Is Lara is too attractive/pretty?

#51 Edited by aznjon12 (201 posts) -

She'd be prettier with a sexy Nolan North voice.

#52 Edited by TheHumanDove (2521 posts) -

Im scared I might look at her butt and transform her into a sex object like Conan! AHHH

#53 Posted by BestUsernameEver (5025 posts) -

@bishna said:

I dunno, she looks fine to me...

How did you get gravity daze playable on PC?

#54 Edited by Strife777 (1735 posts) -

Call me sexist and say my priorities are in the wrong place or whatever but I don't feel like playing an ugly female character.

An average looking one wouldn't stand out enough.

#55 Edited by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

Should video game characters talk?

I've got a better one:

#56 Posted by SmilingPig (1370 posts) -

If you are into baby fat...SURE!

#57 Edited by KneehighPark (17 posts) -

OP here

To people suggesting my topic was a waste, I just wanted to hear diff. opinions. I also brought it up to see if some people thought that any controversy regarding her looks would be a waste of time.

I'm fine with the way she looks, and as some people stated, we don't expect male characters to look ugly either. Just look at Nathan Drake for example.

#58 Posted by BisonHero (8446 posts) -

She's pretty booblicious.

#59 Posted by The_Ruiner (1337 posts) -
#60 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

OP here

To people suggesting my topic was a waste, I just wanted to hear diff. opinions. I also brought it up to see if some people thought that any controversy regarding her looks would be a waste of time.

I'm fine with the way she looks, and as some people stated, we don't expect male characters to look ugly either. Just look at Nathan Drake for example.

When I made my comment it wasn't necessarily directed at you though what I'm about to say might make it sound like I'm irritated at you or something like that. I'm not. What I'm about to say I've been guilty of just as everyone else, man and woman, has. But it's just sad to see that this even needs to be discussed. How many threads have their been about how muscular the gears guys are or, with your example, how attractive Nathan Drake is?

We all like to have all sorts of different reactions to sexism in video games. We hate to love or love to hate any article on sexism. But no matter where you fall on that topic the reality is if this game came out with a male character this topic wouldn't even be thought of to be discussed. Simply her gender alone, free of any other variable, led to this being a topic. And that is sad because, to me, that comes with the assumption that deep down we still think of women as objects to rated on things like attractiveness. I would hope we would reach an time when we could have topics on female characters that discuss their attributes as individual and not only their attributes as a women.

#61 Posted by pyrodactyl (2712 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

She looks just fine. Nothing exaggerated.

Personally i'm more a Chloe Frazer type of guy.

naugthy dog should really work on their eye tech. All the reflexions in her eyeballs look weird

#62 Posted by Toxin066 (3383 posts) -

She's datable, but not jerkoff material, if that's what you're asking.

#63 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

@icemael said:

Too pretty for what?

That's the best question here.

#64 Posted by GERALTITUDE (4333 posts) -

Yeah, she is.

Her and every other video game woman - scratch that - her and every other woman in movies and on TV. And you know what else? They're all too white. And you know what else? They're all too rich. And you know what else? Well I'll tell you what else. Only thing worse than pretty rich white girls in games are their male counterparts. Is there time for me to talk about Asian ninjas and black clowns too?

I've been dying to play as a chubby funster with bad skin for a super long time. And who knows, the next generation is right around the corner...

#65 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4011 posts) -

She's juuuuuust right.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) (i'm gonna keep doing winky's till it gets creepy you guys, tell me when) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

#67 Posted by joshthebear (2704 posts) -

It feels like we're getting dangerously close to the Creeper Cam zone.

Loading Video...
#68 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (4011 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

She's juuuuuust right.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) (i'm gonna keep doing winky's till it gets creepy you guys, tell me when) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Keep going.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) what if i throw in a few "know what i'm sayin?" ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) know what im sayin? juuuuust right ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

#69 Posted by Stonyman65 (3030 posts) -

I think they did a much better job with her this time compared to the older versions. The whole 24-inch waist with the huge 36F tits thing was kind of ridiculous especially in the more recent games.

She looks fine. More realistic and proportionate. Not like a brunette Barbie Doll like she used to be.

#70 Posted by KneehighPark (17 posts) -

@jasonr86:

Good points, and I agree with what you said. I see what you're getting at -- that by bringing up this question of her attractiveness, we are setting a standard in which we judge women based on their beauty. And yeah, it's weird how I run into debates about women's looks in games more than guys, and let's be honest, guys are usually way more fit than an average male would be.

I'm a fan of Alan Wake on that note. Runs 5 seconds, out of breath :P

#71 Edited by big_jon (6154 posts) -

I would have preferred a smaller chest, simply because she is so athletic, and D cups would not allow for the sort of thins she is doing, I refer 'realism' in these sorts of games, but I like her look, she has a unique, beautiful face, also looks like she does a ton of squats.

#72 Edited by Crysack (448 posts) -

I cannot believe there are people in here who are attempting to discuss this seriously.

#73 Posted by Hunter5024 (6365 posts) -

Okay real talk for a second guys. Sexuality has always been a big part of her character, and I don't really mind that, though it never really registered to me while I was playing previous games in the series. In this one however, I am genuinely distracted by how beautiful this fictional video game character is while I am trying to play the game. Now, is this my fault, because I'm a super creep, or did they simply fail to desexualize her as they intended? I can't tell, so I'm reluctant to knock them for it, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if maybe they were just a little more manipulative about it this time. Is it actually an element of the game, or is it just a problem I'm bringing to the table on my own?

That being said, is this a problem ladies have with Uncharted? Drake is a hell of a man after all.

#74 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2532 posts) -

@big_jon: There's like zero realism in this game, though! She has a rod through her that she just takes out. There's no way she wouldn't get killed from having a freaking hole in her body and then taking so many falls that look like they should have broken her neck.

#75 Edited by Crysack (448 posts) -

Now, is this my fault, because I'm a super creep, or did they simply fail to desexualize her as they intended?.

Did they ever intend to do that? I severely doubt it.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having an attractive character in a video game - they are supposed to be a form of escapism after all.

#76 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5211 posts) -

Okay real talk for a second guys. Sexuality has always been a big part of her character, and I don't really mind that, though it never really registered to me while I was playing previous games in the series. In this one however, I am genuinely distracted by how beautiful this fictional video game character is while I am trying to play the game. Now, is this my fault, because I'm a super creep, or did they simply fail to desexualize her as they intended? I can't tell, so I'm reluctant to knock them for it, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if maybe they were just a little more manipulative about it this time. Is it actually an element of the game, or is it just a problem I'm bringing to the table on my own?

That being said, is this a problem ladies have with Uncharted? Drake is a hell of a man after all.

The model they hired to base Lara Croft on is drop dead gorgeous.

It stands to reason that at least some of that would rub off (hur hur) on the in-game model. So no, you're not a creep for thinking she's pretty.

#77 Edited by Animasta (14820 posts) -

@crysack said:

I cannot believe there are people in here who are attempting to discuss this seriously.

there really isn't though

#78 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

@animasta said:

@crysack said:

To be fair, I was serious with the OP once and he got it and we had a moment.

#79 Edited by deathstriker666 (1349 posts) -

@bishna said:

I dunno, she looks fine to me...

Seeing the textures in a different channel only exasperates just how weird her face looks. Why are here eyes so far apart? She looks... alien and not because of the glitch.

#80 Edited by StarFoxA (5257 posts) -
#81 Posted by Hunter5024 (6365 posts) -

@crysack said:

@hunter5024 said:

Now, is this my fault, because I'm a super creep, or did they simply fail to desexualize her as they intended?.

Did they ever intend to do that? I severely doubt it.

At least comparatively speaking. Previous games had her changing into skimpy new outfits every level. This game at least gives her proper human proportions.

@animasta said:

@crysack said:

Uhh I said "real talk" you can't possibly get more serious than that.

#82 Edited by Nictel (2659 posts) -

BREAKING NEWS: Pretty girls are not only outside but in videogames too!

#83 Posted by HoM3R (226 posts) -

Been trying to place her voice for 2 days now and just looked into it, can anybody say hot british nanny from Californication. Being reminded of that places a hole new perspective on how Lara got on to that ship in the first place.

Ow Charlie Runkle, you so crazy

#84 Edited by OfficeGamer (1120 posts) -
This, my friend, is where the words "too attractive" apply

#85 Posted by PillClinton (3352 posts) -

Physically fit people capable of the feats performed by Lara Croft/Nathan Drake/etc. are generally attractive by human evolutionary standards. An overweight, unattractive Indiana Jones-style action hero just doesn't play.

#86 Posted by TruthTellah (9635 posts) -

No.

#87 Posted by MedalOfMode (314 posts) -

She is digital man, sorry.

#88 Posted by Binman88 (3707 posts) -
#89 Edited by Ghostiet (5596 posts) -

The fact that such a question is even asked shows how immature the audience is.

If anything, her beauty helps emphasize how destroyed she gets throughout the game - there's a sequence where she walks through a cave system in a "Carrie" make-up.

#90 Posted by UlquioKani (1283 posts) -

Size doesn't matter

#91 Edited by Winternet (8238 posts) -

She could always be prettier/more attractive.

#92 Edited by Brodehouse (10518 posts) -

Now I'm wondering if this is because she's a woman or because she's digital. Because I can't see anyone approaching Camilla Luddington and going "you're too attractive to be taken seriously".

#93 Posted by Abendlaender (2993 posts) -

But she is always dirty....I'm waiting for a mod

#94 Edited by golguin (4537 posts) -

Too pretty to be in a game or to pretty to be hurt? That's the real question.

#95 Edited by PretentiousHack (43 posts) -

Regardless of that feminisms lady with the earings tropes vs whatever, the truth is most people who play games are males and males enjoy looking at a nice face and pair of tits. It is written in our DNA and stuff. It helps sell, so do it. It enhances the males enjoyment of the video game. Woman are a minority who only play titles such as the sims and popcap games.

#96 Posted by OfficeGamer (1120 posts) -
#97 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3876 posts) -

@pretentioushack said:

Woman are a minority who only play titles such as the sims and popcap games.

Nailed it.

(Do I even have to point out that I'm being sarcastic?)

#98 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4713 posts) -

Hair that's static-y to the point of appearing sentient is a huge fucking turn-on for me.

#99 Edited by Animasta (14820 posts) -

Hair that's static-y to the point of appearing sentient is a huge fucking turn-on for me.

this game is actually a prequel to bayonetta, funnily enough

#100 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4713 posts) -

@animasta said:

@markwahlberg said:

this game is actually a prequel to bayonetta, funnily enough

I don't think anyone would complain if the next Tomb Raider was made by Platinum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.