Anyone worried about the PC version?

#1 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

So I was pre-loading Tomb Raider just a little while ago from Steam, and I noticed this article from PC Gamer was linked in the news tab for the game. It seems like a LOT of people on that site are worried about the PC version of the game because it wasn't released early for review like the console copies that were handed out this past week.

I don't personally put much stock into it, and I'm still happy that I preordered it. I got a copy of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light along with it, and some other nonsense I don't care about. Plus, I wanted to get in on all of the sweet TressFX action and see that awesome hair animation. It seems like those guys worry a little too much, but is anyone here concerned about it?

I normally don't preorder for safety's sake, but I couldn't resist with console versions getting high review scores. What do you all think?

#2 Edited by Cykke (56 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

I normally don't preorder for safety's sake, but I couldn't resist with console versions getting high review scores. What do you all think?

They already reported that the PC version would be the best version and if they were going to delay it, it would have been done already, not two days before release.

#3 Edited by Pr1mus (3872 posts) -

No because Nixxes handled the PC version and they're the one who made the PC version of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Hitman Absolution and they turned out great.

#4 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

@cykke: They weren't worried about delay, just the fact that review copies of the game weren't handed out.

#5 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

you tell me when I can install cleaner skin on an xbox and then i'll be worried

#6 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

no because TRESS TECH

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11834 posts) -

No, because hair physics :P

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -
#9 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -
#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

I can't imagine the PC versikn would be WORSE... and even if it is slightly janky or something, it was still almost half price.

#11 Edited by Yummylee (21506 posts) -

Seriously? People should be creating threads about their worries concerning the console versions if anything. There's obviously a much higher chance that you're left with a shoddy console job than you are a PC port these days. That may change once the new consoles come around, but until then it's apparently been like a Golden Age of PC ports.

#12 Posted by zenmastah (891 posts) -

And with the next gen consoles being more like PCs im sure the future ports will be pretty damn good also, i mean Watch_Dogs is already being made to PC and then ported over to consoles.

But yeah, Nixxes doing the port so im not worried, although just installed Deus Ex Human revolution and there was some serious stuttering before i found a registry fix to fix it so im hoping there wont be any stuttering on Tomb Raider.

Also looking forward to dat Hayerrrrr

#13 Posted by Cykke (56 posts) -

@killacam said:
@colourful_hippie said:

@animasta said:

no because TRESS TECH

@beachthunder said:

No, because hair physics

NVidia jealousy...

AMD is nice enough not to lock down the TressFX Tech. Anyone with a good enough card, Nvidia, AMD, or otherwise, will be able to use it in the game.

#14 Posted by Linkster7 (1023 posts) -

I was under the impression they didn't give out early copies because they didn't want it to leak.
All things seems to point to a pretty great PC release

#15 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

If Nixxes is making it, I wouldn't worry.

#16 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@cykke: Wow, that's really cool of them. Hopefully the 660ti can handle it.

#17 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

I think the people doing the PC port are the same ones behind the PC versions of Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I say chances are good on having a more-than-decent port of this game.

#18 Posted by Cykke (56 posts) -

@killacam said:

@cykke: Wow, that's really cool of them. Hopefully the 660ti can handle it.

That's probably way more than capable. I have a 560ti and I can handle Skyrim on max with tons of those HD and custom textures, beautify mods and crap. I think you're set!

#19 Edited by Dagbiker (6969 posts) -

In the last few years I have not had a bad port from Square Enix. I have had better PC games. But in terms of ports, none better.

#20 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -
#21 Posted by zenmastah (891 posts) -

First shot ive seen of the PC version, those textures look pretty damn good.

#22 Edited by AssInAss (2618 posts) -
#23 Edited by zenmastah (891 posts) -

Yeah, ill take rock solid 60 over hair any day.

DAT HAIR!

#24 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

@zenmastah said:

First shot ive seen of the PC version, those textures look pretty damn good.

TREE SEX! (edited for harshness)

#25 Edited by DarkStar33Cdn (6 posts) -

Nope.

Nixxes does good work, it has the same graphical options / benchmark found on games like sleeping dogs, dues ex, hitman.

#26 Posted by kishinfoulux (2282 posts) -

I had no interest in this game, but now I'm about to impulse buy the PC version. Damn it. >_>

#27 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (388 posts) -

Playing on PC and I can also confirm that it looks great!

#28 Edited by HoM3R (206 posts) -

Didn't want to make a new topic for this, but can anybody tell me what high precision option does in pc version? Looked online and its something about almost making your resolution bigger so input is more precise per pixel, but cant find anything related to gaming about it.

Wanted to add that as a nvidia card with yesterdays simcity driver installed, tressFX destroys my framerate. Reminds me of playing Mirrors Edge with a ATI card and PsychX on. Heard Brad say that it wasnt ATI exclusive, but whatever it is Nvidia still needs to put it into their drivers.

After playing about a hour I found its running really solid min20fps avg40 max60fps on 560ti with everything max only TressFX off and Depth op field normal. Dont know how much bigger the areas will get but game looks really optimized for pc.

As a final note would like to add that TressFX only kills the realism. Because with the normal hair it looks greasy and full of blood and sweat, but with TressFX it looks like Lara can get in a nice shower and shampoo wash every morning and thats just not realistic given the circumstances .......

#29 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

@hom3r said:

Didn't want to make a new topic for this, but can anybody tell me what high precision option does in pc version? Looked online and its something about almost making your resolution bigger so input is more precise per pixel, but cant find anything related to gaming about it.

i just assumed it was a frame delay setting

#30 Posted by zenmastah (891 posts) -

Seems like a good port to me, been running on everything High/Ultra with FXAA at a solid 60 for two hrs now, no FancyHair or Tesselation cos it seems tesselation causes crashes and i dont care for the hair that much, ill take the frames instead.

Good looking game and the animations are excellent.

#31 Edited by Tearhead (2161 posts) -

@zenmastah said:

Seems like a good port to me, been running on everything High/Ultra with FXAA at a solid 60 for two hrs now, no FancyHair or Tesselation cos it seems tesselation causes crashes and i dont care for the hair that much, ill take the frames instead.

Good looking game and the animations are excellent.

Yeah, same here. There is a big issue with Tessellation on Nvidia cards where the game constantly crashes to desktop. And I had no idea it would cost so many frames to be able to see dat sweet ass hair.

#32 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

Aww man, I wish my copy would work!

#33 Edited by Teoball (591 posts) -

If anyone get a message that says that "direct3d failed to initalize" just turn off Exclusive Fullscreen. That worke for me at least.

I'm running it with everything turned to max on a Geforce 680 and it's smooth as hell. Really enjoying it.

#34 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

It's too bad I had to turn off Tress-effect and tessellation to fix all my crashing, but at least I got a ton of frames out of it and the game is more stable now. It looked better with tessellation on though. Hope they fix the problems soon.

#35 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -

seems good to me

I played a little hour yesterday and everything worked like a charm.

#36 Edited by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Played about four hours of the PC version. It's fantastic. Looks amazing, runs butter smooth on my highish-tier system.

#37 Posted by zenmastah (891 posts) -

Ive played further on and there are areas where framerate takes a hit recardles of my settings so im thinking this is a engine thing, kinda reminds me of GTA IV in a way.

Usually when overlooking big areas etc.

#38 Posted by Zurv (442 posts) -

any one else getting wacky hair like this?

#39 Posted by GiroMindTricks (63 posts) -

I can't get past the campfire where you unlock fast travel, game either crashes to desktop or locks up my entire system. I've tried all the 'fixes' to get it to work on a 600 series card but no luck. I'm gonna leave it for a few days and hope a patch or driver update sorts it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.