Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

How can a 360 game look this good?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

<p>Unfortunately i have only ever played games on consoles as i no nothing about computers in a hardware sense and would be too scared to ever buy one because i wouldn't even know where to start. So most of the time i am completely okay with the quality of visuals you tend to get on a console,(there are some exceptions like far cry 3 or crysis 3 where i can tell it would be so much better on pc.) Anyway to the point, i got Tomb raider today and have put about 5 hours in and have been genuinely floored by the way the game looks, it also runs quite well. I just don't understand how you can take really old hardware and produce something like this.</p><p>Sorry if my grammar is bad, I'm writing this on a windows phone and the box is tiny so i can't see what im typing too well.</p>

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

lol I like that you're asking this in the actual 'Question' format. Anywhoo while console games naturally pale in comparison to their PC counterparts, some are able to surprise and look relatively OK. Hitman Absolution first springs to mind where I was stunned that a console game (and a multi-platform one at that) can still manage to look that good.

Happy to know that Tomb Raider is also perfectly fine on consoles.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat 1280x720 resolution.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThePaleKing

Because a lot the assets in the game are not "real", that is to say there is a lot of pre-rendered (the assets and lightning are loaded when you enter that level) lightning and ambient effects going on, as opposed to a game like Crysis where most of the graphical effects are dynamic (they are loading and changing on the fly). It's the same way Alan Wake worked, or before that Resident Evil on the gamecube - you've got this narrow path which features some dynamic effects going but everything around you is like a snow globe of highly optimized graphics.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think the game looks that great tbh. I'm playing on 360 and the character models and animations are pretty standard. This could be due to me just finishing DmC, but the graphics look pale in comparison.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a gaming pc but i wouldn't know what i was looking for or even where to start.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The "Wind Temple" area when you first get the shotgun looks really great. Theres this weird "noise" effect and I almost wish they used it everywhere else.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Magic.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

@yummylee said:

lol I like that you're asking this in the actual 'Question' format. Anywhoo while console games naturally pale in comparison to their PC counterparts, some are able to surprise and look relatively OK. Hitman Absolution first springs to mind where I was stunned that a console game (and a multi-platform one at that) can still manage to look that good.

Happy to know that Tomb Raider is also perfectly fine on consoles.

Fucking Eidios man. Don't underestimate them. That was an absolute get for Squarenix.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By colourful_hippie

@zenmastah said:

Dat 1280x720 resolution.

lol this

The console exclusives all come to mind as the highlights of graphical power, except they longer wow me as much cuz I've grown accustomed to 1080p or more for everything.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would love a gaming pc but i wouldn't know what i was looking for or even where to start.

Here.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have yet to play the game (planning to though) but just from looking video footages of the game on YouTube, I was under the impression that the graphics were just standard (character model looked a bit muddy). But good to know that the console version is looking great.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@yummylee said:

lol I like that you're asking this in the actual 'Question' format.

I came in here to just say that. Like he expects us to know how to answer that. Oh you're so silly, pompouspizza.

More on track with this actual discussion, I am glad to hear that it plays and looks good on consoles. Now I just wait, for Gamefly is shipping it now.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail

Based on footage I've seen of the 360 version, I think the game looks just normal. It looks okay I guess, but nothing special.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I played it on the 360 and it does indeed look very good, but it's not like this is the first game to look spectacular on the 360. Gears 3, Halo 4 and the Dead Spaces look equally as good. I just guess it's because the consoles have been around for so long at this point that the developers know how to get all the juice they can out of them, kinda like how so many of the late PS2 games looked amazing.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redbullet685: Now I'm going to admit a very silly error I made...I was writing the topic on my phone and a little check box appeared that said something along the lines of 'let people answer this topic' and I had never seen that before so I assumed (very stupidly, because it makes no sense whatsoever) that if I didn't check the box people wouldn't be able to reply to the topic. Yes I am ashamed but there I said it.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred: You are right all them games look fantastic, two others that come to mind are Devil may cry and Hitman absolution. But for some reason Tomb raider is the one that made me stop and think about it.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears of War 3 still better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.