Chocking QTE and Button Prompt on PC

#1 Edited by Vivek (517 posts) -

Within the first hour of the game there is a sequence where Lara is being chocked and involves a Quick Time Event (QTE) where the player has no idea what to press, leading to repeating the scene continually.

I am playing on the PC with a keyboard and mouse and at no point prior or during did the game tell me that 'F' is to melee attack, which seems to be the key needed. Also the large circle shrinking to smaller circle prompt does not explain that you do not have to match their sizes but just hit the prompt when the larger circle shrinks within the smaller one.

I failed the scene at least ten times until pausing and looking at the menus for a key that I had not yet tried and looking on the web, it appears that I am not alone.

Did anyone have this issue? And does it play out differently on a console/with a controller? Just felt as if it had not been play tested and it was in no way obvious what was required at such an early point in the game.

#2 Posted by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

Somebody else posted about this, so you're not alone. If you use an XBox controller on the PC version, you'll see buttons as per normal QTE fare. It's pretty strange that the keyboard controls don't work properly!

#3 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I pick up my Xbox controller whenever there's a QTE, then put it back down.

However if you don't have one then your problem isn't solved (yet)

#4 Posted by Zelyre (1166 posts) -

Yeah. Had this same issue. I guess ! = F and Fist = E.

I was having a really great time until I had to watch Lara get choked to death at least a dozen times. I eventually plugged in my 360 controller. Which disabled my keyboard and mouse in game. I found the aim-assist way too forgiving with the controller plugged in. (duck out of cover, cursor snaps to enemy's head.)

Switched back to KB/M until the wolves and then stopped playing. I'm going to hold off on a patch. The QTE events don't come up often enough for me to remember that ! = F in the few seconds you need to use it, but QTEs come up often enough that it ruins the flow of gameplay when I have to watch Lara die again and again and again and again.

#5 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

Yeah I have this same problem and it still bothers me even after completing 25% of the game. I was pissed during the quick look when I saw that the button prompts are where you need to see what to hit. On PC it's on the bottom if you're lucky. It'll say, "mash E !" or something.

I think they were trying to compensate if you changed your layout so that the QTE icon wouldn't show an E even though you changed it to mouse 4 or something. But they fucked it up even worse.

#6 Edited by Humanity (9014 posts) -

The QTE prompts on the 360 version seemed weird at first and I missed those a bunch as well. I don't know if it's going to be the case for the entire game but so far it has ALWAYS been Y so now it's not an issue anymore.

#7 Edited by Demoskinos (14722 posts) -

Im way into watching girls getting chocked had they included Lara being choked that would have crossed the line of good taste.

#8 Edited by English (159 posts) -

I'm at 50% completion on PC and used to the QTE prompts at this point. It is really stupid, the button prompts should have more of a color differential (Both E and F prompts are red/orange) and show the required key instead of an image prompt that doesn't mean anything to anyone (though admittedly this would require some work as it would have to take into account key rebindings and uncommon buttons). You can however tell that the developers took failing QTEs into account; they have handy checkpoints right before all of them.

#9 Posted by Nictel (2399 posts) -

Yeah I died about ten times there. "Hey see this symbol? Press the key that corresponds to this symbol to which we gave NO EXPLANATION AT ALL.". The QTE are about my number 1 cause of dead but it isn't stopping me from enjoying the game.

#10 Posted by Mister_V (1255 posts) -

Even with a 360 controller plugged in the timing on some of the QTE's is real tight!

#12 Edited by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

Weird. I thought everyone who played on PC mapped their controls first. Must just be me.

#13 Edited by Ares42 (2611 posts) -

I mentioned this in the first impressions thread. Had the exact same issue with that cutscene, but think I figured it out by the fifth try or something. If I remember correctly though during the tutorial they do show the icons, but only after they've already given you the "hit E" tooltip. So if you're quick on the trigger you barely notice it. Haven't really had much issue with it since that cutscene though, quick learner I guess =)

#14 Posted by Ares42 (2611 posts) -

I mentioned this in the first impressions thread. Had the exact same issue with that cutscene, but think I figured it out by the fifth try or something. If I remember correctly though during the tutorial they do show the icons, but only after they've already given you the "hit E" tooltip. So if you're quick on the trigger you barely notice it. Haven't really had much issue with it since that cutscene though, quick learner I guess =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.