Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Failed to Initialize Direct3D

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By colourful_hippie

So Tomb Raider unlocked on Steam but I can't play because when I press play in the launcer a dialogue box appears that says "Failed to Initialize Direct3D". Doing some searching on the matter it looks like the problem is unique to nvidia users. I guess that's what I get for preordering.

It's eventually going to get fixed but I'm just giving a heads up. At least I didn't pay full price for this so I'm not too bummed about waiting to play something that I've been curious about.

EDIT: Someone in the Steam forums helped me out with this fix. For those of you having similar issues try downloading this registry file. Unzip, right click, then merge, and you should be set. It worked for me and it turns off exclusive fullscreen which seemed to be the problem for people.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ares42

Turn off exclusive fullscreen.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

options in the launcher, top right corner.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

@ares42: Pressing options just causes it to crash.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds bad, but ye fixed the "Failed to Initialize Direct3D" for me, and several other people according to steam forums. Try validating or something I guess ?

Avatar image for informationhigh
    informationhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ares42: Pressing options just causes it to crash.

Try this, it at least let me get into the options:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846946775331888860/#c846946775332549723

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@informationhigh: I'm way too lazy to do any of that right now. I'll just wait for the eventual fix, thanks though.

Avatar image for informationhigh
    informationhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@informationhigh: I'm way too lazy to do any of that right now. I'll just wait for the eventual fix, thanks though.

Yeah it sucks, I had to re-verify my files and now it's downloading 1.1 GB of something. Apparently people with nvidia cards are getting tons of crashes also. PC master race.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jams

@informationhigh said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Yeah it sucks, I had to re-verify my files and now it's downloading 1.1 GB of something. Apparently people with nvidia cards are getting tons of crashes also. PC master race.

I'm getting a weird graphical glitch right now myself. Uploading a video on youtube incase.

Loading Video...

My game just crashed while I had it paused to pour another cup of coffee. frak

crashed again while I was playing. well I'm done for the morning.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By tearhead

@jams: Yeah, I'm getting that same graphical glitch too. Rolling back to NVIDIA driver 310.90 allows me to play with tessellation on without crashing. Also had to turn off stupid hair thing (TressFX) 'cus that eats up too many of my frames. Which sucks, 'cus I kinda like the stupid hair thing, even though it's kind of distracting in a real uncanny valley sort of way.

Ethereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I am on newly purchased/installed Sapphire HD7850 and got the same error. If you turn off exclusive full screen you can get it to launch. Then it seems when you are messing with the settings, switch the basic settings level to custom and leave "exclusive full screen" unchecked. Also maybe try to do all of your settings tinkering in the launcher and not the game. This is obviously not ideal. Looking for more info on a fix if anyone has one.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

This tip helped me fix my problem A++++++++++++++++++++++++ would read again

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

@ares42 said:

This tip helped me fix my problem A++++++++++++++++++++++++ would read again

It would have fixed mine but pressing options causes the launcher to crash, had to use another fix.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cloudnineboya

Colourful_Hippie go into steam folder look for steamapps/common. then click on DXSETUP and that should update for you it might work helped me before with a problem i had once .

mavismoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mavismoog

I have tried un-checking exclusive fullscreen.

I have tried "regedit" and altering the value to 9 on the "RenderAPI"

I have tried contacting Steam Support (what an appalling service!)

Nothing has worked for me., I am still getting the Error "Failed to initialize direct 3d with current settings".

I hope I can get my money back because I've just about lost patience with this crap.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Errr so this thread has 32,871 views. Hmph

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.