First Review out.

• 89 results
#51 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

Ahh yes, Tuesday can't come soon enough, too bad it's NEXT Tuesday ..

#52 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I don't know guys. I want to get this game, but when the media calls it "an open world survival game", when clearly it isn't; well it turns me off. Maybe that because I wish survival sims will become a real genre in the future.

#53 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@jams: It is a survival game in that the game throws a bunch of generic dudes at you, and if you don't kill them, they'll kill you. So they're not totally wrong. :)

#54 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

Good to know my $60 won't go down the drain. Then again, I had high hopes for this to be incredible after watching all 3 episodes of "Guide to survival".

#55 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

Hmm, any insight on multiplayer yet?

#56 Edited by djou (860 posts) -

I hope at least one review directly addresses how the gameplay is different than Uncharted, if at all. Forgetting from the banter of who ripped off who, the Uncharted series set a high bar for the third person action, cave/tomb/dungeon exploring game and this game doesn't look any different than Uncharted 3. Don't get me wrong, I would love to play another Uncharted-esque game especially on the PC, but does this build on that formula? Seems like they mixed in Batman style melee and QTE events, taken some of the levity out of the tone/atmosphere but anything else?

#57 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

Hmm, any insight on multiplayer yet?

Alot of reviews seem to not dig the multiplayer. If anything, it's basically a poor man's Uncharted multiplayer.

#58 Posted by Vanek (381 posts) -

@meltac: I heard that line almost cringed. I like a lot of things about the game but the voice acting for Lara is definitely not one of them.

I'm glad the reviews all seem pretty positive as this could have easily gone really badly. I love the idea of it being more open world and still having optional tombs, though how many I don't know, so I'm looking forward to it. I have noticed reviews are split when it comes to the multiplayer, but I don't really think I'll touch that unless it does something different or I end up really liking the combat mechanics.

The one thing I've been looking for is word on the console versions though. I've read a few reviews and so far I haven't found anything mentioning them. I would like to know how they turned out.

#59 Posted by TangoUp (307 posts) -

I haven't looked through all the reviews yet, but if anyone has, is there any mention of New Game+ features? Or single player bonuses like Uncharted used to have in 1 and 2 with costumes/guns/special modes?

I'm not much of a multiplayer-person so single player re-playability is key. I was shocked to learn Uncharted 3 didn't have those bonuses/extras.

#60 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

I watched the GameTrailers review and while I haven't played the game I don't know why they get so caught up with the fact that you dispatch hundreds of baddies throughout the campaign. Nathan Drake is a likable guy but how many people do you mow down in the Uncharted games? I guess there is the dissonance that TR is a "coming of age" story of sorts but I mean, hey, videogames right?

#61 Edited by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@humanity: Yup. We're sort of set up to believe that Lara is young and inexperienced now, yet she is godlike in combat. So nothing has changed from the Original and this Reboot in regards to that which I "guess" can be seen as a little odd. Hence I'm not a huge fan of the previous games. At least the girl wears more than hot-pants now although she refuses to wear more even when it snows, according to Eurogamer.

#62 Edited by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

I will never understand the complaint of there being too much third person shooting in a third person shooter. That's like there being too many martial arts fights in Street Fighter.

#63 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@brodehouse: Like @AlisterCat said, I'd really like to see that she grows in terms of personality and skills throughout instead of going straight to bad-ass mode. That perhaps the animations go from a bit clumsy to more seasoned veteran-like later in the game, that'd be cool.

#64 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Are there no wild animals in this game? I guess there's zero chance I'll find a raptor deep inside a tomb. :(

#65 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@coafi: I've seen her interact with wolves and hunting a deer or something like that, so there are animals yes.

#66 Edited by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@funkydupe: They could have tried a bit more of a survival angle where you have limited ammo and each encounter should be weighed against the possibility of simply sneaking by. But then it's not really Tomb Raider anymore as those previous games were as much combat as they were puzzle solving and Lara is known for her double pistols (which I think are strangely absent in this game, or I've never seen them in any footage thus far)

@brodehouse: I can understand some complaints levied against a coming of age story that suddenly turns into a bloodbath every couple of minutes, but at the same time it also has to be a fun videogame. Saying that seeing experience bonuses for headshots ruins the plot is a little silly seeing as how you said it's a third person shooter. What I will give them is that from watching a single video review Lara's "finisher" attacks are strangely brutal - for instance the close up shotgun kill where she specifically shoves the gun barrel under the baddies chin before blasting his face off. Fortunately this generation of games hasn't evolved to model body damage appropriately yet. Imagine future games where a similar kill would procedurally generate realistic skull explosions, exposing brains and tendons as half a face is blown clean off? I can't wait.

#67 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@humanity: Reviewers say that there are less puzzles than they had expected. I thought the reboot was them trying to reinvent Lara Croft from ground up as a more believable/emotional character, not just by finally giving her some longer pants. She doesn't have the twin pistols yet because, either she's not that character anymore, or she acquires them later in life and sticks to them like the old version of Lara.

#68 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

@mrhadouken: Well, I was becoming more and more skeptical about how this game was looking, but judging by IGN, GameInformer and Gamespot's reviews I'd say this is a pretty exciting and successful action adventure game. I am stoked for that. It's a bummer when games let you down, but so much sweeter when they surprise you.

#69 Edited by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@funkydupe: Well I don't know I'm going to go into it with a positive mindset. I skipped out on Meta Gear Rising as I am not that huge a fan to replay a game 15 times to S rank it and $65 for a 5hr campaign isn't enough for me. I'm hoping Tomb Raider will be a relatively longer term game for me, especially since you can explore around the island and I like any sort of upgrade system that has character progression.

#70 Edited by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

88 on metacritic with 6 reviews for PS3 so far and 86 on xbox with 29 reviewers, so that's a really good start.

#71 Posted by GunstarRed (5044 posts) -

I've been worried about some stuff about the game for a while. I think the combat looks cool and hearing from a couple of reviews that there is a real emphasis on platforming I'm even more excited. The thing I was most worried about though is totally in the game after a little bit of spoilery google research.

Supernatural nonsense!

Mega excited about playing this (even if I do kinda miss the stylistic look of the last three games a little.)

#72 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

I've been worried about some stuff about the game for a while. I think the combat looks cool and hearing from a couple of reviews that there is a real emphasis on platforming I'm even more excited. The thing I was most worried about though is totally in the game after a little bit of spoilery google research.

Supernatural nonsense!

Mega excited about playing this (even if I do kinda miss the stylistic look of the last three games a little.)

It's just too bad you'll be too busy playing Gears: Judgment to put in any time for Tomb Raider, though!..

#73 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@yummylee haha Oh Yummy always the jokester! Why would I play another Gears game when I can instead dive into a brand new experience?

#74 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

I'm glad it's looking to be a character-driven action game. I grew up with Tomb Raider, so I'm pretty excited.

#75 Edited by altairre (1139 posts) -

@funkydupe said:

@beachthunder: Yes! That's one of the main issues with it from what I've gathered. I wonder why they felt they had to make it so similar to Uncharted in that regard. A game can be interesting, involve exploration and survival aspects and still be exciting even though you're not fighting constantly; it can even make the fights you do engage in more memorable. Here we can read that she's basically killing hordes of enemies on her own; a really steep start for the first game in a more 'realistic' reboot of Tomb Raider.

That's one of the reason I appreciated I am alive so much. Yes it was a budget game and yes their concepts didn't quite work out the way they should or could have but at least it tried something different and stuck to it but for a big AAA title it seems impossible to go down that road (eventhough I hope The Last of Us proves me wrong). Everything just turns into a shooter eventually where I literally kill hundreds of dudes with this girl who supposedly never killed someone before in her life. I get that it's easier to design a third person shooter than to make confrontation with one or two guys challenging and interesting but it takes all the suspense out of enemy encounters. In addition to that the red exploding barrels are really goofy and out of place. Turrent sequences and red barrels: my two best friends in modern videogames.

#76 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

@altairre said:

@funkydupe said:

@beachthunder: Yes! That's one of the main issues with it from what I've gathered. I wonder why they felt they had to make it so similar to Uncharted in that regard. A game can be interesting, involve exploration and survival aspects and still be exciting even though you're not fighting constantly; it can even make the fights you do engage in more memorable. Here we can read that she's basically killing hordes of enemies on her own; a really steep start for the first game in a more 'realistic' reboot of Tomb Raider.

That's one of the reason I appreciated I am alive so much. Yes it was a budget game and yes their concepts didn't quite work out the way they should or could have but at least it tried something different and stuck to it but for a big AAA title it seems impossible to go down that road. Everything just turns into a shooter eventually where I literally kill hundreds of dudes with this girl who supposedly never killed someone before in her life. I get that it's easier to design a third person shooter than to make confrontation with one or two guys challenging and interesting but it takes all the suspense out of enemy encounters. In addition to that the red exploding barrels are really goofy and out of place. Turrent sequences and red barrels: my two best friends in modern videogames.

Eh, even in I Am Alive (which I still really liked btw), you'll have killed a lot of bandits by the end of that game. In fact that was definitely an issue I had with it, how those initially innovative approaches to combat become ridiculously formulaic and only got more prevalent as the game went on.

#77 Posted by MonetaryDread (1993 posts) -

The game has been on torrent sites for about a week now. My friend Troy downloaded it on Friday and tells me that it is one best games of the generation.

#78 Edited by altairre (1139 posts) -

@yummylee: It became rather formulaic towards the end but I still liked the approach better than the one in Uncharted 3 for example (you rarely fight more than two or three guys at one time except in that ridiculous ending sequence). I felt like there was more suspense and uncertainty about the outcome eventhough you could pretty much feel how the budget ran out while coming up with and designing concepts to implement into the overall gameplay and combat in particular.

#79 Posted by Ares42 (2590 posts) -

The gametrailers review caught me quite off-guard. I'm sure it had a lot to do with their editing, but I did not expect their interpretation of "mature gaming" at all. While I'm sure others will scream about violence and gore in videogames I just found it so over the top that it's just gonna constantly break immersion. If they're trying to tell a serious story right next to gameplay that could be compared to Mortal Kombat in ridicolousness it's just gonna fall flat. A lingering shot of your character struggling as they're dying from being impaled on a spike doesn't make a game mature, it makes it silly. Mortal Kombat embraces that with it's silly story, this game seems to have missed that point.

#80 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

IGN giving it a 9.1 is pretty funny.

#81 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@barrock: as in why not 9.0? Or why is it funny?

#82 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

Really excited for the PC version.

#83 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@barrock: as in why not 9.0? Or why is it funny?

Just the fact that they added that .1 is funny to me. I can understand adding a .5. But a .1 just looks strange.

#84 Edited by san_salvador (145 posts) -

@funkydupe said:

88 on metacritic with 6 reviews for PS3 so far and 86 on xbox with 29 reviewers, so that's a really good start.

Metacritic is NEVER a good start.

That's where journalism goes to die.

#85 Posted by drac96 (668 posts) -

Did the gametrailers video review not make sense to anyone else? It was fairly negative throughout the entire thing, so I was surprised when an 8.5 came up at the end. I'll have to go back and read the written review to see if that gives off a different vibe.

#86 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

I saw the IGN review by Keza. She really enjoyed the game and she loves Dark Souls so I'm going to believe that the game is fantastic.

On a side note are the white knights still trolling this game? I haven't heard from them in a while.

#87 Edited by Village_Guy (2507 posts) -

Matt Miller at Game Informer gave the game a 9.25 for the 360 version.

The general positivity towards the game is a little surprising to me, I'm probably getting this pretty close to release now.

#88 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

Pretty gnarly death near the end of the video.

#89 Posted by Sidewalkchalk (122 posts) -

that video was hilarious. and yes that death made me cringe a little.

#90 Posted by zenmastah (879 posts) -

I really like those brutal Dead Space style deaths, dont care for all the QTEs though..

Still pumped for this, cant wait for next week and i hope theres a pre-load on Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.