Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Why Splinter Cell Conviction Will Miss Holiday 2009

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Full Title: Why Splinter Cell Conviction Will Miss Holiday 2009: An Educated Guess (sans Michael Pachter)

Here’s the scoop: Assassin’s Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction, both developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft, are slated to hit this year. The former is a multi-platform release and Conviction will be a Windows PC and Xbox 360 game. Both titles enjoyed a huge deal of attention during June’s E3 conference in .

Too bad Splinter Cell won’t be enjoying a fall 2009 release.

Sam Fisher’s newest entry was subjected to a drastic overhaul after it was determined the game shared too many similarities to 2007’s breakout new intellectual property, Assassin’s Creed. The developers went dark and new information on the project dulled to silence. Upon it’s unveiling at Microsoft’s 2009 E3 press conference Splinter Cell: Conviction was heralded as one of the show’s finest new products and fan anticipation soared. Claiming more E3 awards than any other Xbox 360 title at the show, Conviction was immediately destined to become a blockbuster experience.

The Splinter Cell series has sold an estimated 19 million sales during its four game tenure while new IP Assassin’s Creed immediately sold 6 million copies between the PS3 and 360. Should that trend continue at a steady rate, three Assassin’s Creed titles could top Splinter Cell’s present mark. Conviction will raise the number, of course, but as far as sales figures show, Assassin’s Creed is likely to sell more copies of an individual release than a Splinter Cell title.

Ubisoft would be wise to distance these two behemoths this holiday season. Logic suggests they fill their relatively empty spring 2010 portfolio with the console exclusive Splinter Cell title and give Assassin’s Creed 2 the opportunity to sell on a multiplatform release this buying season.

Microsoft, having console exclusivity, will want a solid game to put up against Sony’s God of War 3 in March 2010 and I’m guessing they’ll want to beat that to market by a couple of weeks with Conviction. Ubisoft and Microsoft have a great relationship and Splinter Cell has always been a franchise associated with Xbox.

Taking a look into Ubisoft’s publishing and release history reveals several interesting facts about the Splinter Cell franchise:

• Regarding console exclusivity, no previous Splinter Cell title has failed to reach a Sony platform. The series’ only entry on the Playstation 3 system was Splinter Cell: Double Agent.
    • The original Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Double Agent were the only games in the series to release in the fall. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Splinter Cell: Double Agent both released in March of their respective years.
    • The last two major Splinter Cell games have been delayed after announcing an initial release date.

Gamers would undoubtedly love having both Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creed to play this year thanks to an ever-shrinking list of fourth-quarter titles, but the smart business choice for Ubisoft doesn’t cater to having both blockbusters on the shelves this fall.

Edit: Formatting issues. Sorry.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

good point. sucks for us

MitchellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MitchellKnight

You've ignored a few very important things:

• Splinter Cell fans have been waiting forever for this. They watched over-and-over as deadlines were missed and Ubisoft stayed silent. A lot of fans moved on to new franchises having felt like Ubisoft let them down. Many are angry enough that they refuse to buy the game, even now, because of how they were treated by Ubisoft. If Ubisoft pushed the release date again, especially for some stupid business game that Microsoft is playing, they'll lose a lot of fans for life.
    • I've seen preorders for this game everywhere. Amazon has the game listed as November 30th, 2009. If the release date is pushed, people will cancel their preorders and spend the money on something they can enjoy sooner. I've seen a number of news stories that point out gamers are spending more carefully. The money will have already been spent on other holiday "blockbuster" games and won't be around for a March 2010 release. Ubisoft would lose a lot of money to other franchises.
    If they push the release date again, I'm going to start calling it Splinter Cell: Forever.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

I am 100% interested in this title. It was not even on my radar till all the E3 shit. Im really hoping your points on exclusivity are correct. 

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ma7moud

This year is already bad seeing few good games getting released, if SC is delayed it will get much worse.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DJJoeJoe
    @MitchellKnight said:
    " You've ignored a few very important things:
    • Splinter Cell fans have been waiting forever for this. They watched over-and-over as deadlines were missed and Ubisoft stayed silent. A lot of fans moved on to new franchises having felt like Ubisoft let them down. Many are angry enough that they refuse to buy the game, even now, because of how they were treated by Ubisoft. If Ubisoft pushed the release date again, especially for some stupid business game that Microsoft is playing, they'll lose a lot of fans for life.
    • I've seen preorders for this game everywhere. Amazon has the game listed as November 30th, 2009. If the release date is pushed, people will cancel their preorders and spend the money on something they can enjoy sooner. I've seen a number of news stories that point out gamers are spending more carefully. The money will have already been spent on other holiday "blockbuster" games and won't be around for a March 2010 release. Ubisoft would lose a lot of money to other franchises.
    If they push the release date again, I'm going to start calling it Splinter Cell: Forever.
    "
    If you really wanted Conviction in 07 when it was Assassin's Creed: Sam Fisher's Adventures in open crowd stealthing then you really don't know when to wait for things well. If you are not excited about this particular Splinter Cell then I fail to see how you can be a fan, and the people complaining are individuals I don't want to hear whining in the game anyways so good riddens if a few effectively 'slash their rists in protest' by canceling pre-orders. It's been easy to see very good reasons for this game to be delayed, seeing some of the first footage of the game made me sick especially being so similar to AC but also just looking really bland. Heck there were next to no shadows, like what the hell would make ANYONE scream 'give me this game now!' :S I'm so glad they've taken the time to start over with the game and make something that actually suprised me this E3.

Ubisoft Montreal is in charge of this game, they were behind the first game and Chaos Theory, which in my eyes were the most enjoyable and coolest of all the games. The first info on the game was leaked in 06 and the game started it's overhaul in/around 08. To want it this soon would be stunting your own enjoyment.

You say these people have 'gone to other franchises' like you can only play 1 game or something, like you can only play Hitman or MGS or Splinter cell but not a combination of 2 or all three, and if you really think something like that, or that any number that's close to significant thinks that then you are living in a small small world.

Conviction looks amazing, you have lots of games from now till around March assuming that's when it's coming. Grab yourself a pre-order for ODST, sit down with that and hop from Alpha protocol/Forza/AC2 etc.

So many people are so vocal about being so picky and unsatisfied with games :S Just try and have some fun, if you're that serious to play some ArmA 2 :(

EDIT: You're obviously a big fan of the franchise, don't you want to wait till it's the best it can be instead of being greedy and taking it out of the oven too soon?
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Systech

Pachter has a completely viable point and I have to believe him to some extent. Ubisoft should have made it clear that Conviction would come out in 2010 at E3, but they kept pushing that it's coming out Holiday 2009.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By armaan8014

yeah.. it sucks but its true

MitchellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MitchellKnight
    @DJJoeJoe: You missed my point entirely. I was pointing out that Microsoft, or even Ubisofts quarterly earnings are a terrible reason to further push back a game that has been pushed back too much as it was. I've waiting for this game for what seems like years now (has it been years?) Ubisoft screwed up bad when they took the direction of AC, like you mentioned. Instead of apologizing to the community and fixing it quickly they let the AC idea drag on for another 6 months before they went silent and started essentially remaking the game. Now they've came out of nowhere, shown this amazing advancement of the Splinter Cell series and gave us a release date: holidays 2009. As I said before, if they were to push the date again at this point, it would be ridiculous. But if they pushed the date because of a Microsoft/Ubisoft quarterly earnings report that has absolutely shit to do with the release of the game then they can forget a lot of people buying this game. There are too many good games from good developers coming out for people to save their money for Splinter Cell, especially after Ubisoft has treated the loyal fans with the disrespectful AC rip-off and the announcements followed-by blackouts followed by announcements followed-by blackouts. You can only pay attention for so long before you say "screw it", i'd rather spend my money on something else.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I still get the feeling MW2 was also part of the reason... -sigh-

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Probably, but Assassin's Creed 2 will sell gangbusters this fall. They need a good game for spring.

MitchellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MitchellKnight

Ubisoft need to stop publicizing these games years before they're going to come out. It's not fair to the fans as it becomes less exciting and more annoying as the months roll by. If they can't make a deadline then they simply shouldn't give one. The appropriate amount of time to announce and show off a game before it's released is maybe 3 months.

My Splinter Cell money has now changed to my Modern Warfare 2 money. I'm sick of being teased by Ubisoft.
    DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

That sucks so hard that the game was delayed....again, but at least we are 99% sure it actually going to be released. For a while I thought this title was going to pull a Duke Nukem: Forever, which I believed fully until E3 2009.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.