Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Why is this game not coming to the PS3?

• 65 results
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Brendan said:
    " I think it'd be great if Conviction came to the PS3, but only if you Playstation people give us some God of War in return ;).  And Resistance.  And Killzone.  "

Ok, then you Xbox people need to erase the fact that Double Agent was released on the PS3 from every source.

In the topic - money talks, probably. I think it'll get ported finally with new shit, like BioShock or Alone in the Dark was.

drewm135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By drewm135

*sigh* man I love splinter cell games... Maybe it really is time to cave in and buy a 360. Which in all fairness I should've done a long time ago

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By veektarius

Microsoft had incentive to pay for the FFXIII port because they no doubt felt the game had the potential to increase the PS3's install base.  I'm not sure whether the facts of whether they did or not would be public information.
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#54  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Ubisoft has for some reason always put the Splinter Cell franchise on the Xbox first, maybe because of it's first steps on the Xbox or maybe for other reasons but it's always been there first and in some cases the ports to other consoles were handled not as well as I would have liked if I didn't own the xbox consoles. Seeing my friends play the games on their gamecubes made me sick, mostly because he managed to think it was ok despite the game not being able to handle shadows like it was meant to.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By WickedCestus
    @nyjetsfan5000 said:
    " *sigh* man I love splinter cell games... Maybe it really is time to cave in and buy a 360. Which in all fairness I should've done a long time ago "
    This is why.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

It is not exclusive.  It is on PC.  Xbox 360 RARELY gets exclusives.  I call it M$ exclusives.  Ubisoft will develop a PS3 exclusive anyway, unless M$ buys it too.  Just like Assassins Creed....

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By RisingRaiden

I REALLY hope it gets ported onto PS3, because I love all Tom Clancy games :( 
    Or maybe like Reaper said, and they will make the next Rainbow Six game PS3 exclusive :D

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#58  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @cstrang said:
    " Money talks.  Microsoft has money, and they threw enough at Ubisoft to convince Ubisoft to only develop for Microsoft platforms. "
    Which is weird because Ubisoft favored the PS3 with AC2.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Why is MAG not coming to Xbox 360? I help u convince microsoft to put 360 games to PS3 if u convince Sony to put PS3 games to 360.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " Why is MAG not coming to Xbox 360? I help u convince microsoft to put 360 games to PS3 if u convince Sony to put PS3 games to 360. "
    MAG is published by Sony. Sony is the creator of the PS3 (as I'm sure you knew) so it only makes sense for them to only release it on their home system.

Splinter Cell is Published by Ubisoft. Ubisoft is a 3rd party publisher/developer, so it has to take a lot of money to help them forget about the profit they could be making from another system.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @JoeRiccadonna said:

" Why is MAG not coming to Xbox 360? I help u convince microsoft to put 360 games to PS3 if u convince Sony to put PS3 games to 360. "

Like I said Xbox 360 has very few exclusives, there also on PC.  Games like MAG, Resisitance 2, Killzone 2, Uncharted(2) and MGS4 CAN NOT work on an Xbox 360!!  The game size is enormous!!  Xbox live can only allow 18 players in one match.  Where with PS3 I can't say, but I know it is a massive amount!  

Any game that starts up "Sony Pictures Presents"  I can almost completly promise you it will NEVER be on an Xbox 360.  

EDIT: Actually, really, how many games have been ported from a PlayStation 3 to a Xbox 360?  I can't think of any?
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Teirdome
    @cstrang said:

Here are some numbers for that fact:  Sony Corp (SNEJF) has a market capital around $30 Billion US as of the market close on New Years Eve.  Microsoft (MSFT) has market capital close to $271 Billion US. "

Right.  Because Microsoft is throwing all the capital for Office and Windows behind the Entertainment and Devices division (one that has only been profitable for 4 quarters since it launched) just like Sony is throwing all their TV capital behind SCE.  

Realistically, both are probably spending close to the same budget, but while Sony is paying bucket-loads for first party devs like Quantic Dream and Insomniac, Microsoft is spending their bucket-loads on marketing third party products like MW2 while scooping up timed exclusives to make their console more appealing.  Simply different console management philosophies.

So to actually answer the OP's question, it's because Sony maintains so many first party devs while Microsoft is more concerned with marketing/supporting good third party devs.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By buzz_killington

Microsoft probably has some "limited-time exclusive" deal with Ubisoft probably. I expect it to show up on the PS3 in a year or so. That's just money their turning their back to.

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By DaSmart1
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @cstrang said:

" Money talks.  Microsoft has money, and they threw enough at Ubisoft to convince Ubisoft to only develop for Microsoft platforms. "

Not true.

Microsoft heavily supported the series back when it first started and Ubisoft feel the series "belongs" on the Xbox and that they should be loyal in return and only release the game on 360 / PC.  There was no money involved, and while the higher ups may eventually decide to port the game over for more profit, it seems less likely to happen than other franchises going multiplatform.  It's exclusive because the developers want it to be, not because they're being payed for any kind of timed deal.
    Wow, do you believe everything people tell you? Business isn't about ethics and loyalty, it's about making a profit. If the developers really made this decision for this reason, it's extremely unorthodox. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @DaSmart1 said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @cstrang said:

Not true.

Microsoft heavily supported the series back when it first started and Ubisoft feel the series "belongs" on the Xbox and that they should be loyal in return and only release the game on 360 / PC.  There was no money involved, and while the higher ups may eventually decide to port the game over for more profit, it seems less likely to happen than other franchises going multiplatform.  It's exclusive because the developers want it to be, not because they're being payed for any kind of timed deal.
    Wow, do you believe everything people tell you? Business isn't about ethics and loyalty, it's about making a profit. If the developers really made this decision for this reason, it's extremely unorthodox.  "
    The same reason MGS4 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII are exclusive to the Playstation.  
    I guess that's also only because Sony are paying off the developers?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.