My initial thoughts

#1 Posted by Happenstance (455 posts) -

My copy arrived this morning so I've played some of the game.

So far I'm loving it. Its a beautiful looking game, very cinematic. The GB guys sure werent kidding though about graphic deaths, I got crushed by a boulder quite early on. I also agree with the complaints that ive read about the UI popping up at terrible moments. The game is so cinematic that when you are looking out over the Island or the ocean but suddenly get a tool tip about XP pop up it pulls you right out of the moment.

Loving the bow, if I can then I plan to use that most of the time in the game I think. I dont usually like stealth in games but its working nicely here.

Lara as well is really well done I think. I enjoyed the first 3 Tomb Raider games but never really cared about her one way or the other, she was just a bit too larger than life. They've done a great job humanizing this Lara though.

I may have just not been paying proper attention but it does feel like a bit more explanation could be used on things. I still dont know when its saving the game (I assume either when I stop at a campfire or just at certain moments) and I had to go ask on Twitter what the point of hunting animals was.

Overall though a great first impression. Cant wait to put more time into it.

#2 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

XP pop up

Wait wait wait - you get xp? Like, experience points? DON'T TELL ME THIS GAME HAS RPG ELEMENTS or I am condemned to buy it.

#3 Posted by Happenstance (455 posts) -

Yeah I think you have to get a certain amount of XP to unlock the next stages of the upgrade paths

#4 Edited by GunstarRed (4746 posts) -

Yeah, I'm liking it a lot too, although it took a little warming up to it. It starts a bit quick time eventy. As soon as I got the shotgun in the spooky giant monster temple things really started picking up. I feel like Lara learns how to be an expert mass murderer with little ease, it seems weird how easy it is to storm through rooms stabbing people in the throat and smashing them in the face with rocks and axes.

Tons to collect, an almost completely useless skill system and some abysmal voice acting. Lara is ok sometimes, but every so often she gets really theatrical with her lines... It can be a little offputting. The game plays really, really nicely though.

#5 Posted by realph (251 posts) -

I'm about an hour in. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that I've become spoilt with the Uncharted games, but this game doesn't quite fill its boots. The character facial animations are a bit jarring and the enemy AI seems to be a bit all over the place. Early days still though.

#6 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Playing through it now.

Feels like Uncharted without the heart and soul.

#7 Posted by Humanity (8001 posts) -

@realph said:

I'm about an hour in. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that I've become spoilt with the Uncharted games, but this game doesn't quite fill its boots. The character facial animations are a bit jarring and the enemy AI seems to be a bit all over the place. Early days still though.

Wait until you get to the unique part of the game when you start unlocking new gear. First time you go back to an earlier hub and all of a sudden you see all this stuff you can do now that you didn't even know you could do before - it's pretty great.

#8 Edited by Zekhariah (694 posts) -

I just started into PC. I can only handle the "High" setting, and kind of have to back off anti-alias from 8x down to 4 for frame rate with a GTX460 / Phenom II X6 type setup. But it is what I thought Uncharted 2 was supposed to be (but was not to me).

The TressFX thing is impressive though. And I appreciate a game that can pull a rig down to 1-2fps if you really want all of the effects / max everything out. It seems like it scales well though, considering how nice it looks on my hardware rather low clock AMD chip and 3 generations ago GPU.

#9 Posted by Ares42 (2448 posts) -

I'm fairly suprised at how good of a game it is, while at the same time suprised at how poor the story is :P Was not expecting as much of a exploration/traversing feel as it has, but rather the standard "shoot some guys, cutscene".The first hour or so gave me a sorta creepy feeling though, as if the game was made for sadists or something. She just takes beating after beating after beating as if someone's really enjoying making that stuff. As with everything else in the story, it's just not earned at all so any attempt at evoking some sort of immersion just falls flat.

Also, pretty silly how the QTEs on PC doesn't actually have button-prompts, had to do the first QTE sequence several times just to figure out what buttons I was supposed to push.

#10 Edited by kishinfoulux (2082 posts) -

@ares42 said:

I'm fairly suprised at how good of a game it is, while at the same time suprised at how poor the story is :P Was not expecting as much of a exploration/traversing feel as it has, but rather the standard "shoot some guys, cutscene".The first hour or so gave me a sorta creepy feeling though, as if the game was made for sadists or something. She just takes beating after beating after beating as if someone's really enjoying making that stuff. As with everything else in the story, it's just not earned at all so any attempt at evoking some sort of immersion just falls flat.

Also, pretty silly how the QTEs on PC doesn't actually have button-prompts, had to do the first QTE sequence several times just to figure out what buttons I was supposed to push.

Wait so how does it work then?

#11 Posted by Ares42 (2448 posts) -

@kishinfoulux: It shows different symbols that represent certain buttons, like a fist for E and some explosion or something for F. While I think they might've made the connection at some point before that they never pointed it out.

#12 Posted by Zekhariah (694 posts) -

@ares42: Always fun how that works out.

With a gamepad plugged in it just defaults to xbox 360 symbols. Seems to permit both, but it feels like a controller game, especially when traversing. I thought the storyline was better than Uncharted :D>. But yeah, stories in videogames....

#13 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

First impression after about 3 hours playtime: AWESOME

#14 Posted by golguin (3674 posts) -

I've played the game just past the part where Lara gets a gun. I think it's pretty amazing. Exploring the environment has been pretty fun and I already feel that upgrade itch kicking in with all the light RPG elements. The opening has some pretty amazing cinematic camera angles and the tightness of the shots really give off that feeling of being in a cave.

#15 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1205 posts) -

I played for a good hour and finished the "tutorial" section as well as the following area and am very pleased so far. Looks nice even with significantly lowered settings due to my aging PC (in comparison to the potential maximum), plays very well and has an interesting setting. It has more of a mild horror/ survival vibe than I honestly expected. Creepy atmosphere here and there. The first area is definitely not really open-world-like but pleasantly spacious for some exploration without feeling lost or restricted.

The skill system seems very light on first glance but does succeed in getting me hooked. The characters are cheesy and relatively stereotypical so far but in a fun way at least for me. Ms. Croft is fucking awesome though, but then again I as a fan would say that, and her friend Sam seems to have potential for some deeper development. Very nice first impression, I'm excited to really get into the game.

#16 Edited by Zurv (415 posts) -

TressFX is crazy town for me. The hair is freak'n out :) maybe it is crossfire (or just bad amd/ati drivers). I'll upload some video at 2560x1600 on ultra settings if anyone wants to see it.

I tried it on my other computer with 2 gtx 680s... no crazy hair. good job amd/ati.. have your tech work better on the other guys cards than your own :P

#17 Posted by Happenstance (455 posts) -

Just completed the game. I would say this is an early candidate for my game of the year, I absolutely loved it.

I felt like maybe the story or other characters werent the best I would have hoped for but the gameplay and Lara herself along with the presentation of the game really helped pull it up for me. I cant wait for a sequel.

#18 Posted by TangoUp (309 posts) -

@happenstance said:

Just completed the game. I would say this is an early candidate for my game of the year, I absolutely loved it.

I felt like maybe the story or other characters werent the best I would have hoped for but the gameplay and Lara herself along with the presentation of the game really helped pull it up for me. I cant wait for a sequel.

Finally someone who completed it. Does it have costume unlocks for single player? Any new game + features? Any special modes in single player?

Thanks

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4610 posts) -

I've got a real shitty week of school but I plan on picking this up during the weekend.

#20 Posted by Happenstance (455 posts) -

@tangoup: Not that ive seen no. It just tells you what percentage you were at when you completed the story and then lets you back onto the Island to carry on.

#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So far it's ok. Only have a few issues with it all.

#22 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4289 posts) -

The game is gorgeous and it has been a lot of fun to play. I'm happy with my purchase.

(Lara is 99% of why this game is pretty)

#23 Edited by Veektarius (4164 posts) -

Good to hear this stuff. Is Eidos the new standard-bearer for high quality AAA Western development?

#24 Edited by GunstarRed (4746 posts) -

Finished it about an hour ago, the last few sequences are amazing. There's a section in the middle with burning buildings that manages to out-Uncharted Uncharted. I really like that game, It's probably the best game I have played this year so far, but it does have a couple of really confined areas that are a bit too enemy spammy. A brilliant first shot at New-Lara.

#25 Edited by mtcantor (922 posts) -

I'm a little more than halfway in... I think. I love this game. Playing it on PC and it is one of the best looking, best playing games I have ever experienced.

It's so good.

Also, comparing this to Uncharted... some of you folks have some rose colored glasses on. Uncharted has super shitty gunplay. It always has had it. Uncharted has always succeeded despite this. This game plays far better than uncharted ever has.

#26 Posted by Happenstance (455 posts) -

I cant decide if I prefer this or Uncharted 2 more but I definitely think its better than Uncharted 1 and 3.

#27 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Currently the best way I would describe it, is a darker uncharted with worse dialogue but actually enjoyable to play. Also the hair has totally lived up to the hype.

#28 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

@ares42 said:

@kishinfoulux: It shows different symbols that represent certain buttons, like a fist for E and some explosion or something for F. While I think they might've made the connection at some point before that they never pointed it out.

I had this problem, it was really bad. I had to jam on every key they taught me to use before I found the right one to keep me from getting crushed.

#29 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

2 hours in: Fun as hell having a good time.

#30 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1205 posts) -

I finished the game now and, damn, did it deliver on those good impressions. Really couldn't be happier. I'm glad the reboot turned out so well. Even some of the characters get a little more depth and break the stereotype-mold slightly. The upgrade and skill system turned out to be more in-depth than I anticipated, the story wrapped up well and Lara's arc really payed of very nicely in the end. I really got into the various weapon mods and had a lot of fun with that. Towards the end there really are some excellent traversal segments that seemed a little under-represented otherwise. The optional tombs are short and sweet but very entertaining and offer a solid challenge in later versions (there seem to be 11 plus the 'Survival Edition' one I don't have).

It's very beefy content-wise (from the perspective of 84% completion of main and side stuff) and manages to be pretty rich in variety throughout. I'm excited to see where Crystal Dynamics are going to take the game from here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.