too seriously.
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Bigrhyno

You should have mentioned spoilers. I just got this game for a cheap price on Ebay so I am playing it soon and got part of the story spoiled for me. It's not a huge deal though since I am not that interested in the story in the first place... I just enjoy a good stealth game.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FlyingRat
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @FlyingRat: I argued with someone else because he said the same thing, that he was annoyed I thought I was always right. He said something about calling you out of your arrogance or something. Later on I found out he was schozophrenic and has anger problems. Most of his post was negative and to avoid the fighting, let's say I dealt with someone like you in the past. I will never speak to you again if you are like the last new user I argued with non stop. If you have self esteem issues and thinks i'm arrogant or think i'm always right, well that's your problem. Good bye. "
    Dude.... did you just call me schizophrenic? I don't.... i don't even have words for how fucking out of your mind you are.... Christ, man... Okay, people were right. I should have stopped talking to him a long time ago. Sorry for dragging this on, folks. And sorry for doing this in your blog, OP. I'll stop now.
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I agree, the story was a letdown. Maybe they couldn't get any emotion out of Michael Ironside besides drunken slurring, so they rewrote the script?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dbz1995

This rivalry between FlyingRat and hitmanagent...it needs more hype!

I never played Splinter Cell: Conviction, but if you haven't tried out Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, or Metal Gear Solid (the whole franchise) I'd highly recommend them. All of them have pretty great stories (at least from what I've heard (other than the Metal Gear Solid franchise, which I recommend with all my heart)
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CaptainCody
    @HitmanAgent47:
    Anyone got a good internet tough guy picture? Guess ill just post this: 

UltramanJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By UltramanJ
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Videogames are about gameplay.

"

This part I agree with. I could care less about story as long as the gameplay is solid. Hell, back in the old days we didn't even have stories with our games!
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @FlyingRat said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " Hitman is a professional troll dude, just stop replying. "
    He can't be though, he has almost 5000 posts. This is just honestly how he thinks "
    I am honestly at a loss as to how hitman is still around on this site too - don't get me wrong i'd never try to say i know how to run these forums better than mods or staff , but god damn it's gotta be one of the wonders of the world how he still posts here  
    To disperse any feelings of sadness i have when i see a post by him in a thread im reading i simply picture this dude, and it cheers me up every time!  

No Caption Provided

Seriously dude, you don't want to argue with Hitman - he's a lover - not a fighter - but he's also a fighter, and can can disarm you with his arms and his words - ppls hangs on evry words he says! 
      (Protip -for cheap laughs check his status updates, ravings of a madman i tell you!)
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gaff
    @TheCreamFilling: From what I remember, Conviction went through at least one reboot. How much of the story got rewritten is unknown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.