Is Lara is too attractive/pretty?

• 152 results
#1 Posted by KneehighPark (14 posts) -

Personally, I think she looks a lot more 'realistic' this time around. I know that term gets thrown around a lot, but when coupled with more realistic graphics, the cartoony proportions of the original Lara would have looked weird, to say the least.

I've heard some people think she looks a bit too pretty/busty, but I think she looks fine, and when compared to other female characters attire, I wouldn't really say it's revealing. And no designer is going to make a character look ugly...

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3778 posts) -

She has just the right amount of baby fat. She's the right type of pretty..

#3 Posted by TheHT (11769 posts) -

good grief.

#4 Posted by LiquidPrince (16166 posts) -

She's pretty. So what? Drake is handsome. So what? They're digital. So what?

#5 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

she's completely fine, but her eyes freak me out... is she supposed to be half Asian or something? is that A Thing Lara was in the old games?

I mean she should probably be a bit more muscled but it's not a big deal

#6 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

PC mods will prove you wrong

#7 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

Too pretty for what?

#8 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -
#9 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Conan sure likes her:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

#10 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

She has just the right amount of baby fat. She's the right type of pretty..

Really hard to tell if that was said as part of the marketing or not. Says a lot about how terrible they handled it either way.

#11 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

This will go well.

#12 Edited by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

@theht said:

good grief.

This times a thousand.

#13 Posted by TheSquarePear (198 posts) -
#14 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

she looks like a real person, so no. She is not "too pretty."

#15 Edited by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

I think her boobs could get bigger and THEN she is perfect.

I think Cortana is way over the edge compared to Lara.

#16 Edited by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

No she's not pretty enough, also her clothes should be more revealing, also that rape scene was too short.

#17 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

what's wrong with her faaaaaaaaaace

#18 Posted by itspizza (446 posts) -

Its not that she's overly pretty or busty that bothers me, its when they do the obvious 'over the shoulder, look the down the shirt shots' that just make me sigh.

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

This isn't weird and creepy at all.

#20 Edited by Aegon (5823 posts) -

It's not about whether she's pretty, it's about how emphasized her prettiness is.

#21 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

don't talk about my girlfriend

#22 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

It's pixels...

#23 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

I prefer Lara "pyramid tits" Croft.

#24 Posted by zenmastah (989 posts) -

No and no.

I think they did a good job in creating her appearance.

#25 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I'm just waiting for the inevitable motdef video where he completely breaks tressfx in this game and makes Lara look hilarious.

#26 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@aegon said:

It's not about whether she's pretty, it's about how emphasized her prettiness is.

this is accurate, though since i have not played the game I wouldn't know.

#27 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

Oh God.

#29 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

@animasta said:

@aegon said:

About 4 hours in, her looks are not mentioned even once.

#30 Edited by JadeGL (962 posts) -

No, she's not, at least from what I have seen.

However, I wish women in games that are supposed to be asskickers would look more like, well, asskickers. My main example is Commander Shepard in Mass Effect 3. I envision my Shepard, when she takes off her armor and relaxes in civilian clothes, to have a body built like Gina Carano or Ronda Rousey. Absolutely beautiful women, but they also have muscles from actually fighting and training. It's the same problem that movies have really. I'm sorry, I don't buy that Zoe Saldana can beat up huge dudes in Colombiana because she looks like a stiff breeze will knock her over. And it's also why I enjoyed Haywire so much as a film. They had a woman doing action scenes that looks like she does that kind of stuff all the time!

So Lara is pretty, and not overly so, but I don't know if I can suspend my disbelief depending on just how crazy they take her scaling rock faces or beating up people twice her size. I guess we'll see as the game progresses.

#31 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I dunno, she looks fine to me...

#32 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

As soon as her facial animations kick in, Lara has a serious case of the derps. Throw in that her pre-rendered alter-ego looks like it's made of sex toy silicon flesh and we have a strong argument for "no, this videogame character isn't 'too pretty'."

Then someone brings up her simian crawling movements and we all agree that Lara looks dumb most of the time.

what's wrong with her faaaaaaaaaace

Too many pizza rolls.

#33 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

I can't wait for the clean faces big booty mod

#34 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2402 posts) -

Its not that she's overly pretty or busty that bothers me, its when they do the obvious 'over the shoulder, look the down the shirt shots' that just make me sigh.

Sums up my feelings as well.

#35 Posted by FLStyle (4916 posts) -

I'm more concerned with her running and jumping here, there and everywhere with a hole in the side of her stomach than what she looks like.

C'mon people! Don't make it all gritty and survivalist and then have her survive things a normal human being has no right to survive.

#36 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@animasta said:

@aegon said:

mentioned? That's not necessarily what I mean... things such as leering gazes at her backside or something to that effect

#37 Posted by mrfluke (5340 posts) -

#38 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@flstyle: It makes her more aerodynamic.

Later on she gets set on fire so she moves faster.

#39 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

She looks just fine. Nothing exaggerated.

Personally i'm more a Chloe Frazer type of guy.

#40 Posted by FLStyle (4916 posts) -

@flstyle: It makes her more aerodynamic.

Later on she gets set on fire so she moves faster.

ugh this game

#41 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

No, she's naughty.

#42 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@animasta said:

she's completely fine, but her eyes freak me out... is she supposed to be half Asian or something? is that A Thing Lara was in the old games?

Racism.

#43 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Is Nathan Drake too attractive!?!?!?!? Is Samus too attractive!?!?!?!? GAMESSSSSS!!!!?!?!?!?

#44 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -
@jasonr86 said:

@animasta said:

Racism.

well I don't mind I always just thought she was stereotypical haughty brit...admittedly haven't played any beyond like, the first one (and 20 minutes of legends), so I wouldn't know

#45 Posted by 49th (2844 posts) -

Yeah, it just makes me want to protect the shit out of her, it's distracting from my enjoyment of the game.

#46 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@phatmac said:

Is Nathan Drake too attractive!?!?!?!? Is Samus too attractive!?!?!?!? GAMESSSSSS!!!!?!?!?!?

Hot games

#47 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@animasta said:
@jasonr86 said:

@animasta said:

Racism.

well I don't mind I always just thought she was stereotypical haughty brit...admittedly haven't played any beyond like, the first one (and 20 minutes of legends), so I wouldn't know

Just giving you shit.

...you racist.

#48 Edited by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

@animasta said:
@slashdance said:

@animasta said:

@aegon said:

mentioned? That's not necessarily what I mean... things such as leering gazes at her backside or something to that effect

Sure, there's that, but do you think it's intentional ? I mean if you're crawling in a tunnel in a third person game, you're gonna see a butt. Maybe I'm being a little bit naive on this one, I don't know.

Her being pretty isn't really part of her character, not in a negative way at least. That's what's more important to me. She's not sexualized or objectified.

#49 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@jasonr86: yeah well I want answers! it's not like this topic is some bastion of awesome discussion and planning anyway (the OP introduced this person that doesn't actually exist in the thread so far as a point of contention).

#50 Edited by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@animasta said:

@jasonr86: yeah well I want answers! it's not like this topic is some bastion of awesome discussion and planning anyway (the OP introduced this person that doesn't actually exist in the thread so far as a point of contention).

This is a topic that shouldn't exist at all as far as I'm concerned but you know. I guess I just see people as individuals and not based off of dumb shit like the quality of appearance and their gender and etc etc etc. Gotta love the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.